UE2 - UT2kX max polys for a structure to import into unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LLM_Xunami

Mar 24, 2008
Hi, i was what is the max polys that a structure model can be before unreal crashes? this info will really help out alot.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I can't find the reference but I recall reading that (all else being equal - big if) the optimum size for individual static meshes was around 2000 polys. Bigger is possible but performance starts to suffer beyond that.

Maxunit

Unreal Freak
Aug 7, 2004
Depends on it. A building model from the dead mod USkaarj for UT2k4 has 9566 tris. I think this is allready much for UT2k4, but if i play USkaarj mod with several buildings placed, all with such a tri count and a large map...the game still runs fine.

As mentioned in another thread, it seems to really depend on the end-user hardware, I think so.

My Specs are:

Intel Core 2 Dou 1.8 Ghz
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
3 GB Memory

So, LLM_Xunami, I think you can create models up to around 10.000 tris. This is at least a thing, which will still work. You should consider to keep the tri count as low as possible, to ensure, that even people with low-end systems (which can run UT2k4 fine on highest settings or lower) can play your mod (if you are working on one) or can use this model in UT2k4.