Computer Problems/Upgrades/Info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
David Gingerich's Wishlist

SKU Product Price Purchased
CPU-AMD64-0004 AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ 939PIN OEM
$485.00
VC-AOPEN-6800U AOPEN Aeolus 6800Ultra-DVD256 RETAIL (PRE-ORDER)
$539.00
MB-ASUS-018 ASUS A8V DELUXE K8T800PRO Wi- Fi MOTHERBOARD RETAIL (ETA 6/25)
$160.00
MMN-COR-078 CORSAIR 1GB (2X512MB) PC3200 XL KIT SERIES MEMORY RETAIL
$340.00
HD-SEGA-001 SEAGATE 80GB/7200 SERIAL ATA HARD DRIVE 8MB OEM
$78.00

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
If you get the Socket 939 Motherboard then you hav eto get a 3500 CPU minimum. Its a nice board with Dual Memory Support. Guess you have to Pimp out to those Housewives a little longer then you wanted... :lol: :lol:

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
Taz, we gotta start talking about what parts I need to get to build my new fragbox. Now that Gabby has started college, she will need the comp quite a bit, so it's best to get cracking. :)

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Iceburgs said:
Taz, we gotta start talking about what parts I need to get to build my new fragbox. Now that Gabby has started college, she will need the comp quite a bit, so it's best to get cracking. :)

You have my number call me when your ready. I am going to start pretty soon on my upgrades sometime in July..

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
You know for a little while today I thought upgrading my teamspeak fixed my sticky keys problem or whatever you wanna call it.

First map I did some serious damage and almost made myself sick. Then look what happenes on the second map! WTF is wrong with my computer!?

When it said the speedhack was detected I was probably getting 1 or 2 frames per second. I was jumping all over the damn place. It was terrible.

Attachments

• Shot00046.jpg
    Shot00046.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 22
  • Shot00049.jpg
    Shot00049.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Bonecrusher said:
You know for a little while today I thought upgrading my teamspeak fixed my sticky keys problem or whatever you wanna call it.

First map I did some serious damage and almost made myself sick. Then look what happenes on the second map! WTF is wrong with my computer!?

When it said the speedhack was detected I was probably getting 1 or 2 frames per second. I was jumping all over the damn place. It was terrible.

I noticed your PING is 195 in the one screen. I am thinking Graphics Card Drivers.

When your Crappy SONY VAIO was running almost decent what Version of the Catalyst Drivers was you using? You installed new drivers maybe something just isn't right with them. Sometimes installing newer drivers onto a older card doesn't work. I am using old drivers on my ProphetIII which runs pretty good. You have tried pretty much everything else but bad frames or caused by Bad Graphics. Is your Card getting to hot?? You said the second map it started to act up. Check your Airflow, pull the card out clean the fan real good. Uninstall Drivers and reinstall them. Your stuff wasn't acting up this bad before.. Cards go bad so maybe thats the case..

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Well I went back two catalyst drivers. Played another game of thorns and all seemed well...but then citadel wouldn't get off the loading screen. I'll have to test this theory out at practice or whenever somebody to frag with shows up around here.

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
Well, graphics have nothing to do with one's ping. I would suggest instead calling your ISP and seeing if they can detect any kind of problem with your connection. Do a tracert to our server and see if there are any particular hops that ping bad (you'll have to do at least ten to check for consistent results). Do you have cable or dsl? If cable, maybe somebody is turning on their tivo or something and causing your bandwidth to go to crap. But my main point is that your hardware isn't causing bad pings... unless it's the modem itself. Hmm, might want to get your cable or dsl company to switch out your modem for you. It may make a big difference. How old is the one you currently have? If it's around 2+ years, I'd definitely have it switched out, but they can also start to go bad before that.

Last edited:

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Shattered_Steel said:
Well, graphics have nothing to do with one's ping. I would suggest instead calling your ISP and seeing if they can detect any kind of problem with your connection. Do a tracert to our server and see if there are any particular hops that ping bad (you'll have to do at least ten to check for consistent results). Do you have cable or dsl? If cable, maybe somebody is turning on their tivo or something and causing your bandwidth to go to crap. But my main point is that your hardware isn't causing bad pings... unless it's the modem itself. Hmm, might want to get your cable or dsl company to switch out your modem for you. It may make a big difference. How old is the one you currently have? If it's around 2+ years, I'd definitely have it switched out, but they can also start to go bad before that.

No Duh..
We all know Graphics Cards have nothing to do with PING.. I was just pointing out his high PING. BC's problem has nothing to do with his connection. His VAIO is having problems running the game. Keys not responding, framerates dropping to <10, running laggy even with details set to low. Those current problems and the fact that he could atleast run the game somewhat prior to the past month makes me wonder if its not some kind of Driver or Hardware problem. Its very well documented that ATI put out crappy drivers on occasion and going back to a previous version that actually worked is logical. Don't ya think??

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Last night while you guys were at "practice" my mom actually made an attempt to help me out. She doesn't know any more than I do...but two heads are better than one right? Heres what we did.

Turned off the puter and ripped out the video card. Blew all the dust out of the fan, and out of the slot on the mobo...put it back in and it still didn't help. Just to narrow things down I fired up 2K3...and that does it too. So blaming the game is out.

When I locked up in bollwerk with the flag and ran into the lava...I leaned down to see if i could tell WHAT beeped at me, but I couldn't tell. If I had the old nvidia drivers for that 32MB card that came with the puter, I'd slap that in for ****s and giggles...but cant find em. Either the mobo is going bad, one of the sticks of memory is going bad (Do you think a 256MB PC133 Memory stick would last six years? I know I don't) or the vid card is dying, those are the only things I think it could be.

And hardware getting hot can't be it because Taz had me take off the side panel for better airflow. I'm not gonna hurt my head on it. This computer works fine for everyday school use and stuff. Running games is a no-go. So I'm gonna have to excuse myself from practices for a while until I get a puter. Count on two months atleast. Just gonna work my ass off for more money.

BTW taz...Corsair came down $50 on cyberpowersystem. I dunno if its a special or what...but if the price goes back up later I'll be pissed. I got a nice Athlon 64 3500+ mapped out for under $1600

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
www.guru3d.com or nvidia.com fro NVIDIA Drivers.
You can actually test your ram out very easy. Pull 1 stick and fire up UT2K3, if it still occurs turn off puter and swap sticks and try again. If it still occurs its not ram. Pull ATI Card put in TNT32MB card and give that a shot, if that doesn't work you can scratch Graphics and Ram off List. Since this only occurs During Gameplay, makes me think RAM or Graphics Card. These things are used alot during gameplay. The only other thing would be Harddrive (Virtual Memory) Is there a Default Settings Button you can click on?? Now since your back on the New Puter Bus lets talk Barebones!! Lets list the Bare Minimum you would need to Play!
1) Mobo
2) CPU
3) Ram
4) Heatsink (Only if CPU is OEM)
5) CD Rom
6) Hardrive (Nope, I can donate a 40GB WD)
7) Case/PS (Nope, Got one)

You should have the rest.. Will have to switch Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse back and forth between VAIO and New (Bone Box) <<Theme>>
Then you slowly but surely save up and get rest of gear!!

Lets see what we can do!!

Here's a barebones from Monarch!
Pre-Tested and Setup AMD Athlon 64 (754) Barebones System
$18.00
Case: 100520 - PS 420W - Logisys Scorpio Mid-Tower Case
$59.00
Motherboard: 110161 - Asus K8V K8T800 DDR-400/SATA/USB/GB-LAN/8 $99.00
Processor: 120759 - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512K (Retail Box-w-Fa
$245.00
Memory: 140693 - DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) OCZ
$195.00

Total= $616.00
Now Add
Asus CD-S520 52X CD-ROM (Black) $26.00
Total=$642.00

I see the Graphic Crad is missing, but wait I have a TI4600 you can borrow until you upgrade!! Isn't that correct ICEY??

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
I gotta thank you for the help you're offering. But I think I got this one. Its just gonna take a little time. I could use some free time anyway. Give me two months. I'll still drop in every once in a while and check on things, and I'll give yas tips if you want em. I was helping meat out this morning. Ima get me a fragbox and come back with a vengeance.

But with my time off from the game, I'm gonna work, and get out and see the world. Dev knows what I'm talking about. This coming Saturday I'm gonna vanish for a whole week (going on vacation)...don't get lost while im gone. After that, its all about work. I'm gonna ask for extra hours wherever possible. You see...instead of sitting here talking about random things I could be at work making money and having fun while im doing it. Thats right, I find working at the grocery store FUN. I ENJOY going to work. wish I was there now, I think ima make a trip up there just to talk to my friends.

Anyways...yeah. Thanks for the help taz, But I'll take care of it. Time off can be good sometimes. See yas!

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I wish more young folks and older folks had the same atitiude you have. Work can be fun even if you don't like your job. It gets you out of your house and you meet other folks.. Good Luck and Enjoy!!

«BuA»Meat

Silent Assassin
Oct 27, 2003
Québec
hey dude work is a place you want to be happy because for me co-worker are the ones i see most of my time. I see my co-workers more than my wife so you better like where you work.

Also i gladly liked our tt discussion this morning, i'm taking good notes of it wish their was more !

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
What Lurk said. Don't become a complete stranger. You know, I have heard that a certain neighbor of yours has an unused computer many evenings during the week. seeing as this certain neighbor isn't around during those hours, you think he would mind if you used it every once in a while? :) :p