UT2kX [Gametype] Betrayal (UT3 to UT2004 port)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Dear friends of healthy paranoia and cultivated Instagib slaughtering, by popular request I present to you:
Betrayal

"Betrayal, what?" - If you haven't heard of the UT3 game type Betrayal yet, I recommend you watch one of the Betrayal guides available online, for example A Guide To BETRAYAL by VoxHouseStudio. It'll tell you about the basic gameplay mechanics, as they are in UT3. I tried to merge the general Betrayal rules and feel into UT2004 gameplay, making UT2004 players feel as comfortable as possible.

There are a number of changes from the UT3 version to improve gameplay:
  • The bot AI was improved. Bots stop trying to betray each other after one player in a three player team betrayed the team. Also they will try to betray towards the end of the game to either win themselves or prevent a teammate from winning.
  • There are some balacing changes to encourage teams to stay together for a while. You do not get the bonus for killing a player with more points than you if you are a rogue or on the same team. Also, rogue time is doubled if you betray really early.
  • The Shockrifle gets serverside ping compensation in network games. A server admin can turn this off entirely, but when the feature is enabled, clients can still turn it off individually via the Betrayal HUD settings. That menu can also be accessed through the UTComp and TAM config keybinds.
  • Team colors can be swapped via the same menu, i.e. teammates can be made red instead of blue. The color swap affects player skins, HUD and scoreboard, but not the color of the shots.

rdy2bz kindly contributed two "Betrayal in 6" sheets to explain the game mode in a compact way:

The complete description is also available on my website. The readme and "Betrayal in 6" sheets are also included in the download.

"Yuck, Instagib!" - To be honest, I don't like Instagib either. But Betrayal for UT2k4 doesn't strictly force you to play with the Super Shock Rifle. As you may (or may not) know, I also created the Mercury Missiles mod. Betrayal comes with a separate mutator that replaces the Super Shock Rifle with the Instagib Mercury Missile Launcher, in case you don't like the instant-hit gameplay that standard Instagib creates. But if you do play with the Super Shock Rifle, I also added "unlagging" to it, i.e. server-side ping compensation for online play.

Just because someone will try sooner or later: Betrayal is incompatible to UTComp and there are no intentions (or reasonable ways) to change that.
Remember to add to ServerPackages if you want to record working demos, even in offline play. (But that applies to about any other mod as well.)

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Not the UT2004 version yet. I made some balancing changes to encourage playing as it is intended. Also the bot AI is better than in the UT3 version.
For example, bots consider the score limit for betraying. They might even try to betray you towards the end of the game just to deny you the winning pot. Also in teams of three players, the remaining two bots will stop trying to betray each other after a third player betrayed the team.