Assault back in UT3 with expansion pack!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
When UT3 came, system requirements were pretty steep. They still are for most people. It failed because it's not possible to play with lesser settings.

Meh you can cut the requirments pretty steply, what you cant do is improve the faulty gameplay by moving a slider...

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
When UT3 came, system requirements were pretty steep. They still are for most people. It failed because it's not possible to play with lesser settings.

Nah, thats just one of many many reasons, no one single thing killed UT3, it was many things, big and small, that all stacked togeather makes for one huge turnoff for the vast majority of people out there, the game itself, its launch and how Epic has handled it post release has just been full of flaws.

Seriously, point to any aspect of UT3 and how it has been handled, and you find flaws and shortcommings, even the one thing it does well, its core gameplay, has its flaws and bugs.. no game is perfect, but there's a limit to how many problems we'll forgive and put up with.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Come on, it says nothing like that. Just some catchy phrase someone stole from somewhere else is all.

I do think an ASsault game type or mode of some sort will be included. I think that's a good way to expand the story and supply more background info to the story they started with the intro.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
It could be a hint though its much more likely written to be a play on the war theme of UT3.

Or of couse it could be a typo and should read the insult continues.

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
as long as they arent wasting time by adding an assualt mode instead of fixing and polishing the game ill be happy... UT3.5 no assault necessary ;) we need the tournament back, not fake war scenarios and gimmick maps that turn into AS/race junk.

anyone whois a 'pc gamer' woudld have a machine that could play ut3 on release at decent settings, and a year later its practically cheap to buy a new machine or upgrade an old one to play ut3, unless you have no job or mommy wont fork over the cash ... i really dont get the whining about system settings... its just not true. i upgraded my pc for less than the cost of an xbox and it runs over 100fps down to 60 in a major fragfest on full details...

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
anyone whois a 'pc gamer' woudld have a machine that could play ut3 on release at decent settings, and a year later its practically cheap to buy a new machine or upgrade an old one to play ut3, unless you have no job or mommy wont fork over the cash ... i really dont get the whining about system settings... its just not true. i upgraded my pc for less than the cost of an xbox and it runs over 100fps down to 60 in a major fragfest on full details...

The key is inconvenience. You have to actually know what you're doing and where to get those things, and what you need to make it run good anyway. And then you need to build it. It would take a few days to complete, imagine how many UT3 matches you could have during that time :)

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Tbh high system specs imo were never a real bar to take up of the game. UT2k4 was just as demanding of specs at the time and so was Unreal. (never played UT so can't comment)

Timing might have hurt it though. The game was released not too long after the hardware industry swapped over to PCI Express leaving many people with not very old but not really UT3 ready AGP based systems and no cheap upgrade path.

As UnrealGrrl says parts are cheap at the moment and a UT3 capable pc does not require cutting edge stuff anymore.

Last edited:

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
But the thing is that no one is going to build a PC for UT3 at this point in time no matter how cheap the price is for hardware.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Nah, thats just one of many many reasons, no one single thing killed UT3, it was many things, big and small, that all stacked togeather makes for one huge turnoff for the vast majority of people out there, the game itself, its launch and how Epic has handled it post release has just been full of flaws.

Seriously, point to any aspect of UT3 and how it has been handled, and you find flaws and shortcommings, even the one thing it does well, its core gameplay, has its flaws and bugs.. no game is perfect, but there's a limit to how many problems we'll forgive and put up with.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It seems everything that could go wrong, did. A combination of incompetence, bad luck, and very bad timing.

The worse part of the UT3 timing was the release of vista. Vista performance and driver issues ruined the game for many players. They just walked away. Just look at all the early threads over at epic about stuttering, low fps, crashing, etc, on high end video cards, all with vista. It's a shame they blamed the game when it was actually vista and driver related for the most part. Microsoft even blamed nvidia and ati for the vista poor performance and stability problems due to bad drivers. So, many folks who bought or build a new PC for UT3 with vista had performance issues and problems that just did not get fixed for many months. The early super expensive 8800 series cards had very poor performance. The NEW cheap 8800GT had great performance. The ATI X1900XT cards still do not work with UT3 a year later. So, either they bought new video cards or they blamed UT3 and walked away.

Then there was the cpu hardware requirements. UT3 was one of the first games that required a duel core cpu to run well. Not just any X2 cpu, but one with 2X 1Mb cache or better. That was not good for those folks with the cheap AMD 64 X2 chips with 2X 512Kb cache. AMD machines just did not run the game as well as Intel C2D machines. That's a hard way to find out your hardware sucks with real applications when the synthetic benchmarks say otherwise. Ditto for the Pentium D owners. Fact is both Intel and AMD have false advertised performance using "rigged" synthetic benchmarks to make their chips look good. Now all of a sudden real games are available to find real gaming benchmarks and some folks find out their machines are not up to the task. They want to run high setting, but cannot. It's that MAX setting issue thing I guess.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
They should bundle UT3, it's expansion and a high-end graphics card, where they give away the software for $29 if you compare prices and count off the GPU.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Uuuuggggghhhhhhhhh....... are you guys serious?

Both UT and UT2004 were planned as expansion packs to their predecessors, so Epic has a chance to do anything they want (including change the UI, why couldn't you chang the UI in an expansion pack? :con:)

Drama queens :shake:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I don't think I have ever seen a non stand alone expansion pack that have radically changed the UI, can you name one?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, because I don't care to research it more :p

Frankly, it's been a long time since I've bought a non-standalone expansion pack to a game, so it would be hard for me to tell you anyway. I think the last one I bought was The Frozen Throne for Warcraft 3. People don't make these all that often anymore. Except for crap like The Sims...

I guess if you count Forged Alliance for Supcom, but it DID pretty drastically change the UI... and it was standalone.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Uuuuggggghhhhhhhhh....... are you guys serious?...Drama queens :shake:

Yeah RILLY. I mean 50+ posts (do I hear 100?) on a regurgitated rumor/old info is kinda nuts. Move along folks...

Or maybe we're just desperate for some kind of news on Teh Ecks-SPAN-shun™®. :rolleyes: Reminds me of all of 2007 when they kept pushing back the release date...or was that 2006?? :hmm:

Ha HAAAAAAA! Do any of yas feel about Epic like Charlie Brown does when Lucy yanks the football away?? :stick: I damned sure do.

Last edited: