Advantages and Dis. of PS3 UT2007

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vault

May 29, 2005
Well as we know Epic has stated that UT2007 will come to consoles. PC first and then consoles.

Advantages (in my veiw)

the game will run better on PS3 than PC (probably) and the Xbox 360 (most definatly)

the game will be smoother graphically than PC (most PCs that is) and the 360

the Blu-Ray disc will allow Epic to add more things to the game that PC and Xbox 360 might not have (built in Red Orchestra, Frag Ops, bonus packs, community mod content etc) this wild claim, i can back up. since the 360 version will not have nextgen disc, the content will be limited, it is ruled out. Heres the juicy part. Pc version will most likly consist of 4 dvds. with the limits of the discs pushed there will be no room for things that were part of the "Make something Unreal Contest" like updated versions of RO, and FO. With the extra space of Blu-ray, these things can be added into the PS3 vesion and come with the game. Since modders will all over the Unreal Editor, you bet a lot of maps will be made by modders between the PC release and the PS3 release. So Epic can take all these modder made maps and mutators and package them on the PS3 version, coming with the game. Assuming this happens, the PS3 version will be nearly caught up with all the content in PC version when it is launched.

Well, mister, what about the modder made stuff after that.... i dont think the console modders' stuff is any good, you might be thinking maliciously. Well, Epic can certainly transfer the PC modder made stuff, and put it up for download on the consoles. e.g. Lets say Timmys makes a map for UT2007 on his PC, its good. so he lets all the world see it and play it. Epic see the maps, and says hey, thats a good map. So they download the maps, and transfer it to the PS3 version with a few enhancments, posting it on the marketplace, letting all the PS3 owners enjoy Timmy's map. and this will happen all over the world and a lot.

Security. we all know that PCs arent the safest enviroment, with all the hackers, spyware and viruses.. its just scary.. Well, since the consoles are just a wittle bit safer, the PS3 Ut2007 will be less likely to be corrupted by other people.

But what about my precious mouse and keyboard, mister? you might ask. Well since the PS3 has like 6 USBs, im sureyou be able to plug in a m/k, and if Sony doesnt make any for gameplay, im sure 3rd parties will. And since Epc wants have a big amount of people buys the game, wthye will most certainly make the PS3 version support m/k.

But wouldn't the 360 and PC have better online play? you might ask. Not nessesarily. Since PS3 is coming out later, they will most likely ripoff LIve or make a better service (free or not... i do not know.. or care) the PC online might actually be the losing side because as many PC owners PCs will be straining to push out decent graphics for game, there will lag. (no loading though, that is confirmed) and with PS3s power sharing tech, there will most likely be no lag whatsoever.

Disadvantages

i cant think of any right now. but when i do ill edit them in later

Note: I expect some flaming out of this post, i wont stop you so just go ahead and do it. I might be wrong in a lot of these things. Most of this came out of my mind, because to me, it seems logical, but some may not, post your opinions of my thoughts here.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
For not really having enough information to make the comments you did? I mean yah it's great to be a PS3 fanboy and everything, but you really don't have anything to go off of other than your fanboyism.

Vault

May 29, 2005
what? im not a fanboy... everyone know that PS3 has better specs than the 360... and better disc capacity... PCs with the power of the PS3 cost to much (for me anyway) so whats your point?

Mætlöaff

Apr 10, 2004
img378.imageshack.us
I'm not really sure about having UT2k7 on PS3 be able to be played with those on PC, since the game would probably have to be dumbed down some for the limit of input on consoles.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Vault said:
what? im not a fanboy... everyone know that PS3 has better specs than the 360... and better disc capacity... PCs with the power of the PS3 cost to much (for me anyway) so whats your point?
That's exactly what I mean. There is absolutely no information other than what the companies that MAKE the consoles have said to back up that statement. Yah, the Ps3 looks better on paper. But then, why did they have to use prerendered videos for almost all of their demos, and get such terrible framerates on the UT2007 demo if it has such vastly superior hardware? The point isn't that it's going to suck or it has bad specs, I'm just saying that if you're going by paper, the PC is lightyears ahead of the next-gen consoles already. In other words, paper doesn't mean crap.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Vault said:
Note: I expect some flaming out of this post, i wont stop you so just go ahead and do it. I might be wrong in a lot of these things. Most of this came out of my mind, because to me, it seems logical, but some may not, post your opinions of my thoughts here.
Glad to see your prepared:

Why will the game run better on PS3 and XBox 360??
Dya think pc's aren't going to of improved by the time UT2007 comes out in a year and a half (rough estimate) Look at it now. PC own all consoles easily. Ok consoles may have the edge when they first come out but PC's soon catch up.

Blue Ray Discs:
Indeed the PS3 does support them. What makes u think you wont be able to get Blue Ray drives for your pc like you can get DVD and CD Drives?
Also you say it will consist of 4 DVD's, How the Hell do you know that???

As two your points about Custom stuff on consoles. I would like to see that. Its seems possible, However I donyt know how easy it will be as I do not know how different the game is going to be between PC and Console... (yet u seem to think you do)

Mouse and Keyboard on consoles would be good. It might give Console players a chance to hit us when we run behind them. No more having to wait for you character for ages like on all Console fps'.

and to this:
But wouldn't the 360 and PC have better online play? you might ask. Not nessesarily. Since PS3 is coming out later, they will most likely ripoff LIve or make a better service

Why would Xbox and PC have better online play. You have no evidence at all to back this up. Why should PS3 have bad online play.... sheeesh
Sony Don't need to Copy Microsoft to get good online play (that made me laugh)

the PC online might actually be the losing side because as many PC owners PCs will be straining to push out decent graphics for game, there will lag. (no loading though, that is confirmed) and with PS3s power sharing tech, there will most likely be no lag whatsoever.

wtf??? Why should the PC suffer and more from lag than a Console?

You seem to think that whilst games get more complex the rest of the world stands still......

PC's will handle UT2007 much better than the Xbox360 or PS3 when it comes out. Also Internet is improving in terms of speed and quality, along with the prices for all this technology dropping.

Last edited:

Bloodwolf806

Equal Opportunity Ass-Kicker
May 29, 2005
SC, United States
I might agree with you in some aspects, but PS3 and Xbox 360 are almost graphically identical. While I am more hyped about the PS3, most of Sony's demonstration was nothing but smoke and mirrors. And by the time PS3 comes out, The new PC cards will be avaiable, and probably (for the first time ever) more cost efficient. I'll ALWAYS choose UT for PC over consoles any day.I would only suggest getting UT2007 for Xbox360 or PS3 if you're computer can't run it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The_Head said:
As two your points about Custom stuff on consoles. I would like to see that. Its seems possible, However I donyt know how easy it will be as I do not know how different the game is going to be between PC and Console... (yet u seem to think you do)
Pariah has custom content on the Xbox, it even has a built in MAP editor.
Why would Xbox and PC have better online play. You have no evidence at all to back this up. Why should PS3 have bad online play.... sheeesh
Sony Don't need to Copy Microsoft to get good online play (that made me laugh)
The PC has better matchmaking ABILITIES. Whether these will be xploited or not is yet to be seen. However, Sony hasn't shown much interest in online communities aside from FFXI, so I don't think it's a long shot to say that Pc and Xbox are going to remain the leaders as far as online play goes.

Basically, though, the whole topic is pointless. There isn't enough real-world information to make any of the claims he did, especially with the assurety he did. That's why I called him a PS3 fanboy, becasue only a PS3 fanboy would come in here and claim that Sony was going to rule the world and PC's would never catch up (which is essentially what he did).

Oh and don't forget, the PS3 is "not a game console".

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
4 DVDs, wth?
You do realize that there are different format DVDs ranging in capacity from 4.7gb to 15.9gb. Epic have yet to use compression for any of the unreal series either. If it comes down to cramming a few extra things on a dvd I imagine they'd be likely to use the already built in uz compression at the least.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Latest word is that they can get as much as 100 Gb on those discs ... ;)

Don't forget that the pc-games are decompressed as they are installed, while consoles need their content in a 'streamable' format (special layout of resources on the disc, as little compression as possible as that makes retrieving any content more complicated, etc.)

I wouldn't be suprised if UT2k7 needed something like 15 Gb to install with all these huge textures and environments.

// Sir-Brizz :
You're forgetting SOE (Everquest, SW:Galaxies, etc.) so Sony does have experience with on-line communities.
It never has used that knowledge outside of the MMO-game fields.

However I still doubt that they can get something like Live! up and running after the PS3 is released. They're suspiciously quiet in that area. All we've got are the hopes & dreams of fanboys in that area.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
JaFo said:
I wouldn't be suprised if UT2k7 needed something like 15 Gb to install with all these huge textures and environments.

I'm expecting that minimum. I would guess much more. But its much too early to say with any certainty

JaFO said:
However I still doubt that they can get something like Live! up and running after the PS3 is released. They're suspiciously quiet in that area. All we've got are the hopes & dreams of fanboys in that area.

I still think they will get something up and running well. They would loose too much of a market share against Microsoft's Xbox360 If they did not have good online combatabilities.

{RA}SKYFURNACE

Game Mapper & Press
Apr 17, 2004
....this post is lol... so we should all just make stuff up and make a post about it?

has ut2k7 been announced for xbox360? just curious because i dont remember seeing that.

all the rest is just all pure speculation and random crap to talk about without any facts.

this game is over 12 months away..... a little early to be just guessing at what you think will happen.

i predict ut2k7 to ship on 25 dvd's take up 150gb of room, have 400 maps, no instagib, 15 more weapons, 3 UT symbol coasters, a miniature shock rifle key chain, all maps every created in the series, cross platform intergration with the PS3, XBOX360, and Nintendo....

bored are we?

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
{RA}SKYFURNACE said:
i predict ut2k7 to ship on 25 dvd's take up 150gb of room, have 400 maps, no instagib, 15 more weapons, 3 UT symbol coasters, a miniature shock rifle key chain, all maps every created in the series, cross platform intergration with the PS3, XBOX360, and Nintendo....

bored are we?
In short. YES! lol

It should also come with a lots of stickers!

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Regarding space requirements, UT2k4's texture folder is 2.78GB, assuming we won't have as many maps with 2k7, reduce this down to say, 2GB. Textures in UE3 are going to be approx twice the resolution (sweeny said expect 2048x2048 textures on average a while back) so multiply this by 4 = 8GB. Then, add in normal maps which double the space requirements again. So a very rough figure to look at would be 16GB.
And that's JUST for textures.

Mapwise etc, can't really say. Raw polygon counts are going to be approx 10 times higher, but then again the new engine no longer needs to worry about pre-computed lighting so it would be pretty stupid to make an estimate on filesize at this point.

And data could and probably will be compressed on the ps3. The cell processors will be able to decompress data during gameplay without even blinking an eye. That's exactly the sort of stuff they are designed for, stream processing.