Physical Unreal Tournament Copies?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
I agree with Leo: UT2003 has a very good raw gameplay. I don't agree that UT2004 has no variety however, that's just ridiculous.

UT2003 is closer in feeling to UT than UT2004 IMO. I couldn't say why though. Plus I found the French UT2003 announcer 10* better than the UT2004 one. Also, MMMMMISTER CROW.

And though this is heresy, I still believe the UT2003 menu music is the best Unreal theme so far.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
@_Lynx: is that the Russian UT3 Collector's Edition I see?!
Yep. Double-DVD box sleeve, with game disc in one box and bonus content + artbook in the second. It's a also what you might call a "first print" edition - by mistake first 500 copies had DVD boxes made of blue plastic instead of black.

P.S. That's one Epic collection you have )

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
2K3 had proper boost dodging that was nerfed for 2K4. Apart from the lower camera angle and the massive pickups, oh and the much better shock rifle model there's not really much between them if you ignore the addition of vehikals.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Yep. Double-DVD box sleeve, with game disc in one box and bonus content + artbook in the second. It's a also what you might call a "first print" edition - by mistake first 500 copies had DVD boxes made of blue plastic instead of black.

Sweet. There is one for sale on Ebay right now, but it is pricey. I might have to go for it. :)

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I see one for 25$ although with 40$ delivery. Says mint condition although artbook and manual are slightly damaged due the way they were fixed inside the DVD-box. If you'd tell me a couple of years ago I could have gotten you a mint copy myself. However if you want I may keep an eye if any of the retail shops still have these.

P.S. Actually there was also a jewel box release.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I see one for 25$ although with 40$ delivery. Says mint condition although artbook and manual are slightly damaged due the way they were fixed inside the DVD-box. If you'd tell me a couple of years ago I could have gotten you a mint copy myself. However if you want I may keep an eye if any of the retail shops still have these.

P.S. Actually there was also a jewel box release.

Mate, if you would, i would be more than grateful. Anything I can do in return, just say the word. The only rarity I can offer is the Unreal 2 Special Edition from Korea; a Korea-only release, so it - like the Russian UT3 CE - is pretty hard to find.

The Ebay item seems alright, but the delivery is what gives me pause. Maybe that is the cost but also many sellers crank up the delivery prices to compensate for the lower cost of the item. Still, $65 isn't bad for such an item I suppose. As for the slight damage, a small bit of damage (creasing) to something like the manual is of no major concern; the rest of the packaging looks pretty good.

Anyhow, if you find something, please do let me know. Cheers.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Here's my pictjur:

picture.php

Ha! Great stuff!:lol:

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
The Ebay item seems alright, but the delivery is what gives me pause. Maybe that is the cost but also many sellers crank up the delivery prices to compensate for the lower cost of the item.

It's very likely because he's going to send it through EMS or something like that. Using any cheaper option is unreliable here. I see that post changes for the better, but signed for letter getting from one district of the city to another one still can sometimes take a month, and there's a running joke that if you want to hide a body so that no one could find it, you send it by Russian post.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
One good reason to have 2 copies of UT2003 is the manual: it initially came out printed in orange which was too difficult to read, so the printing was switched back to black. For a collector, the orange manual is good to have. I have 3 copies of that game: the black manual, orange and a sealed copy.

Nope, I only have two orange manuals somehow.:(

Next time I install UT2003, I might not and just see how many of the UT2003 maps run in UT2004 instead. Not sure if this is a good idea or not. What do you guys think?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I know why I have two copies of UT2003. :)

I had unpacked the disk and I put the manual down for a moment. I noticed my (then) 3-year old son pick the manual up to look at it and then he wandered off - the manual was never again seen so no CD key and I had to buy another copy. :(

Awesome!;)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Someone jumping to conclusions again. I said the new dm maps in ut2004 had no variety, I did not say the entire game, but its variety has been rather "forced" upon either way. Stop taking me out of context, I talked about DM maps and someone misquotes me as "UT2004 - no variety" bullshit and then next one believes I meant it that way.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
First, I am talking about the new maps that were not in ut2003 or bonuspacks, second, having practically same map with a different theme applied over it does not make for real variety. I'd swear most of those new dm maps use the same gimmicks all over again without being really distinguishable in the gameplay from each other. That's not how you make good maps. Even the two ut2003 demo dm maps are so different from each other in about all aspects.
I did speak to a guy who's dm maps didnt make it to retail ut2004, but he told me that their emphasis was indeed on a bland "easy to play/get" maps and that his maps sucked but not as much as some of the stuff that got shipped with the game.

Last edited:

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Off the top of my head, DM maps in UT2004 include, of course, DM-Rankin, DM-1on1-Albatross, Deck17, Rajigar, Morpheus3. None of these look feel or play the same. If you gop out of the DM field, you get CTF-MoonDragon, CTF/BR-BridgeOfFaith, or even CTF-1on1-Joust which, like it or not, is one of the most intesting CTF experiment out there.

UT2003 includes such memorable and varied stuff as Oceanic, Gael, Insidious and Leviathan.

I'm not saying the UT2004 exclusive maps are all awesome and varied. I'm not saying the UT2003 maps suck and are all the same. But you know what, UT2003 has a smaller number of maps, and quite a bit of them were just plain not good. I just mentioned Oceanic and Gael I mean Jesus fucking christ, and I say that when I myself have a personal liking for them, but wouldn't defend them against anyone because deep down, I know they suck in both visuals and gameplay. UT2004 might not be absolutely perfect in everyway, but along with all the good and bad UT2003 maps, it has such a truckload of new ones that you are bound to find variety in them, in both visuals and gameplay, and even (gasp) originality. Yes, UT2004 has things like Irondust while UT2003 has Inferno and Tokara, but you can easily find example the other way around. The UT2003 main DM map is Antalus, and I, a great fan of Dave Ewing's work, can't stand how bland it is. Rankin, though I have a deep contempt for it, I admit is more intresting to play, for many reasons.

Yet I still think CTF-Face3 was the best iteration of Face.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Deck and Morpheus are remakes, not only that but deck17 was released prior to ut2004 as ut2003 map even with jumpboots if you didn't know. And by the same author of course.
Hourences maps are a bit on the brighter side but I am not really a fan of Rankin all that much. Its quirks can get old rather fast sometimes. Many other maps, maybe unknown to you, were beta ut2003 maps which didn't make it to the game. But the rest is really bad imo. Albatros, while a playable map, it's not something really innovative either but its a decent 1 on 1 i suppose.
I like Antalus because it's mostly outdoor/cave and the layout isn't that symetric and provides for some varied fun. It doesn't have that much going on but it's certainly a variety that doesn't feel the same.
However I really dislike ut2004 dm raw gameplay, everything got nerfed and i could only enjoy it with tons of mutators, can't say the same of ut2003 dm.

As for Gael, that's a Morbias like map, right? Well, it serves its purpose well. Oceanic as a map got severaly nerfed during developement and is somewhat bland but it's still not as bad as most of these random dm maps in ut2004 that i can't even recall their name..

Last edited: