Dummy Tutorial

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Hey tarquin;

I don't suppose you could post a quick tutorial on creating custom brushes? At least gloss over the concept and some of the functions - ie, the theory behind creating vertex's and poly's (especially the poly function)

Thanks,
- Fetish

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Errr

I understand what the functions do, I just don't quite understand how it does it; ie, what the arguments are, etc.

I've been reasonably able to decipher to args; but I've got no clue how each vertex is numbered, ergo it's tough to input the correct arguments into poly3i and poly4i

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I did start writing a tute ages ago. Here's a snip.

Poly functions: It's not essential that all vertices are built before you start defining polys — just be sure that
the vertices you refer to exist. There are several flavours of this function: Poly3i builds triangles, Poly4i
quadrilaterals, and PolyBegin, Polyi and PolyEnd are used together to build polys with any number of
sides. They all take various combinations of the following parameters:

int sgn
determines which way the poly faces. This should be +1 or -1, though I suspect any value will work
and the sign will determine the result.
(what follows is the worst part of scripting a builder. You are warned that I may have got the signs
the wrong way round again!)
With sgn=1, the vertices are taken in an anti-clockwise direction when looking at the poly from the
exterior. When working out which order to take vertices, remember that Unreal uses a left-handed
co-ordinate system: looking down on the XY plane from the positive z-axis, x goes from left to right,
and y goes from bottom to top. Put another way, what I of as (0,1,0), Unreal sees as (0,-1,0). If
you're used to 3-D geometry the way it's taught in maths at school / university etc, prepare to be
thoroughly confused. As a last resort, list them in sequence, try building and if the poly is visible
from the wrong side, flip the value of sgn or re-order them.
As far as I can tell, the left-hand side of the poly's texture is lined up to the edge made by the first
two vertices in the list.
It's sometimes necessary to pass a variable or an expression here:
Example 1: if the spiral stairs are set to anticlockwise, we get a mirror image brush, so use a local
variable set to 1 or -1 depending on the value of the Anticlockwise parameter.
Example 2: brushes with a hollow option call the same function twice to build the sides. The
second call builds the inner cylinder/cone/thingy, and so the polys all need to face the other way.
Pass a value of +1 or -1 to the side builder function, which in turn passes sgn to the Poly call.
Example 3: caps for a cylinder are built with a nested Poly call. Use the variable from the control
loop, j say, to flip the cap poly. The native UEd builders use ( j = -1 , j < 2 , j+=2 ) and pass j; I
sometimes have j take 0, 1 and pass ( 2*j - 1 ) to the Poly call.
int Vertex
An integer value or expression, which specifies a vertex by build order. The first vertex you build is 0
and so on. In the examples below I'll use VertexA, VertexB etc to show different parameters of this
sort.
optional name ItemName
A variable of type name — the upshot is that it's a text string enclosed in ' rather than " and it can't be
set with an expression. For more on what it does and why the non-expression bit has driven me up
the wall, see the future development page. This parameter can be omitted.
optional PolyFlags
In a word, youch. The native sheet builder shows how to set these to produce two-sided sheet
polys but beyond that I have no idea. Omit this parameter to make regular polys; set to 0x00000108
for a two-sided sheet. Information on this would be gratefully received!

There are three different ways of defining a poly with the Poly functions:

Poly3i( sgn, VertexA , VertexB , VertexC , ItemName , PolyFlags ) ;
Poly4i( sgn, VertexA , VertexB , VertexC , VertexD , ItemName , PolyFlags ) ;
PolyBegin( sgn, ItemName , PolyFlags ) ;
Polyi( VertexA );
Polyi( VertexB );
Polyi( VertexC );
// and so on...
PolyEnd();

Poly3i and Poly4i define a 3-sided and 4-sided poly respectively, and it's these that are used the most
frequently. The others are used to define polys with a greater number of sides: PolyBegin starts a new
poly, Polyi adds a vertex to the poly's definition, and PolyEnd marks the end of a poly definition block. Note
that you can embed for loops within the PolyBegin...PolyEnd block.
I have no idea what happens if you put two PolyBegin with no PolyEnd in between, but I suspect it isn't
pretty.
Bear in mind that a poly must have at least 3 sides (in Euclidean space, that is!), and that the Unreal
engine currently has a maximum of 16 sides per poly — any larger and the poly will be split automatically;
this isn't a problem but the split lines can be non-regular and off-grid and look rather ugly.
There is also a function GetPolyCount(), which I assume returns the number of polys defined.