UT3 Appreciation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
They're still retarded in vehicles though -

They'll all fill up the Leviathan and just sit there, even when I command them otherwise, with no way to get them out of that thing. Only thing to do is up the bot count when you start a map with a Leviathan, so when that happens you still have some team left to play, lol.

:lol: I forgot that they do that. Yeah, I've had that happen to me, but only in WAR-Confrontation for some reason. They're more DM intelligent this time, but still vehicle-impaired.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
If there ever is a UT4, they really should work on the bots and our control over them.

Though, that wouldn't be much of an improvement since UT3 actually took some of that control away from us.

I don't hear my characters voice calling out the commands like in previous games, providing confirmation that I gave the preferred command.
I can't see who is on defense or offense (etc) by looking at the scoreboard.
It's all guess work.

So I bet the next game will either match what we had in UT2004 (i.e, what is missing in UT3), or there will be no ability to command the bots at all.
Improvement will be relative to the current game, and to what Epic want (console only).

/pessimist

edit
shoot, they have the flag icon for flag carriers, so why can't they have other icons for bots who are on defense, offense, covering, freelancing?
Did they run out of money, time, patience, donuts?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
yeah I noticed that. My beams don't lock onto squat, but I've seen the bots' beams turn a 180 degrees to 'stick' to the victim.

Cheap.

Okay, supposedly this is just a rendering "bug", having to do with the bots not always facing where they are aiming, so the beam bends when you look at it from the third person.
I guess it happens in very laggy online matches with humans too.

Still, I think they use it way too much. I just got done playing two DM bot matches on Masterful and I swear 90% of the time they were using the Link Beam.
All I could hear was the whine of the beam the whole match.
I hate not being able to play the game because it locks down my movement everytime I encounter a bot! I always have to keep my distance if I have a choice.

Using the Weapons replacement mutator (like I stated before) they actually use the Impact hammer and play with the other weapons.
The problem with that? It's not really a fix. Now the Link Gun is completely absent from the maps! I can't even use the Primary if I wanted to!

So, it's still cheap, and I wish Epic would give us one final patch that includes either getting rid of movement lockdown, or lessen the amount of the beam usage from the bots. Preferable the former so that we all can use it online without feeling cheap.
I mean, it effectively turns your opponent into a retard making it an almost guaranteed kill (so, yeah, why wouldn't the bots use it all the time then, right? :rolleyes:)

It just feels like LinkBeam Tournament now

Last edited:

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
Music !!

As for gameplay, I could go on for hours about what I liked and disliked and how the developers should have done this and that instead.... but the bottom line is, I enjoyed UT3, a lot, and my memories to this game will always have a special place in the gamer's heart in me.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Okay, supposedly this is just a rendering "bug", having to do with the bots not always facing where they are aiming, so the beam bends when you look at it from the third person.
I guess it happens in very laggy online matches with humans too.

Still, I think they use it way too much. I just got done playing two DM bot matches on Masterful and I swear 90% of the time they were using the Link Beam.
All I could hear was the whine of the beam the whole match.
I hate not being able to play the game because it locks down my movement everytime I encounter a bot! I always have to keep my distance if I have a choice.

Using the Weapons replacement mutator (like I stated before) they actually use the Impact hammer and play with the other weapons.
The problem with that? It's not really a fix. Now the Link Gun is completely absent from the maps! I can't even use the Primary if I wanted to!

So, it's still cheap, and I wish Epic would give us one final patch that includes either getting rid of movement lockdown, or lessen the amount of the beam usage from the bots. Preferable the former so that we all can use it online without feeling cheap.
I mean, it effectively turns your opponent into a retard making it an almost guaranteed kill (so, yeah, why wouldn't the bots use it all the time then, right? :rolleyes:)

It just feels like LinkBeam Tournament now

If you had a mutator that let you set momentum, maybe you could fix it that way.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Pretty sure that the only people who don't enjoy UT3 are the ones who haven't found the right mod/map combination to screw around with.

I'd have a hard time liking UT3 if it wasn't for MapMixer and Gibalicious, but with them, I love pretty much everything UT3 has to offer except stock CTF and Betrayal. Also WAR-Flux is amazing and there's a lot of great DM maps out there.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Pretty sure that the only people who don't enjoy UT3 are the ones who haven't found the right mod/map combination to screw around with.

I'd have a hard time liking UT3 if it wasn't for MapMixer and Gibalicious, but with them, I love pretty much everything UT3 has to offer except stock CTF and Betrayal. Also WAR-Flux is amazing and there's a lot of great DM maps out there.
One of my big complaints with the mutators of UT3 is that I have yet to see a quality weapons pack for it on par with UT's U4E or UT2004's Ballistic Weapons. Yeah, I know it sounds kinda demanding but it's like a tradition though.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
The one and only really unforgivable crime UT3 has committed is failing to fix its god damned broken-ass movers for bots. That **** pisses me off so much and it ruins so many potentially awesome level designs. But considering the hours and hours and hours of entertainment you can get out of the game in other ways, it's something you can at least ignore for the most part.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I really enjoy the game, and I wasn't really disappointed when I saw it, as I had never expected anything special. Core gameplay is excellent, except few decisions mostly relating to vehicular game modes (which I just don't play) and, sadly, menus. Menus (or to be exact their poor usability) are pretty much the only major downside of the game.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The one and only really unforgivable crime UT3 has committed is failing to fix its god damned broken-ass movers for bots. That **** pisses me off so much and it ruins so many potentially awesome level designs. But considering the hours and hours and hours of entertainment you can get out of the game in other ways, it's something you can at least ignore for the most part.
Huh? Care to explain what's broken about it?

Menus (or to be exact their poor usability) are pretty much the only major downside of the game.
Well, MapMixer exists for a reason... If you can bear going through the stock server list.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Last edited: