Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2277341 said:
BTW Cymek I realised what exactly the first pic reminds me of: early national geographic nature photography, say circa 40's -to mid 50's. If I had taken the second one I would have had to remove the powerlines with photoshop. For some reason I find them distracting.

I know it would be a sublime nature photo without the powerlines, and it occurred to me that I could do it easily enough but I like the message it sends better with them in.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Sakura Daydream
3423803336_5b6ed4d3e9.jpg

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I don't know, I'm inclined to disagree. I've seen some hideous HDR in the past, but this, in its context, is actually quite nice. Particularly on the buildings.

Yeah fosho. It seems to be pretty well done here and adds a new layer to the theme. I mean, how many pictures of old churches have you seen?

I couldn't bring myself to criticize anything Emmett_Otter does though, because his username is from a character in one of my favorite childhood books. :p

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Emmett, I like the images but I don't know if I quite like how the "HDR" effect is applied on all them, with this one being the exception. IMO, when overused, the HDR effect gives the image an artificial air about it. For example, this image, the effect makes it lose most of its depth of field. Isn't HDR supposed to augment the image's lighting and thus make it appear more realistic?

To be perfectly honest, since I am brand spanking new to photography, I seem to get caught up in over-processing my images. However, I do not get why this method of over-processing is even called HDR, since it can be derived from a single image (HDR requires a bracketed set of at minimum two, preferably three, images of varying exposures). The effect can be easily invoked in Photoshop using the Highpass filter processing of a Hard Light layer blended copy of the original layer. The lighter areas bring in more ambient lighting to the darker original ares and provides a crisper image overall. When mixing this process with an HDR merged bracketed image set, the resulting image is a greatly exaggerated effect, the result of which may appear to be over-processed.

Meh, could be I'm just rambling, but I guess my own conclusion is that HDR processing should enhance the realism to the effect that the imagery appears to be literally surreal but is still believable. The issue for me is that sometimes this process removes too much of the lighting and shading differential, thus leaving imagery that is too flat in appearance, save for some of the texturing, such as the tree limbs and church's bricks (which are oddly enhanced compared to the remaining information). My guess that if I saw a print of these processed images, they would be similar to those relief paintings I've seen in some art galleries. I digress that it is more a style than anything else. Or, maybe I just don't understand what the hell I'm talking about.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Emmett, I like the images but I don't know if I quite like how the "HDR" effect is applied on all them, with this one being the exception. IMO, when overused, the HDR effect gives the image an artificial air about it. For example, this image, the effect makes it lose most of its depth of field. Isn't HDR supposed to augment the image's lighting and thus make it appear more realistic?

To be perfectly honest, since I am brand spanking new to photography, I seem to get caught up in over-processing my images. However, I do not get why this method of over-processing is even called HDR, since it can be derived from a single image (HDR requires a bracketed set of at minimum two, preferably three, images of varying exposures). The effect can be easily invoked in Photoshop using the Highpass filter processing of a Hard Light layer blended copy of the original layer. The lighter areas bring in more ambient lighting to the darker original ares and provides a crisper image overall. When mixing this process with an HDR merged bracketed image set, the resulting image is a greatly exaggerated effect, the result of which may appear to be over-processed.

Meh, could be I'm just rambling, but I guess my own conclusion is that HDR processing should enhance the realism to the effect that the imagery appears to be literally surreal but is still believable. The issue for me is that sometimes this process removes too much of the lighting and shading differential, thus leaving imagery that is too flat in appearance, save for some of the texturing, such as the tree limbs and church's bricks (which are oddly enhanced compared to the remaining information). My guess that if I saw a print of these processed images, they would be similar to those relief paintings I've seen in some art galleries. I digress that it is more a style than anything else. Or, maybe I just don't understand what the hell I'm talking about.

I think you are right in your statement. I am not a big HDR fan, but I do find the ones that aren't over processed interesting. In the end it is art, so it's up to the person creating it.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Nah, none for sale:)

If those pictures from me and they have a unique enough look to them to form a sort of "signature", I wouldn't hesitate a second to offer prints. It's not expensive producing them and they'd look even nicer in picture frames, ready to hang on the wall.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com

Yeah, that's about how I feel about that style of HDR.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
I don't know, I'm inclined to disagree. I've seen some hideous HDR in the past, but this, in its context, is actually quite nice. Particularly on the buildings.
I think it makes them look fake, like in a video game. I agree there are some hideous HDR images out there.

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
My personal favorites.
Excellent framing with the trees in the first one.
Love the dramatic clouds in the 2nd one.
I love that church shot as well. thats why I shared a larger size of it;)

Yeah fosho. It seems to be pretty well done here and adds a new layer to the theme. I mean, how many pictures of old churches have you seen?

I couldn't bring myself to criticize anything Emmett_Otter does though, because his username is from a character in one of my favorite childhood books. :p
'there aint no hole in the washtub' :D
My favortae jim henson character!

There is no right or wrong to photography imo. It's all on how you like your photos. And as long as you like doing what you're doing, thats all that matters;)

I myself have seen waaay over-processed hdr photos from other sites that also did'nt appeal to me as well. This is the reason I try to limit the processesing. Not all the photos I just shared above im happy with 100%, but my favs are the buildings. They did come out damn good. I'm still practicing:)

I think you are right in your statement. I am not a big HDR fan, but I do find the ones that aren't over processed interesting. In the end it is art, so it's up to the person creating it.
Bingo!

If those pictures from me and they have a unique enough look to them to form a sort of "signature", I wouldn't hesitate a second to offer prints. It's not expensive producing them and they'd look even nicer in picture frames, ready to hang on the wall.
I am considering doing something to get my photos out there. I will see down the road. :)

I wanna thank you all for the wonderful comments and opinions. Photography is a new thing for me that I started 4 years ago. Since then I have tried all types of photography. Again, this new surreal look is something i've been recently experimenting with and again, enjoying it. Not all my photos are hdr, You can check out my gallery here. I have shared this once before. Go to the options and keep the images small for better viewing.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
There is no right or wrong to photography imo. It's all on how you like your photos. And as long as you like doing what you're doing, thats all that matters;)
Yup, I agree. And don't get me wrong, I like all the images, just some more than others.

They did come out damn good. I'm still practicing:)
You seem to love doing it and that is what counts.