I have GMAX, I know nothing about modelling and I cant find any first timer tutorials

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
Someone helpe me? I've done a google search and gone through 20 pages of advanced tutorials and tutorials that require an understanding fo modelling.

I dont understand the concept much. I know some terms, skin meshing...umm thats about it. Theres stuff liek decompiling and compiling and changing formats, model converting programs. I honestly know less than nothing about GMAX and modelling in general.

Can someone poitn me in the right direction?

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
a good place to start is www.3dbuzz.com
they have some good video tutorials, all you gott ado is reg, theve got stuff from beginner to advanced, so that should be alright, since Gmax is almost the same only with a few less features and a different material editor then Max just check the 3dsmax section

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
since you're posting in an Unreal forum, be aware that gmax has no "direct to UEd 3" options. both static mesh models and vertex animations (not skeletal mesh animations) require a rather complex path to get into UT2003, usually involving some sort of translation program (most of which cost money) or another app like Milkshape (also costs, but not real expensive).

gmax uses "gamepacks" to export stuff for specific games, and as far as i know there is yet no gamepack for UT2003. i had to export with a Quake III plugin i scrounged off the net, then get this into Milkshape, then export from Milkshape in one of its Lightwave formats, then import into UEd. rather a byzantine path.

JamesKilton

UA Coder
Oct 6, 2002
Everywhere and Nowhere
Visit site
JackReacher said:
If i were you Fat id use 3DS Max, its harder to learn, but MUCH better when you get more advanced. And tuts are more widely available for it.

The only problem with that would be getting a copy of it, which actually isn't very hard. Being on a college campus helps me out, but I'm sure there are IRC chatrooms with people willing to share.

P4p3Rc1iP

Unreal Speed Member :)
Sep 29, 2003
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Visit site
there are some great tutorials within the 3ds max help section, it learns you all the basics and beyond (i learned (and still learn) modeling from those tutorials). also, you learn alot from just playing around a bit in 3ds max. (btw, start with the space ship tutorial :) )