Performance tweaking

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Djazaus

revealed
I was just wondering if I'm getting the most out of my setup (Athlon 1800+ / 512 DDR / GF3). I play in D3D at 1600*1200 with textures/skins set to max, with decals on and get around about 60-70 fps which is cool, so without lowering my resolution or detail, is there any way of boosting performance?

I know it seems greedy to want more, but I'm just curious.

S

SpiritWalker

Yeah man!! you be a greedy HO'
no real need to mess with that..

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
ok and now for real :)

i think, not sure though, i will have a similar pc in a few days then ill experimentate, that you should get more fps, 60 is low for such a high end pc, i saw 800 mhz with gf2's that ran ut on 1280*1024... with everything high 32 bit on 80 fps, so you should be alot higher imo

skin and texture detail does barely something about the fps,certainly not anymore if you have such a powerfull machine, the texture detail settings more affects the game and windows' cache and if you play on a low end pc with textures high your pc will start slugging
whats more important is the resolution, colourdepth and other settings(decals and stuff do barely something too)
also notice, that if you can never get above a certain fps range, if you can enver can go beyond like 120 fps or more then you have v sync on, you should turn that of
but i really have to search for myself, maybe i can post more info about it in a few days, the thing you can allreayd do is play on a bit lower resolution maybe, cause 1600 is really small unless you have a huge screen, and optimize your ram, go to, by default, c:\unrealtournament\system\unrealtournament.ini > that file you need, open with notepad, search for line

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=98

thats the ram, i have 128 ram myself, and the rule is that you leave 1/4 or 1/3 left for windows, so in my case i give UT the permission to fully use up to maxmimum 98/128 ram usage, in your case, you can easily type 400 there, this will result in faster loading times,the real fps wont change from this

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
lower the resolution

I cant see the point in playing @ 1600x1200, I get chuggage that's not there at 1280xwhatever :)

Djazaus

revealed
Yeah, like Hourences said: I would expect a little more from such a machine. I'm not complaining, I just recall seeing stuff from guys on lower end comps boasting higher performance.. Oh, it's running on a 19 incher btw..

I mean, having just come from a celeron 400 / 128 / software rendering piece of shit running at a max of 640*480 to play reasonably smoothly, I not about to bitch over a few fps.

Last edited: