Christopher Nolan sucks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokKUqLcvD8[/M]

That's not a goddamn batman movie at all.
Seriously, even Dark Knight is a bad movie. It was cool the first time i saw it. When I rewatched it recently, it came to me as boring and I knew every story twist already, which is what it ONLY relied to. Good movie you can rewatch again, Nolan's shit not, only Batman Begins is rewatchable and still somewhat of a classic Batman movie. It's the only good Batman movie coming from Nolan. This is just ridiculous and makes no sense. He turned out to be yet another franchise ruiner and his stuff is overrated. :mad:

I rather go back watching Batman Returns, which is imo the best movie of them all.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Actually, I'm sure everyone rewatches The Dark Knight just to see the Joker again. He was really the only person keeping it from being just an OK movie if you think about it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Seems like I posted this in Games, didn't mean to. DERP

But really, The Dark Knight, it's sort of, like cloud minded, the whole movie and some of it dont make sense when you think of it too (the two face bit is rather ridiculous, he wouldn't look like that either it's over the top, opposite over the top of the plastic face of two face of batman forever, or the joker motives, they did strip him down some character, he should be shown as psychopathic maniac, not some ingrained anarchistic fear inducing phobia character, which is another reason i don't like that, or even the bit about saving Rachel and all that, the failure, I noticed one big story holy there actually, that I can't recall atm since this isn't fresh, perhaps I should have started thread when it was fresh).

The movie only comes down as boring when being rewatched, because you already know the story twists and it is rather slow and I get sick of the camera after while too. It's way too contrived all of it. It relies only on heavy story twists and nothing else. It only wants to "shock you" and that's all. It was completely boring to me after the rewatch, the movie sure didn't age well.

On the other side, the latest Bond movie, Quantum of Solace did grow to be even better, because of some things in the real world that were revealed that were kind of similar to the events of the movie, the whole thing about the fake man made global warming stuff etc(the al gore side of the story). And it was really good, it wasn't dragged along( compared to the dark knight which had some completelly pointless parts to the story), the action scenes were top notch, Craig did all the action scenes without having double too, which earned him another good points, it was all really well done, perhaps a bit lacking at the end but that's all. It was enjoyable to rewatch.

Last edited:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
You have terrible opinions. Also, you should probably learn English. Look at all those fucking commas.
But really, The Dark Knight, it's sort of, like cloud minded, the whole movie and some of it dont make sense when you think of it too (the two face bit is rather ridiculous, he wouldn't look like that either it's over the top, opposite over the top of the plastic face of two face of batman forever, or the joker motives, they did strip him down some character, he should be shown as psychopathic maniac, not some ingrained anarchistic fear inducing phobia character, which is another reason i don't like that, or even the bit about saving Rachel and all that, the failure, I noticed one big story holy there actually, that I can't recall atm since this isn't fresh, perhaps I should have started thread when it was fresh).

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Actually, I'm sure everyone rewatches The Dark Knight just to see the Joker again. He was really the only person keeping it from being just an OK movie if you think about it.

yes... bale sucks, he gets good roles in big movies but he's useless.

Michael Keaton was the best batman.

I will eventually download dark knight rises however, watch it once and be bored.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokKUqLcvD8[/M]

That's not a goddamn batman movie at all.
Seriously, even Dark Knight is a bad movie. It was cool the first time i saw it. When I rewatched it recently, it came to me as boring and I knew every story twist already, which is what it ONLY relied to. Good movie you can rewatch again, Nolan's shit not, only Batman Begins is rewatchable and still somewhat of a classic Batman movie. It's the only good Batman movie coming from Nolan. This is just ridiculous and makes no sense. He turned out to be yet another franchise ruiner and his stuff is overrated. :mad:

I rather go back watching Batman Returns, which is imo the best movie of them all.

solution to your dilemma : click

The Dark Knight is a suspense/thriller. It's the kind of movie that has you on the edge of your seat because anything can happen to anybody and you feel as if nobody is safe. Intergrating Batman and Joker into that kind of setup was marvelous (straight from the best comics) and as a long time Batman fanboy Heath remains the best live-action Joker that I've seen (Mark Hamil can't be beat when it comes to voice and personality, though).

Unfortunately these kinds of movies...once you experience it once all subsequent viewings don't have that level of anxiousness. Remember the first time you watched Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal breaks out of his cage? Or when Clarice stumbles into that nutjob's dungeon basement? I think movies that focus on action benefit from this the most, as you can watch John McClane kill terrorists a million times or watch Keanu jump a speeding bus over and over and it's always cool, even if you know how it's going to end. The Dark Knight has action scenes but it really wasn't that kind of movie. It works the first time you watch it because you allow yourself to get taken in by the fiction, the tension. But the more times you watch it you notice loopholes between scenes (Batman jumps out a window to save Rachel, but doesn't go back up to catch Joker, who is still inside a building?) and how the Joker seems to teleport between locations really quickly.

Does that make it a bad movie, or Nolan a bad director? No, I don't think so. I still very much enjoy both Batman movies he has given us comicbook nerds and can't wait for the third. They may have flaws, for sure, and anyone with enough time on their hands can nitpick finer details.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
What? Quantum of Solace only gets worse on repeat viewings. Here's a pretty good summary of the problems it has.

The Dark Knight, however, is truly worth rewatching. Batman Begins was fine, I liked it, but it doesn't really hold up under repeat viewings. TDK is a thriller, as Mister Prophet discussed, and it works much more on the level of suspense, but also on the philosophical discussions it is engaging in. Each of the major actors are engaging in a debate over ethics, responsibility and the "truth" of the human psyche. What you lose after the first viewing by knowing all of the plot details you gain in a surprisingly nuanced discussion about morality.

But then again, I would also argue that there isn't a single bad Nolan film, the only one you could possibly argue against is Insomnia, but that's only because the film wasn't really necessary as the 1997 version of the film was already pretty darned good, and things weren't massively different.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What? Quantum of Solace only gets worse on repeat viewings. Here's a pretty good summary of the problems it has.

The Dark Knight, however, is truly worth rewatching. Batman Begins was fine, I liked it, but it doesn't really hold up under repeat viewings. TDK is a thriller, as Mister Prophet discussed, and it works much more on the level of suspense, but also on the philosophical discussions it is engaging in. Each of the major actors are engaging in a debate over ethics, responsibility and the "truth" of the human psyche. What you lose after the first viewing by knowing all of the plot details you gain in a surprisingly nuanced discussion about morality.

But then again, I would also argue that there isn't a single bad Nolan film, the only one you could possibly argue against is Insomnia, but that's only because the film wasn't really necessary as the 1997 version of the film was already pretty darned good, and things weren't massively different.
I agree, and it's the same basics that also make Inception so good to re-watch. It's marveling at the "point" not the "plot".

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So Leo what do you consider a good Batman flick? What is it about Nolan's vision that makes it a non batman flick? I guarantee people will come to you and argue with you till your little head turns blue about how Nolan's take is more true to the comics than Burton's version(though still very good films).

Sure it wouldn't be lying if a good majority of people went and saw TDK because they were interested to see how Ledger handled the part. I am sure the films gross dollars were a little scewed because of it. Does that make it a bad film, not really. To be honest you never really said why it was a bad film, instead you just went all wookie and stated it was unwatchable and you knew all the plot points. That really isn't a valid reason since that is usually what happens after you watch a movie, you know what is going to happen.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Yes, Inception sucked...

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginQNMiRu2w[/M]

Damnit, that video was frustrating. I was hoping to hear some insightful interpretation of the film, but instead I got a nerdy justification of the is it a dream/is it not a dream argument for 35 minutes. Boring.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I've re-watched Dark Knight half a dozen times now. It's awesome and doesn't fail to make sense really, it's dark but all set on a very very simple premise. It is awesome on levels beyond Ledger's performance.

Not sure about the trailer for dark knight rises, looks like it's got god and bad points but i'll wait until the blasted thing is out before stating the director sucks.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
solution to your dilemma : click

You should get an infraction for linking to ignore link to my username.

as for rest of comments:

I don't think Nolan's take is true to the comics at all, some of it perhaps(then again you have to account to which comics really and I am not a batman comic expert either), especially the whole setup at batman begins, but he changed it a lot for the sake of realism and other stuff and that said, TDK is for me a bad movie. It's really all see through after you watch it and it's not fun again, and for me it isn't about the point either, silence of lambs i could rewatch still, but not this, it just really isn't that good and the story points are faux to me. It is all about the paranoia but I just don't feel the second time around, it just makes me bored, it really drags on too long, there was no point in that abduction scene with the plane either, that was one of the things that dragged the film down too.

If I want to watch a good dark Batman movie I rather watch Batman returns, I really do consider that the best movie, I know that Burton isn't really close to the comics as well(after all Batman in his movies actually kills, instead of the no kill rule), but it was more enjoyable after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.