Need for bright skins?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bright skins?

• no

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • yes

Votes: 22 31.4%

• Total voters

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Sir_Brizz said:
They aren't nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. In any case, they are far more fair than *plink* *plonk* *plunk*.

Very simply, all pain was handled terribly in UT2k4, utterly dreadful and it was handled in UT99 far better.

If you cant tell that you've been hit, or that you've hit the other person, thats really bad!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You can, though. If you can't tell from across the map then that is REALLY GOOD.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Sir_Brizz said:
Don't you think that's something that could be fixed with GOOD model forcing, though?

I dont like model forcing. Seeing the same model all over the place makes the game dull to me. If I have the choice between model forcing and brightskins, I go for the latter.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Self pain I agree with, but that's another thread.

That is a lesser of two evils I don't wanna have too choose between: forcing models, and glowskins.

I didn't have to do either in UT.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
-AEnubis- said:
Self pain I agree with, but that's another thread.

That is a lesser of two evils I don't wanna have too choose between: forcing models, and glowskins.

I didn't have to do either in UT.
Indeed. I'd prefer models were visible enough in any case, but I also think shadows should affect visibility, unlike practically everyone else. If you feel like you can complain about skins not being bright enough (and it seriously effects your game), then force models.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
If the players are as hard to see against the backdrop as they are in UT 2004, then yes, bring on the brightskins.

Anyways, doubt we have a choice, they will happen, along with hit sounds \o/

dub

Feb 12, 2002
dunno... I don't have a hard time with the BF2 skins at all really.
IMO much easier to see against the BKG than UT 2004 models.

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
How can you say yes or no to this? Pics are not the same as actually playing the game.

Me likes brightskins anyway, but i hope and expect that it wont be necessarry to have a mut for brightskins, because i assume that Epic will "hear" the community.

Gr Fragger

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
Don't you think that's something that could be fixed with GOOD model forcing, though?

Nope, it's all color based, regardless of what the models are. Similar colors blend in with the background, causing the model to "disappear." It doesn't matter if the model is extra fat with a "Shoot Here!" sign painted on it's chest. Unless all the colors on the model are those colors not effected by the condition, then you start to lose sight of the model.

Think of it like this....say a model has 20 different colors on it. 10 of the colors are from the spectrum that's not effected by the condition, and 10 of them are from the spectrum that are effected. That means that the parts of the model colored with the effected colors are invisible, and you can only see the parts not effected. In essence, you can only see bits and pieces of the model moving, while the rest of the model appears to be transparent. That condition, no matter what the model is, is difficult to see in a fast moving game.

For those not knowing what I'm talking about, just ignore this post. Brizz (and a few others) remembers what I mean.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The thing is, Ren, as sympathetic as I would like to be to said condition, it presents a serious conflict of interest, not different from the old rocket smoke trails issue.

On one hand, you got systems that can't run it that well, and would like to disable smoke, so you can't shoot fps bombs at certain opponents, and on the other hand, you got people who will simply disable them if optable for the extra visibility, in an almost cheat like fasion.

I sincerely hope they can cure both problems, I really would rather not have to play with normal models, vs someone else who's vision is as good as mine, but decides to exploit every advantage he can get by forcing a feature designed for people who simply can't see something due to a medical condition.

If the stock models are good enough to only have it make a small difference, I for one will probably be ok. I would still not use glowskins if not for abaddon/matrix, but that is at an accepted disadvantage, I'm sort of used too... which I could deal with not having to worry about.

Really, I suppose they just have to avoid being "luminesent" so that they don't stick out as little green blips on a long range radar, when you can't even make out appendages.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
...UT2004 had some poor design elements from the start that were only exacerbated by the introduction of newnet/brightskins/hitsounds. The fact that these things could throw off the balance that much shows that there truly was a viable imbalance to begin with.
quite the opposite.
UT was and always has been as balanced as was humanly possible given the experience the designers had at the time of release.

However every time someone modifies the default-game the balance is lost and other elements have to be adjusted.

ie :
brightskins et al did not highlight an imbalance that existed
they merely demonstrated quite clearly that you can not adjust one side of the equation and not suffer the consequences

You might as well complain about how Instagib proves that Epics' weapons are wimpy by desing, since it clearly increases the lethality of the game.

As far as the original topic... Brightskins came about because there is a huge difference in visibility in player models. Again, another poor design choice. You can be a bright yellow robot or you can be a completely black robot. You can be a fat jugg with bright silver armor or you can be a camouflaged wooden guy (can't remember what they're called). If all the models in UT2007 have the same visibility then brightskins likely won't surface, ,,,.
Brightskins will surface even if the game has perfectly balanced skins & models.
Why ?
Because of the same reason people use aimbots and cheats.
Everyone expects to be 'good' on day 1 without having to practice ...
No one wants to lose to a better player.
No one wants to suffer for their own stupidity.

// ---
Brightskins and hitsounds destroy the illusion of a believable game-world.
Therefor there's only one choice : just say no!

IMHO the problem with hitsounds in UT2kx wasn't the sound.
It was the fact that there was no real gore. Even the biggest hit resulted in a ragdoll which makes even the most lethal weapon feel like you just said 'tag you're it'.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFO said:
quite the opposite.
UT was and always has been as balanced as was humanly possible given the experience the designers had at the time of release.

However every time someone modifies the default-game the balance is lost and other elements have to be adjusted.

ie :
brightskins et al did not highlight an imbalance that existed
they merely demonstrated quite clearly that you can not adjust one side of the equation and not suffer the consequences

You might as well complain about how Instagib proves that Epics' weapons are wimpy by desing, since it clearly increases the lethality of the game.

Brightskins will surface even if the game has perfectly balanced skins & models.
Why ?
Because of the same reason people use aimbots and cheats.
Everyone expects to be 'good' on day 1 without having to practice ...
No one wants to lose to a better player.
No one wants to suffer for their own stupidity.

// ---
Brightskins and hitsounds destroy the illusion of a believable game-world.
Therefor there's only one choice : just say no!

IMHO the problem with hitsounds in UT2kx wasn't the sound.
It was the fact that there was no real gore. Even the biggest hit resulted in a ragdoll which makes even the most lethal weapon feel like you just said 'tag you're it'.
I can't believe it but... :tup: this post is good.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
It looks like they brightened up the team colors, so hopefuly no one will claim they can't see them anymore.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
-AEnubis- said:
The thing is, Ren, as sympathetic as I would like to be to said condition, it presents a serious conflict of interest, not different from the old rocket smoke trails issue.

Trust me, I have the same conflict. My wishes are selfish, I admit, but I don't necessarily think they're the best solution overall.

Bottom line, it sucks.

Edit - If they can come up with team colors similar to UT's, the I'd be happy with that. I'd probably be at a slight disadvantage, but not by much. However, if the team colors are like the ones in UT2k4 OR if teams are based on model type, then I'll be royally screwed.

Last edited:

kiwi

Sep 26, 2005
i cant understand you guys...y dont u want the bright skins??? i think u play only ONS and nverplayed DM or TAM or ICTF before...i think u never played ut2003 (i think many epople will remmeber ut2k3 with its very bad skins)....bright skins are necessary if u want to play at high level (in clans or maybe cpl..hopefully)

epic make the game for "every day players" (i think like people who said NO to bright skins)

bright skin improves the game play....im really angry thta nobody shows a dodge ....there are 34 videos of ut2k7 and noone shows a dodge ffs and anticheat system???? bah..its a multip[layer game right...well every multiplayer game has a ancticheat (see bf2 with punkbuster) utk7 nop

and also wtf is the news that noob players will be helped at the begginnnig? how the hell u r going to make that possible??? auto-aim??? helping the spread of aimbots lol

bah ut2k7 imo will be crap guys and if u think that i hate ut well u r wrong ...i was hoping that ut2k7 was goign to be concentrated on gameplay but unfortunaly it isnt...

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sigh. There is nothing Epic/Midway can gain by showing the core gameplay changes off. No one will give a sh*t if Mark Rein comes in and says "the dodge has been given 50% less velocity and the shock rifle rate of fire is now 0.8 seconds" except a few people on this forum. New people and people from other games will only care about "OMG VEHAKALS" and "OMG GRAFFPIX" and they're doing a good job of showing those things. It would be nice, yes, if they showed some... other... stuff, but everyone here will buy the game anyway so there's no reason for them to advertise to us.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
old school disection...

kiwi said:
y dont u want the bright skins???

Because they look like crap.

kiwi said:
i think u play only ONS and nverplayed DM or TAM or ICTF before...

I play TAM almosts exclusively, and used to disable them when comp was new in DM and CTF.

kiwi said:
i think u never played ut2003

I played it for 2 years, and never really had problems seeing models.

kiwi said:
bright skins are necessary if u want to play at high level (in clans or maybe cpl..hopefully)

Wrong, the only necessity is them being evenly visible, so that both sides see the same thing, and it's fair.

kiwi said:
bright skin improves the game play

Wrong again, brightskins change gameplay, especially in balance, and usually negatively because epic doesn't account for them.

kiwi said:
well every multiplayer game has a ancticheat (see bf2 with punkbuster) utk7 nop

Uengine has always been slightly more secure then quake/hl engine, and easier to mod, so that cheats can be fought with mods.

kiwi said:
and also wtf is the news that noob players will be helped at the begginnnig? how the hell u r going to make that possible???

Change the learning curve so that it's not as steep in the begining, and more so at the end.

kiwi said:
bah ut2k7 imo will be crap guys and if u think that i hate ut well u r wrong ...i was hoping that ut2k7 was goign to be concentrated on gameplay but unfortunaly it isnt...

Bah, you know nothing about how to market video games, and have no faith in epics ability to once again put out as balanced of a game as possible.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
well after thinking about it and watching the videos once again i'm not too sure about brightskins.
i was pretty sure they were needed when watching the vids for the first time. but since most of these are shaky cam stuff they're not too reliable so...
i'll have to play the game first to find out. after all, like was said before, ut(99) never really needed them. and imo there's not that much of a need for them in ut2k4 as well. i don't even use them in q3a or q4... :)
hitsounds on the other hand are a good thing. but since i'm more of an instagib player most of the time i don't need to care about hitsounds :)

Edit: mouse was stuck -> accidently clicked on 'yes'... :(

Last edited:

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
If needed yes if not the no... and they will be needed if some people have a harder time spotting them than others do, like it is in UT2003 and UT2004... just hope Epic takes some time to fix this, would hade to see another mutator split the community when it can be easily avoided... as long as it's optional then why would people mind? same thing with hitsounds tbh..