I want an envied PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
So anyway, I'm going to get the most rockinest computer ever! At the moment, I've bought myself 2GB of RAM (Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5), 200GB HDD, and will get an FX-57 and an X850XT PE :)

It'll run like a slug, I expect, when Envy is released :(

T

Tournament0

Don't buy a new GPU now, wait when "Envy" comes out or wait for NVIDIA or ATI to make a new card. :tup:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
imo this is just about the worst possible time to buy a pc ever. Wait for the next generation of graphics cards and dual core cpus.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Bot_40 said:
imo this is just about the worst possible time to buy a pc ever. Wait for the next generation of graphics cards and dual core cpus.

I'd agree to an extent. Dual core processers is going to make a huge difference. GFX isnt so bad, but buying in advance for a game that is coming out in 2 years time or somit is stupid. Computer Hardware doubles in speed every 18 months. Good ol' Moore's Law

T

Tournament0

Bot_40 said:

Agreed. Don't buy a new computer now! Don't buy a new GPU now!
Wait for a while. Good things come to those who wait!
:D

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
Well, those dual cores might not be that good once they're released. ATI are on the verge of releasing a 512MB version of the X850 which is pretty swell.

I don't think I'll buy the computer just for the game though!! I just want a really top-spec computer that will last me a good couple of years before thinking about a serious upgrade, and will play UT2004 on a network and kick my brothers sissy backside. I know me though, I have friends who will mess their pants for an FX-57 when I get my FX-59, and similarly for an X850XT PE, so I'll constantly be buying new parts and selling my old parts.

Anybody looked up about the Cell processor? Google it. Brilliant!

Last edited:

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
As for waiting, well.. once I've waited, I'll just have to wait longer to get an even better thing. Good things only come to those who can liek, stop time or summink.

Arsenalvendetta

.: Death do us Apart :.
Apr 2, 2005
While we are on the topic of PC specs, would you rather own a Pentium or AMD for games [yes, the long debated topic returns...]. If you do choose an AMD, would you rather choose an Athlon XP chip that is claimed to run at let's say 2.6GH at par with a Pentium chip or a simple Duron processor that does run at 2.6GH?

BadAss84

BadAss[zero]
May 21, 2003
UK
I think i'll upgrade (read: build a whole new machine :p) a few weeks or so before envy is released, then i will know what will be able to run it well :)

And since im assuming the release is still probably 1.5 yrs away, i have a lot of time to save up :D

;)

Edit: Very nice pc btw ^^

Wonder how that would fair with envy :)

Last edited:

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
A reply :)

About the processors, I wouldn't get one of the AMD Athlon XP chips, I'd go with a 64bit chip, even a budget one. You could buy a Pentium, but they'll be useless in a couple of years when everybody codes for 64bit only.

For games, I'd get the Athlon, but for multi-tasking, media and stuff like that, I'd get the Pentium... actually, I'd still get the Athlon, they just perform so well!!! My old AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 was such a big difference over my Pentium 4 1.6GHz 400MHz FSB... There's less than a gigahert between them, in fact, about 600MHz, but the performance leap was HUGE!

I promise I'll get a pic of my new PC when I have it up and running. At the moment, I just have photo's of my case, motherboard and RAM chips just lying about. The case, by the way, is the Coolermaster Wavemaster, and it boasts a whopping 600W of Enermax power!

I'd put pictures on the net if Netfirms allowed me to upload anything greater than 256K, or I had my home server :( :( :(

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I just built a new AMD 64 system this weekend. You wouldn't believe the difference in performance over the XP's. I can run UT2k4 with all details turned up to max, and my fps stays around 100 or more (offline that is, online limits to 85 fps). It is amazingly smooth. I could play fine with my old XP1900, but I didn't realize just how good a system could perform.

Here's my system specs:

AMD 64 3200 939
MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI 939
1G Corshair mem
MSI 6600 GT 128mb
80 GB SATA HD
Thermaltake SViking case
Enermax Noisetaker 470W

Note that I got a top mobo to give me a solid base for future upgrades (faster cpu, more mem, dual vid cards, etc).

About "waiting to upgrade" - I say upgrade when you're ready. Why? There will always be SOMETHING that's the next new thing that everyone will tell you to wait for. Last year, it was "don't upgrade now, wait for the 64 bit processors." Now that the 64 bit processors are coming out, everyone's shouting "don't upgrade now, wait for the duel cores." After they come out, it will be "don't upgrade now, wait for the cell processors." And on and on it goes.

If you're always waiting on the next big thing in technology, it will leave you behind.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I'm not 100% up to date recently but it was always the case if you are looking to get the best performance for the price then AMD is almost always better, but if you are loaded and money isn't an issue then the high end pentiums usually outperform the high end AMD processors, you just gotta pay more for em :p Not sure if that is the case right now.
Being skint most the time I don't even consider buying a pentium :p

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah , you gotta upgrade sooner or later... the only thing that should be holding you back is the cash you got, and maybe when something is obviously going to be released in the next 2 months or something... otherwise, i'd say go for it... and yeah, i was confused when you said 'fx-57' , it sounded like the geforce fx 5700 ... stupid naming schemes...
if you want seriously over the top performance, get one of the new dualcore pentium extreme editions, its like 2 whole processors in one... and the new intel mobo has sli too, so in addition to 2 processors running together , you get to use 2 video cards running together too... its the age of parallelism, baby

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
I'd rather go for the single chip solution with the graphics, though. I'm a big fan of ATI graphics, so I'll wait for their dual GPU configuration before I consider even using it. As for dual core CPU's, they'll be better at doing different things. I think, one of the main reason's we are going to multi-cored processors is because the way we use computers is diverging and becoming more varied... it would be impractical to make a CPU that makes UT Envy run at 400fps, but compressing a 2 meg file takes 4 minutes. I'm not sure how much of a big difference dual core CPU's will make at the time of release, keeping in mind that their clock speed will be significantly dropped.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Your analogy of dual core is very wrong.

Firstly i'd like to agree with Ren - if you don't upgrade because of 'the next thing' then when will you? you'll miss out on all the goodness of a fast machine until then. THen when it comes along, sell the old box to a student and buy the new one. I was considering upgrading recently, but i've lost the interest to, i would sell off my old 3200xp 2k4 rig in order to make a starter block for a 939 system that could go up to multicore & multiGPU. Like Ren did, you can buy a great system now that will do you well with multi* upgrades.

What i *am* waiting for, however, is the ATi answer to SLI, it could change mobos. I would also like a BTX system (if not a sff one) which will be more ergonomic... sadly i have to wait for them to come out - but Dell have jumped on it so it won't be long before OEM boards are BTX.

On to the post by azcn - multicoring will give great benefits to the smoothness of gameplay. Once things are threaded and scheduled properly then you'll find that, as with HT intel chips, you'll never get 'slow downs' in the input of the machine, they'll become far more real-time. The ability to spread the load will allow for smoother gaming overall. It will also increase the speed that most things are done, if not drastically then certainly well enough to be worth it.

The biggest benefit will be, imho, insteat of 2600MHz running one chip on all aspects of the game, you can have (say) 2000MHz focusing on world rendering & interface with another 2000MHz focusing on physics and AI. While code that's not enhanced for this type of multistuff won't benefit from it, it will eventually happen.

It's a moot point about upgrading to multicore. It'll happen and it will benefit you.