If we restarted FragBU...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would you play at FragBU if it came back? (See first post)

• Total voters

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, cool. I'm not opposed to that. As much as people whined about TAM, we always had pretty decently fun games in 2k4 when TAM was on the server. Plus, I'm just up for trying anything that will get people to come and we can add/remove as necessary.

Word. I never had a problem with TAM. Was always fun to me.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Would this be for UT99? UT99 CTF? Maybe you could revive "Frag Friday" and introduce "Slaughterhouse Saturday".

If you decide to do this and need some suggestions for maps to put on a CTF server that would probably have low player counts (you want small maps) pm me for a list of small and small-medium maps that tend to retain and bring in players.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
I have an idea. Have a server host the mod The Crucible. :D

Also, change the server up even more than you did before. Try the weapon and vehicle replacement mutators and add new weapons and vehicles to UT3 maps, custom or otherwise.

Try not to rely too heavily on UT3 versions of UT2004 gametypes like JailBreak and Double Domination. If you do choose to rely on this, mix weapons from other weapon packs to keep it new.

And just for kicks, maybe have a match where you play with overkill versions of the UT3 weapons.

I know it seems like I'm just talking about changing up the weapons, but there's a reason for that. You had a lot of different custom maps and gametypes, but as far as I know, you guys kept the weapons the same. Basically, I'm suggesting you try changing the weapons up a bit to keep the gameplay fresh.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Uhhh, well... that's the reason we would run special events.

FragBU would probably run on the weekends like it did before, but I want to add back some more structure to it like in UT2003 and the beginning of UT2004 where we have a set 7 hours block that "is" FragBU, and the server will keep running obviously outside of those hours. We're talking about 5PM to Midnight Eastern Time on Friday and Saturday and then possibly something on Sunday evening as well.

The default setup will be extremely simple with very little custom content (so it doesn't have to be downloaded frequently). We will be very careful about what custom content is added on to the server and when (for special events and such).

I'm adding a poll, so please take a second to respond to that.

As far as what game we do, I want to try and resurrect UT3 FragBU, but, if that fails for some reason, I'm also open to other UT games.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We would probably do "vehicles only" nights every once in a while as long as they could motivate enough people to join. Previously in FragBU, those have made everyone leave.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
I'd love to play.

Brizz might even be able to talk me into giving out some prizes.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
We would probably do "vehicles only" nights every once in a while as long as they could motivate enough people to join. Previously in FragBU, those have made everyone leave.

You see, that's the other problem - as an example, I absolutely abhor VCTF. To me it feels like the whole game mode is fundamentally flawed. I do however play a lot of Warfare. Getting a consensus on what to even play will be difficult.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You see, that's the other problem - as an example, I absolutely abhor VCTF. To me it feels like the whole game mode is fundamentally flawed. I do however play a lot of Warfare. Getting a consensus on what to even play will be difficult.
That's why the server is going to be CTF/DM/TDM (probably). The vehicle gametypes will be special events only.

The primary reason to have FragBU is for forumers to get together and hang out and play the game with each other. Whether or not CTF is your cup of tea, you should join in even if it's only as a community building exercise :)

I think starting out simple with few gametypes and little custom content is the best way to get people to come join TeamSpeak, join the server and just have a good time playing with people they are familiar with.

If this goes well, we might even be able to get some Epic people to come and be schooled :p

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I also refuse to partake in any game that involves the translocator. Imho, that completely ruins CTF for me, which turns into a retarded teleportfest rather than a legitimate team game D:

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
Back in the days when UT2004 started, suprizingly, i remember the demo servers used to be the most popular. Instagib CTF with Face/Bridge of Fate. That was it, and people just kept coming back every time, people knew those maps inside out and it was so much fun.
I agree that vehicles and translocators would drive me away; personally, i think those 2 things are very 'i'm going solo' orientated and detract from the ability to work as a strategic team.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'm not opposed to a TAM-like mod. My only complaint was hearing "Donk" everytime I hit someone.

No complaints about cutting ONS from the main lineup. I feel that a lot of the stock ONS maps are a lot less straightforward than the UT2004 ones. Which isn't a good thing for more casual players like myself.

Bring back JB once it's finished.

EDIT: Friday nights are best for me these days, really can't commit to anything else.

Last edited: