The Sniper Rifle.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
I do wonder what percentage of the total UT200X players are good players (ppl that can use the shock rifle, LG, shield gun, dodge).

I remember that all of my UT200X playing time at work (ehhhemm I mean after work on the office LAN) we would use rockets, flak, link gun alternate as top priority weapons.

It was not until I played online on some low ping Clan servers (and got mass raped) and watched some frag videos that I started to use the hit-scan weapons and a more advanced movement.

I believe that the vast majority of players are casual players and that EPIC will try to fix the game for the needs of the casual player and not for the advanced (thats YOU forumers) that knows every strength/weakness in gameplay inside out.

I expect EPIC to remove as much staff as possible that gives advantage to good players so that they can close the gap. It is this gap that keeps new players from coming into the game (it is impossible for a new player to get a kill on a wall jumping head-shot combo whore expert)

I would prefer that they keep weapons/movement as the are now - UNREAL. A lift jump shock combo double kill is more rewarding (even if I pull it once every 2000 attempts) than a spammy kill. But (bou hou hou) I expect EPIC to take a more conservative approach and tone down hit-scan weapon damage, ROF and also lessen the dodging moves.

Let's hope I am completely wrong....!

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
kafros said:
I believe that the vast majority of players are casual players and that EPIC will try to fix the game for the needs of the casual player and not for the advanced (thats YOU forumers) that knows every strength/weakness in gameplay inside out.

You're probably right on that one. Movement is slated to be toned down in the next one, that's known. And with the replacement of the mini with the stinger, it does indeed look like a move toward projectiles is under way.

And I can totally relate to your post. It took me over a year to start venturing out into the pubs for UT, and in the end I joined a casual clan and mostly played long- distance LAN games for fun. :)

Even UT99 though, which is nowhere near as crazy as UT2kX with the skill requirements on movement and weapons- handling (not a harsh -- but UT has more damage and less spider monkey), still has plenty of depth to it. So I'm not too worried, really, as Epic hasn't yet made a game I hated. Heh... U2 was those other guys. :lol:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
[Apoc]Discord said:
Re: link primary. I've come to actually prefer it to secondary under the right conditions. If your target isn't in too open of an area, strafe back and forth in a tight circle with the occasional single- dodge thrown in while spamming away relentlessly. This has three effects: it makes you a hard target for hitscan shots, it covers a broad area with your spam (and link primary's damage isn't inconsiderable), and the opacity of the plasma makes it really hard to see... so you've got kind of a weaponized smokescreen going on. Link primary has surprised the crap out of me before, and I've learned to use it.

Oh, I love it, and am quite good at the trig involved in even using it for damage situations. Nothing drops a player faster, then getting them strafing with you, in the same direction, and just opening it up with a slight lead for distance.

[Apoc]Discord said:
Re: rox/ flak boost effect on shieldgun. That happens when you go for the direct hit... why would you do that? Splash is the answer there.

No, Splash is what creates the push. If you shoot a rocket to land in between my legs, then I've got from the time you pull the trigger, you identify that spot, jump in the direction I want to fly, and SG block towards the epicenter of the blast. I use it vs combos a bit to close distance on someone. Let them fire it at you, dodge>jump forward SG in hand, and 180 to block the combo's center. Take no damage, go flying at your opponent, pull out flak, pray you don't miss.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
Selerox said:
That's the idea. In UT200x, the balance between hitscan and ballistic weapons has shifted massivly in favour of hitscan. Anything that redresses the balance is good in my book. As for a ballstic SR? I wouldn't mind. It'd be better than the point and click gaming we have now.

I'm so happy that Lightning Gun is removed in UT2007 :D .LG in UT2004 is mostly used as a second lame Hitscan rather than a Sniper Gun. 1 shot = 70 dmg and its quite easy to pull even at close range. I say that there should ONLY be 1 weapon for hitscan and that would be shock rifle, but of course, must not be as lame as it is in UT2004. Sniper will be cool, gonna give a classic look from UT99 and it won't be "too powerful"...
It's also nice to see the come back of Dual Enforcers :)

UT was meant to be played agressivly and be an action game, not some point & click or chicken-sh*t hide & seek game like it is in UT2004 mainly... It is so cool when you are good and have quick reflex, to dodge the incomings rockets, and projectile stuff, like you dodge enemy rocket then get close enought to blow him in piece with Flak Cannon :p

Butcher.

Omnip)o(tents meat shield
May 9, 2005
England
www.omnipotents.com
I find the sniper rifle to be far superior to the lightening gun I am much more accurate with the rifle getting ludicrous kills and wicked sicks I get a few kills with the lightening gun but sniper rifle wins all the time.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I wouldn't mind a sniper rifle like the one in the following description I'll give you:

You pull the trigger, there's this LOUD boom (heavy bass) and a milisecond after that the target you were aiming at EXPLODES.

BANG!!!

And oh yeah, include "aimbot" option as well.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i dunnoe, but im liking the idea of a non-hitscan sniper weapon like chaosut... with a somewhat high rate of fire, and lower damage per bullet, so you try to lead an enemy and you might miss your first shot but you have a better chance of hitting him , that is if he didnt spot you and started doing evasive maneouvres ...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
No, that was an LTD. D, and G sound nothing alike.

LG has no personality, and get's TTS'd to Large.

LtG has some personality as an abbreviation, and is much more fitting to the weapon.

Whether or not something does happen, doesn't change the fact that it can happen.

{DVS}..::KILLA::..

May 10, 2005
Australia
www.dvsforum.tk
ok, I havent read the whole thread, and Im not gonna cos i cant be assed, but I liked the original Sniper Rifle, and the UT2K4 Rifle. I would like to see BOTH in the game. The UT99 rifle in my proposed UT:GOTY mutator that changes everything back to the original weapons and settings, and the UT2k4 one for standard play...
yeah...

Discord

Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
-AEnubis- said:
No, that was an LTD. D, and G sound nothing alike.

Yeah, except for that big "EEEEEEEE" sound at the end, they're nothing alike. :p

LG has no personality, and get's TTS'd to Large.

1. LG has PLENTY of personality. Like, "Yo wazzup LG!!!" Plus, it's easier to say.

2. TTS?!!! Ew! :con:

And anyway, instead of trying to change the whole known world's way of saying something, you could just go in and edit your TTS aliases... ;)

LtG has some personality as an abbreviation, and is much more fitting to the weapon.

I still say it sounds like a car Eazy- E would drive. "Yo wazzup LG wit da fresh LtG?!!"

Whether or not something does happen, doesn't change the fact that it can happen.

That's true. That fact doesn't really do much to improve one's odds, however. :D

Hehe, that was fun. :)

What were we talking about again?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
[Apoc]Discord said:
And anyway, instead of trying to change the whole known world's way of saying something, you could just go in and edit your TTS aliases... ;)

Actually, I said something when the abbeviation was still new, and a couple people involved in that thread agreed it should be that way. Unfortunately, only a handful of people saw that thread. Things would be different if everyone payed as much attention to what I say as they should.

Yeah, I've been thinkin' about editing it into my aliases... my alias list is just getting long.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
-AEnubis- said:
Actually, I said something when the abbeviation was still new, and a couple people involved in that thread agreed it should be that way. Unfortunately, only a handful of people saw that thread. Things would be different if everyone payed as much attention to what I say as they should.

Yeah, I've been thinkin' about editing it into my aliases... my alias list is just getting long.

lol just noticed over your avatar: "Anti Hit-scan Activist." :p
1 dumb question, I really have no idea since no one almost play with Sniper Rifle in UT2004, but is it an Hitscan like the LG/LtG or its a "bullet... forgot the word for non-hitscan stuff". ?

Discord

Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
-AEnubis- said:
Things would be different if everyone payed as much attention to what I say as they should.

You too, huh?

*sigh*

Yeah, it's hard being an evil genius. But in the spirit of consolation, allow me to offer you two of my very own Guaranteed- To- Offend- Somebody aphorisms for just such moments:

1. "...and you can believe me because I never lie and I'm always right."

2. "You know, I just don't think you're treating me with all the seriousness which a person of my stature is due."

You can sometimes even win the argument with one of those simply by making your adversary incoherent with rage. :D

*edit* @ Kriegs Machine: both the original UT sniper and its updated UT2k4 counterpart are hitscan. And you can believe me because... well, you know. :p

Last edited: