I have come to the conclusion that all of

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
these games are almost impossible to play properly over the net at nightime.

There is just way to much traffic and congestion ..both Unreal and UT are suffering from the same problems with lag and ping, and I assume Quake 2 and Q3 will suffer as well.

Tribes is the only game that I have played that does reasonably well as far as ping and lag goes.

I find that when I play in the morning it's actually pretty good, the funny part is i find unreal almost better to play than UT as far as lag/ping..UT is way to "sloppy" in the way feedback is received ..especially when there is net congestion.

Just a rant..wee bit frustrated AND dissapointed .. I realy believed that UT would handle so much better than it does wiht congestion etc....oh well, when it does connect well and solid... it's a real KIK *** game .. let's hope that for our sakes the net will improve with time (yeah..right!)

My biggest peeve is the UT browser..it's is so sticky ..

I saw a couple of you posters here actually playing out there with me tonight.. he..he... /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
NIGHT TIME??? it should be good then
anyhow my answer to why its not the best in the netcode area
look at how good the graphics engine looks and preforms
all that information about the level must slow down your modem a bit!!
if it was just pong then ya it would be lag free but its a very complicated game graphicaly people!!!

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
I mean the evening.... it's just impossible to get the quality of gameplay that can be done in the wee hours or during times of light net traffic, like I said ..maybe one day technoogy will improve so these games won't be so badly affected with lag , packet loss.

I played UT last night..it was very very dificult to find a server were I could play without the effects of packet loss etc..on a couple of servers when I logged on the ping seemed to be around 120 ...but as I played on..ping jumped various times to 1500 or more for sustained periods ..I kept playing..even though when I shot I could no see my projectiles leaving the muzzle of my weapon.

I am used to this by now, it doesn't bother me anymore, I am resigend to the fact this will be part of on line gaming for quite some time.. ***( sigh)***.

GetFried!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Easy Target. I once had a problem with lag and pla too (I am on a Cable Modem, they seem to be notorious for PL). What I would like you to do is goto www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_patches.shtml There you will find a @Home Cable Patch. You see Windows 98 (I assume your running 98) is set up in the registries for a 56K modem. To fix this you need to adjust a couple of registry entries in Windows to take full advantage of your Cable Modem. So just grab this patch and run it, it will do it for you. Also there are ALOT of Windows tweaks on this site. DO THEM ALL. I also play Tribes, when I first started I was getting ping averages of around 110 to 180. After doing everything they suggest on this site my pings went from the above averages to 50 to 80 on the East Coast to 100 to 150 as far as the West Coast. I am never over 180 playing Tribes. And to be honest UT runs silky smooth for me at ALL hours of the day. Give it a shot, I think you will be very happy with the results.

bullet2.gif

Chaos, Panic And Disorder...My Work Here Is Done.

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
GetFried!!!

I haven't done anything so far to UT as far as tweeknig my connections etc..everything is default.
And you are right about the Cable and packet loss relationship.

Thanks for the link, I will try the tweeks..see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.