New UT2007 Video from GC2005, Leipzig

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
Okay, what i did not like:

The playermodels need work, it seems they are sliding across the floor instead of walking
((In video 6:43 minutes)

Shadows, a dig issue with the tank, there seem to be no shadow underneath the tank...
(In video 8:24 minutes)

Also weapon glows are not there. No glows on the ground or walls from either the plasma sphere or rockets wich make it very hard to experience depth in the game imo
(In video all over)

No blood trails, tire or explosion burns (decals) (In video 7:20)

The 'world' doesn't seem to be interactive, cables with the lampions seem to be made out of non movable material.
(In video 7:26 minutes)

The sounds are just plain awefull! Unnatural and unballanced volume wize (just like it is in UT2004)

What I did like:

Well, I did like the non rendered stuff, but who needs that right?!
I also did like the dynamic lighting (except for the shadows under the vehicles)

Although it all looked great, if you take a closer look you must admit the game is far from finished imo.

I truely hope they would finish the game before releasing it, I really hope this will not be a second UT2003/2004 (looking good, play like crap)

Last edited:

[MD]FT

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
JaFO said:
So ?
It's early in development.
It's a demo ... and a tiny/'realistic' explosion would not show the effect on a big screen.

This is still the Unreal-engine and anything you won't like can be mutated to match your mood.
I'd suggest you stick with playing UT'99 since any of this new stuff doesn't seem to be good enough for you.

Of course it's "in the game" as it is running and using whatever parts of UT2k7 are 'done'. They've said that they had already 'ported' DM-mechanics to the new engine.

It is quite obviously a tech-demo level, considering it has that ff-ing long museum-walk at the start.

I mean it's practically shorter than the very first Assault-level in UT'99 for *beeps* sake.

If it really is 'in-game' then it's probably as either a tutorial or a demo for the 'missions' in Unreal Warfare/Conquest.

Perhaps they do have a 'more solid' build, but they're (probably) using the one that's 100% certain not to crash while they're showing off. They simply can't risc using last weeks build. Never mind that 99% of the stuff they're doing at this point is invisible to observers.

In articles about the new build they've pretty much said they're using barebones levels for testing/development with the graphics being added at a later stage. I'm pretty sure that they're spending more time on the things that matter and as little as possible on the tech-demo-level they use for shows.

// ---
So far the only beta-quality game I've seen is Driv3r and the BF2-demo.
UT2k3 may not have been as 'perfect' compared to UT2k4, but a beta it most certainly was not.

lol, make up your mind, was that level we saw part of the game or a "tech demo"?!?!?!

I thought I read somewhere that it was in the game,

Sorry, I wont suggest any improvements then. Then again, everything I said was bad in UT2003 (which people said i was speaking crap about) was improved or changed in UT2004. Telling people to "go back to UT" is probbley the most retarded thing anyone can say, I havent played that game in years, and I have just started playing UT2004 again, which is fun, but still needs some work to be done on it. I just hope they tone down the movement in UT2007 for the maps sake.

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
edhe said:
They won't be showing gibbage because that would require some kind of maturity rating.

They're playing is safe :)

The presentation was for 18 years and older people .

They really showed masses of blood at the convention (not in the UT2007-video ), but the games or the presentations were rated 18+.To name some , Brothers in Arms Add-On , Fear .

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
fuegerstef said:
Thank God we have posters like you. I was getting sick of people complaining that the Rocket Explosions looked Beta...

It looked beta. Because it is beta.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
amazing. both the video and the replies...

we see the most amazing video clips yet of the next UT and ppl are whining already? sheesh!

few things - anything in this beta stage is going to have issues, please. who knows what settings were on or off or not even in the game yet? the games a year off, what do you expect to see? Jafo pointed out some really cool stuff we were shown and i liked the way they did the 'unreal through the years' presentation, hope we get an updated english version sooner or later...

the voices are probably places holders, just like they were in UT2003, they had some quickie voices in the demo even if i recall and it wasnt until the release that the finalized voices were in game... (they do sound poor quality, but what i DID LIKE was it sounded like there were a lot more interactive voices included this time which is great and something UT has always lacked.

the environment looks awesome and i cant wait to see more, hoping for LOTS of urban mas, especially in Conquest / Unreal Warfare.

and Malcoms animations / character movements are nothing short of completely Unreal and amazing. the new models in UT2007 and prob any ue3 game are going to be so much more fun to play because theyre going to be so much fun to watch! i cant wait to see some of the cool animations we are sure to be graced with!! :tup:

and as for it being a similar demo. of course it is. not everyone in the world is sitting here at BU all day or scouring the web for every last bit of ut2k7 info. theyve gotta do worldwide marketing, advertising and showcase the new game and tech if they want either to continue to succeed. :)

Last edited:

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
They whine because they care :), for instance; I'd really hate to see blood continue it's downward usage. UT2004 was a lot less bloody than UT99, and while it doesn't affect gameplay, it is one of those small touches I do appreciate when I'm attacking people with a rocket launcher.

A thought on the alpha mapped sprite vs 3d shock combo: Why couldn't they just have both? A 3d ball would give it shape, and then the texture could use the same properties we use now to give certain models cell shading. Only instead of an even black and white outline, a gradient alpha could be used to make the 3D shock combo ball see-through towards the middle no matter what angle you're looking at it from.

None the less, I am kind of disapointed that some 2d sprites still seem to remain (at least it seems so in the rocket explosions). I admit it'd be hard to get suitable 3d replacements for fire, but I was kind of hoping they'd figure something out with their advanced emitter system...

Last edited:

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
[MD]FT said:
One thing that I didnt like about UT2004 and also UT2007 is that the shock explosion was a 3d effect, in UT its just 2D which imo is a lot better and u can see through it. The explosion in UT2007s ball is covered in crap and the visabitly through it aint that great

If you look closely, in UT the shock explosion is both a 3D expanding plasma ball (like it is with the redeemer only smaller and blue/purple-ish) , and a 2D (sprite) shockwave with explosion in the middle....

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
[MD]FT said:
lol, make up your mind, was that level we saw part of the game or a "tech demo"?!?!?!

I thought I read somewhere that it was in the game,
Like light : both a particle and wave
this was both a tech-demo and in-game. :p

In-game : because it uses the exact mechanics as UT2k7
tech-demo : because it is quite obviously not really that playable
it's probably meant to demonstrate the new scorpion and (in a later version?) the new tank as well.

Sorry, I wont suggest any improvements then. Then again, everything I said was bad in UT2003 (which people said i was speaking crap about) was improved or changed in UT2004. Telling people to "go back to UT" is probbley the most retarded thing anyone can say, I havent played that game in years, ....
So how would you know how UT'99 is like ?
:p
Seriously ... this is UT2k7. It's not going to be anything like the old games.
IMHO the one mistake in UT2kx is that they underestimated how players would abuse the new features and the public's unwillingness to accept a new format/style of play.
Sith happens ... UT2k7 is going to be an improvement regardless of what you might think.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
JaFO said:
In-game : because it uses the exact mechanics as UT2k7

I don't think that's what he meant by "in the game", but rather as in a map that's probably going to shipped with the game when it hits retail.

the head

Dec 3, 2005
this demo is one side-mission of a bigger CONquest/UnrealWarfare gametype its the remake of the 2k4 ece map of ONS-urban with flavor from 2k4 AS-ruindcity.