Possible to have 5.1 SPDIF output on current comp setup? Pics included [56k beware]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Hey guys, recently I got a new computer that has RealTek HD Audio output (ALC662 standard). Yes, it's onboard motherboard audio. The motherboard is a ASRock A780 FullDisplayPort MicroATX.

Four years ago, my brother bought me some 5.1 surround sound wireless headphones by Acoustic Research (model number AW791). I thought they were cool and got it to hook up on my computer... in analog. I would prefer digital, though. I wasn't bothered back then, being a freshman in high school, so I enjoyed analog with gusto.

Now it's 2008 and I'm wondering if I could get digital output to work.

Here's my current (unfortunately analog) setup.

AdaptorCable.jpg

motherboard.jpg

HeadphoneBase.jpg

As you can see, I’m using an adapter cable of sorts to make computer-audio compatible with my wireless-headphones-base.

My question is… Is it possible to get my computer to output SPDIF? And if so, is there an adapter cable out there that will let me plug in one end into my computer (SPDIF output) to my headphones base (coaxial-OR-optical input) ?

Important note: I can’t find any SPDIF output jack on my computer. The only jacks available are the ones that I took a picture of (the second JPEG image from the first)

Here is the RealTek control panel that I get from Windows:

RealtekWindow.jpg

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Who keeps tagging my threads as "best of neilthecellist"? Seriously, grow up.

And Zero, if you've got nothing useful to say, shut up and get out of this thread. I want real advice, not some smartass remark jokes. I'm not in the mood.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Why so serious?

If you don't have the hardware you're not going to be able to push out S/PDIF audio. It's pretty simple. You answered your own question in your post. Thus my reply.

Get over yourself, mate.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Most onboard audio solutions can output digital audio, but most motherboards--as you've noticed on your motherboard--only have the analogue jacks built-in. (Some higher-end ones have the digital jacks built-in too, though.)

To get digital audio from your onboard audio, you'll need to buy one of those slot-plates that has the SPDIF coax and/or optical jacks on them (it looks like your receiver takes both anyway, so if you can find a coax-only one it would be cheaper), and then plug it into the appropriate header on your motherboard. Looking at the manual for your particular board, it's labelled HDMI_SPDIF. (It appears it's really intended to be used with a video card with an SPDIF input, but you can use it for the purpose you're wanting as well.)

Oh yeah, if you can't seem to find such a slot-plate, it's relatively trivial to make one with a coax output yourself. It's just a matter of connecting an RCA jack to the SPDIF and GND pins on that pin header.

Anyway, if you can't find one and need help making one, lemme know and I'll see if I can help.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
SlayerDragon, your post just got pwned by Hryulian's. So get over yourself.

Hyrulian, I appreciate that you went through the trouble of looking through my motherboard manual. My question now is, would it be possible to get the plate from a typical electronics vendor like Fry's Electronics (in Mira Mesa ish area) or Newegg (online?). Would it be easier just to make it?

Hyrulian said:
It's just a matter of connecting an RCA jack to the SPDIF and GND pins on that pin header.

...Wait... What do mean by "connecting an RCA jack"? And by SPDIF/GND pins, you mean the pins on my motherboard? *flips through manual for motherboard*

Last edited:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
My question now is, would it be possible to get the plate from a typical electronics vendor like Fry's Electronics (in Mira Mesa ish area) or Newegg (online?).

Newegg might have it. Actually Fry's might have it too, but I forgot if they have it for sure. I guess next time I end up there (which is probably gonna be after Christmas) I could check, if you don't end up checking before hand. (Don't bother asking the people of course, they will probably have no idea.)

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Newegg might have it. Actually Fry's might have it too, but I forgot if they have it for sure. I guess next time I end up there (which is probably gonna be after Christmas) I could check, if you don't end up checking before hand. (Don't bother asking the people of course, they will probably have no idea.)

Is this what you're talking about?

HDMI_SPDIF.jpg

I won't be going to Fry's any time soon :( I'll be on a trip to who-knows-where, my parents haven't decided on a location yet.

If Newegg might have it, what search terms should I be using? "HDMI RCA plate" doesn't bring up much on search.

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
From the look of it, your motherboard doesn't have the correct output. (and you say you don't)
You may need an audio card.
I see your motherboard has a connection for SFDIF audio but unless it came with the wire, those things are tough to find.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx

Yeah, that's the pin-header I was talking about. It's the same pin-out as on two of my ECS boards, and my brother's MSI board; it's pretty much standard. I think just about all onboard audio which conforms to the Intel HD Audio standard (such as the one you have) has the same pinout; it's not as manufacturer-specific as they used to be. I wouldn't know how to go about looking for it on Newegg though, I have nfi what those things are really called. I'll see if I can track one down for you and let you know.

Edit: If you don't mind eBay, I found one that would fit your motherboard. $10 plus $7 shipping (to my zip code; to your place shouldn't be any different)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECS-Motherboard...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318
If you decide to buy from him, make sure to let him know you need the 4-pin connector like your board has, not the 3-pin.

I'm still going to try to find one at Fry's, though, because that would probably be a lot less hassle to deal with.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I have never handled SPDIF cables and connectors, but based on my knowledge this is your situation:

You're currently doing analog out of your motherboard's onboard audio. Judging by your picture, you have no SPDIF ports on the I/O plate of your motherboard. However, the SPDIF pins on your motherboard is a genuine SPDIF output. The software is probably intelligent enough to know there is nothing on the pins, and therefor makes the digital option unavailable. You will need an extra piece like in the picture I attached or Hyrulian linked to. Check and see if your motherboard came with a similar piece. If not, you'll have to purchase one.

Referring to the picture, all you really need is the yellow jack and the cable with it that leads to the SPDIF pins on your motherboard. From there, you need to purchase a SPDIF cable to travel from this yellow jack to the one you pictured next to your red and white jacks on the back of your subwoofer/receiver. Don't spend a lot of money on a "monster-super-hi-fi-digital-cable", as the purpose of the cable is fairly simple compared to analog ones.

If this doesn't work, don't get mad at me, I've never actually hooked one up. :eek: But I'm pretty sure that is how you do it without a soundcard already with it. I can't say I've heard "pure" digital audio systems either, but I doubt onboard digital playing mp3s will not blow you away.

I don't want insult your intelligence with this paraphrasing but analog signals, by far, are the most uh... capable... of sending the most high-fidelity sound to speakers. It is the same age-old argument that vinyl sounds better than CD's. It does not matter a whole lot either though, as formats such MP3s are digital and are not exactly sending the most complex analog waves down your wires in the first place. However, if you want the best highs and deepest bass, you stay with high quality analog cables on analog devices like record players. The only downside of analog is interference from other electromagnetic fields. Anything with an electronic current induced will omit at least some level of electromagnetic fields. A common example is people hearing crackling out their computer speakers when a cellphone nearby rings. So while basic digital can be great if you're never going to play anything better than something like 192kbps MP3s, its not going to help in any way other than removing noise on the cable that is not originating from the audio source.

Simply put; crap happening to the signal traveling from the computer to the speakers. Both have their pros and cons. In theory, digital cables is the optimal format for PCs because the source is digital. Digital is pretty much only a downgrade in quality if the source is a complete, analog, sine wave that needs to be modulated.

Attachments

• SPDIF.jpg
    SPDIF.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Is it me or does Neil have serious issue's with posting on a forum? Every answer that isn't to his liking is trolling.

He sucks! (I can say that because he got me on ignore :D)