I just purchased UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Unreal's netcode was never as good as it needed to be. UT's netcode was completely changed (and one core reason it was not an expansion pack like originally planned).

But I ran both UT and Unreal servers so I can say that UT's netcode is worse at many things surprisingly than of latest official unreal versions.
Like the bug at UT with pawns seeing through movers and even damage coming through movers etc.

I like UT3 btw, even if it's maybe not what it should be and I am unhappy they removed things like canister gun etc, or conquest and certain flaws in game, it plays good and I think the sp is best of the UT series even if the story is so........it kinda is self parody but I like it more than these ladders and compared to ut2004 singleplayer, this one simply rocks.
I like it the way it is and I don't see why people bashed this storyline as if it was the worst thing, they didn't understand it at all then...........
I think if it was made a little different it could easily be the best UT out there(I wouldnt maybe much like original ut too if i didnt have the goty edition and most of ut stock maps are rather bland and its simplified version of unreal dethmatch (except the rank sprees etc, but taht was ported later to unreal too via mods like uteamfix) with maybe more powerfull weapons (but mind you at code of Unreal eightball for example is piece which makes the rockets more powerfull in deathmatch than at normal sp or coop), but still ut plays well). The warfare maps are nice touch against the cliches of onlasught and the new rules rock, it's not something too original or something, but it is a nice touch indeed.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
By the way, didn't ut3 demo have higher jump than version 1.2 of full game? I mean at heatray i think i was able to jump at certain things which are made especially for it like these bricks but with 1.2 its not possible. Not a big deal though...........

edit: Oops sorry for double post, I am tired.

Last edited:

subset

Nali Wardog
Feb 4, 2008
Austria
I do have to wonder about the motives of people who clearly try to steer others away from UT3. What do they gain from it? Is it some sort of weird pride in knowing that they "saved" someone from a game they think is bad? Are they just looking for attention? Really, what's the point?
No, need to steer someone away from UT3.
There is nearly no UT3 anymore, at least not Online in Central Europe.
I am from Austria - 'in the heart of Europe', I play on servers from Germany, Italy, France, Poland etc.

An this is the situations on servers today (Friday) at about 6:30 pm , cloudy and rainy weather. :hmm:
I highlighted servers with a ping less than 120 and active players.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7236/ut3serversrb5.gif

Go feed your juggernauts, Epic and Midway.
Send them your money... and have fun with Bots.

Cheers

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
imo, the whole series has strived to be a quake clone, and has never really achieved that .. then they bolted a whole bunch of features (alt-firing, dodging, multi-jump, etc) and alternate game modes on top of that to try to differentiate it, without ever really getting the "quake clone" thing down.

????? Never known they try to make it like quake, they must of been playing Quake l337 version 64 with voucher, and thought it was the real quake?

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
No, need to steer someone away from UT3.
There is nearly no UT3 anymore, at least not Online in Central Europe.
I am from Austria - 'in the heart of Europe', I play on servers from Germany, Italy, France, Poland etc.

An this is the situations on servers today (Friday) at about 6:30 pm , cloudy and rainy weather. :hmm:
I highlighted servers with a ping less than 120 and active players.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7236/ut3serversrb5.gif

Go feed your juggernauts, Epic and Midway.
Send them your money... and have fun with Bots.

Cheers
**** like this is WHY people aren't playing it. "Don't play it because nobody's playing!"

You're just shooting yourself in the foot with that logic...

subset

Nali Wardog
Feb 4, 2008
Austria
**** like this is WHY people aren't playing it.
**** like this is reality, at least throughout Central Europe.
If you prefer to betray potential buyers, well that's your choice.

"Don't play it because nobody's playing!"
Hmm, the bots are stupid as ****, there is soon no one to play with/against online.
What's left to induce somebody to buy?
Blur and bloom?

Cheers

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
**** like this is WHY people aren't playing it. "Don't play it because nobody's playing!"

You're just shooting yourself in the foot with that logic...

Well people dosent play UT3 because they simply dont like to play it so theres no need to encourage others to play it either...

Epic shoot themself in the foot by making another UT nobody wanted or could recognize as such...

I like UT3 btw, even if it's maybe not what it should be and I am unhappy they removed things like canister gun etc, or conquest and certain flaws in game, it plays good and I think the sp is best of the UT series even if the story is so........it kinda is self parody but I like it more than these ladders and compared to ut2004 singleplayer, this one simply rocks.
I like it the way it is and I don't see why people bashed this storyline as if it was the worst thing, they didn't understand it at all then...........

The singleplayer mode is simple Deathmatch with a poorly attached storyline...

Not only was the story garbage it utterly destroyed any chance of getting a decent Unreal singleplayer game again without having to retcon practiclly everything...

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well people dosent play UT3 because they simply dont like to play it so theres no need to encourage others to play it either...

Epic shoot themself in the foot by making another UT nobody wanted or could recognize as such...
Yeah, I totally couldn't tell this was UT when I first opened the package. All new weapons, all new levels, none of the vehicles were the same, only some basic game modes... yup. Complete and total confusion. I thought I was playing Quake!
The singleplayer mode is simple Deathmatch with a poorly attached storyline...

Not only was the story garbage it utterly destroyed any chance of getting a decent Unreal singleplayer game again without having to retcon practiclly everything...
UT games have never had anything beyond a thin storyline, as UT has never been a story-driven FPS. If you want story-driven FPS games, UT isn't going to fill that need now or ever.

You can make a great SP game, or a great MP game, but rarely is there a game that pulls both off successfully. UT never has, and it never will, and I'd rather it stick to MP than SP.

I'd much rather have Unreal 3 for my SP.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
UT games have never had anything beyond a thin storyline, as UT has never been a story-driven FPS. If you want story-driven FPS games, UT isn't going to fill that need now or ever.

You can make a great SP game, or a great MP game, but rarely is there a game that pulls both off successfully. UT never has, and it never will, and I'd rather it stick to MP than SP.

UT cant survive on a single extreme and it cant be just a multi game and it cant be just a single game and it cant reinvent itself everytime either, it cant survive on such a volotile concotion. UT needs solid and reliable gameplay and thats it.

UT dosent have the backbone of gamers to sustain a multi game only due to Epic trying to reinvent UT everytime all it managed is to alienate most of the gamers.

Gears of War shows that Epic if they put their act togheter can produce a solid single/multi/coop game, and from what I have seen of GOW2 they are not trying to reinvent the game.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Yeah, I totally couldn't tell this was UT when I first opened the package. All new weapons, all new levels, none of the vehicles were the same, only some basic game modes... yup. Complete and total confusion. I thought I was playing Quake!

WTF! I thought this was Mario 43!!!! [Shafted!!!] :mad: :p

Who gives a frak about story line? People grasp for it like a loosed rope. It's an intenser shooter/fragger and it's damn good at it. If you don't like it go away and stop trying to make it something it is not.

UT cant survive on a single extreme and it cant be just a multi game and it cant be just a single game and it cant reinvent itself everytime either, it cant survive on such a volotile concotion. UT needs solid and reliable gameplay and thats it.

UT dosent have the backbone of gamers to sustain a multi game only due to Epic trying to reinvent UT everytime all it managed is to alienate most of the gamers.

Gears of War shows that Epic if they put their act togheter can produce a solid single/multi/coop game, and from what I have seen of GOW2 they are not trying to reinvent the game.
Isn't that kind of why UT3 was a lot more like UT?

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Catch 44 situation.

Catch 22 you mean?

JimBodkins
I dont have quite enough iron to really play it - so I wont be going online.

WalMart lowered the price from $50 to $29.

This is an odd thing really. At $50, it seems to be contending for a choice as 'the next ... thing'. At $29, it is just a good game - well worth the money. Its not the money, its the positioning. For whatever reason, people seem to have decided (voted - like caeser ... thumbs down) that it isnt 'the next ... thing'.

I have played the demo ... and ignoring the 'my game is THE game' cool factor ... it is clear that UT3 is a good and fun game.

I wonder if people will buy and play it for $29 as a good/fun game.

Probably not ... gamers are jaded and dependent on associated game coolness.

Just curious how (or if) a price change effects anyones thinking.

P.S.
The retail game (unpatched) is MUCH heavier on resources than the demo.
[1] You bought it at Walmart, which means :tdown: -10
[2] You paid $29. :tdown: -2
[3] You're not playing online. :tup: :tdown: + 0 - 0
[4] Read through the other threads and acknowledge/respond to the reasons why we don't like this game. I can start you off in the proper direction by listing a few reasons:

• Multiplayer server browser is ONLY available while you're NOT playing a multiplayer game. UT2003/UT2004 allowed you to browse servers while you're still in a multiplayer game. You don't play multiplayer, but for 99.99999% of gamers who play UT3 online, this is PITA (pain in the bloody a$s)
  • Default FOV is crap 70, unless you manually set it to 100 (like in previous UT's) or if you patch the game to at least 1.2 (betas work too) where the FOV will actually stay at what you set it to
  • Make an in-game setting, then quit the game and open it up again. You'll find that you lose your settings. (Bot difficulties for example, PITA for offline and online gamers alike)
  • 80% of servers online are all bots, and the server browser does not let you distinguish which ones are bots-only and which are humans-only. UT2004 let you distinguish this.
  • Campaign is a bloody joke. "I've got the flag!" "You mean the field lattice generator? We're at war here..." UM NO, Epic. This isn't Gears of War! Go back to Unreal TOURNAMENT .
    [*] Cheesy lines that make no sense. For example, Reaper holding a shock rifle and yelling, "Fire in controlled bursts! Watch for civilians!" Uh... controlled bursts with a shock rifle? It's a semi-automatic weapon...
    [*] Some users can't get cinematics to work at all in UT3 without changing two parameters manually in the INI files. Maybe you're not one of these people, but I am, and so are 60-80% of other gamers who play UT3.
    [*] And so much more...

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
I was going to go through each post made by the local trolls but i can't be bothered. I'd much rather play UT3 with everyone else that plays UT3 online.

Yes there isn't a lot of players but it is most certainly not dead. Yes there are problems but patching and tweaking has fixed almost all my gripes with the game. The UI sucks i know, but UWindow2 is doing a great job to fix that.

If you have something negative to say that has already been said hundreds of times then please pluck up the courage and common sense and stop posting stupid comments like "Don't play the game, it's **** because no-one plays it". Idiots.

To the OP. Congrads on your purchase mate and i really hope you can join us online at some point. And to answer your question, personally i would be more likely to buy a cheaper game. When it comes to other people though i have no idea. The way the gaming market works just annoys me these days.

Last edited:
threadcrapxh6.jpg

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I'd much rather play UT3 with everyone else that plays UT3 online.

You're going to have to wait a bit, he went offline for a while, but he'll bbl.

:)

*waits for the ball hanger to come around*

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I really liked UT3. It had its flaws, and still does, but they were mostly in the shoddy finishing touches that make a product feel polished. Core gameplay is mucho fun.

However, though I don't usually consider the surrounding circumstances when I rate a game's merits, I admit I was severely turned off of UT3 by Epic themselves. Their launch and treatment of the community were and continue to be so heavy-handed that I began to have negative associations with UT3. They were so defensive about it, and tried to hard to silence the flood of legitimate criticisms, that it very much gave the impression of a damage game from the days of the disastrous "beta demo". "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" doesn't work very well, it seems. Seeing the high quotient of forum scrubbing and message control on Epic's official boards was the last piece of it, for me.

So, though the gameplay is good, Epic has nobody but themselves to blame for the awful reception Ut3 received. Many mediocre games have very strong communities, and the major factor seems to be the parent company's culture, and relation to their fans. Epic seems to feel that it can treat its fanbase however it pleases, and that it can survive by engine sales alone.

I loved UT3, but have not really played for three months now. Since I played every other UT game non-stop for nine years, and UT3 is easily their equal, I have to figure that there's something else that turned me away from it. So don't judge the gameplay by the awful online presence, or the negative vibe on these boards. Epic has shaken off a large portion of their loyal UT fanbase in these past six months, and is likely hoping for a new community based on UT3, who doesn't remember the company they used to be. Good luck to them with that, and if you like UT3 enough to stick around, you could get in on the new ground floor of the community, since the game itself is loads of fun.

QFT. My sentiments exactly.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
The Problem with the UT series is, every game looks better but plays worse.

First Unreal Online: Hard to frag, the way it should be, a skill game.

UT 99, still pretty good, but slightly dumbed down. Everyone can easily achieve frags.

UT 2003 better graphics, but the gameplay doesnt feel right, same goes for UT 3.

You know, attitudes like this is one of the reasons ppl don't really want to play online.

Believe it or not, most people buy a game to have FUN, not to be an a$$ and act like they are superior. Sure sometimes taunting others is fun, and deserved, but the attitude can go.

If you want challenge for your incredible skills, try drawing a perfectly straight line in MS Paint with magnification at about 25%. Don't forget to check yourself at like 200% to make sure you didn't get any pixels wrong. If you succeed, move on to a circle :lol:

*to the mod:
WELCOME! If you are into goofing around and learning new stuff, check out the editor. I am by no means even at decent amateur level myself, but its fun (though some things get pretty tricky).

Last edited:

Wrykyn

Jul 15, 2008

I don't care what anyone says, I played UT2004 for years and I loved it. So I doubt UT3 will be any different. In any case, as long as it parallels UT2004 I'm content.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Previous UT's default FOV was 90, not 100.

I didn't have 70 as default fov for ut3 anyway, I think 90 since beginning, but taht could be because i patched it although i tried to run it without patch too, but I didn't vhange settings so that could be it. The only UT having different FOV even after patches was ut2003 AFAIK.