Creating game menu, just like in The Ball.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ArtiomVIP

Jan 14, 2010
Hello all, espessially creators of this game!
I'm very sorry, if I'm creating this thread in a wrong place, but I've been searching for a lot of forums and tutors and I didn't find a good solution for my problem...
I know, how to change the main menu of my game, but I don't understand, how to create an "ESC-menu", how to remove messages and pictures from UT3Demo, when player dies and reborn... I hope, you know, what I mean.
I played your demo "The Ball" - that's great and it has just the same menu system as I want to do too! With original design (of course, I'll create my own, but I want to know HOW) and ability to change some options, such as resolution.
Please, please, please, can you describe how did you do this in details??? Maybe write a tutorial... It'll be just great!
P.S. Sorry for my English, this is not my native language...

And actually I have some more questions... but they are not so important.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
We do want to help but we have very little time, we have very harsh deadlines.

All those things are in the unrealscript files. The easiest way would be to just alter the UT3 ones. The Unrealscript ones call on UIScenes in packages from the UI Folder. Change those UIScene and you should be be set. Explaining this properly would take several pages.

Our settings menu is one giant hack. The settings support in the UDK is quite bad, so we hacked around it with using console commands such as "setres 800x600". When pressing the button, it simply performs a console command.... This is not ideal, but it works until a better solution is available. Setting that up can be done solely in Kismet, don't need unrealscript for that.

riowahab

Dec 3, 2009
We do want to help but we have very little time, we have very harsh deadlines.

All those things are in the unrealscript files. The easiest way would be to just alter the UT3 ones. The Unrealscript ones call on UIScenes in packages from the UI Folder. Change those UIScene and you should be be set. Explaining this properly would take several pages.

Our settings menu is one giant hack. The settings support in the UDK is quite bad, so we hacked around it with using console commands such as "setres 800x600". When pressing the button, it simply performs a console command.... This is not ideal, but it works until a better solution is available. Setting that up can be done solely in Kismet, don't need unrealscript for that.

Can I use kismet for the UIScene?or it must be script?

There is the tutorial on "setting up a new game using UDK" (inside The Ball website). I tried to do that, it works, but it just a fly-trough on the map.
Is there any ways to make it walking?

Thank you so much for your reply.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
That tutorial will get you a third person game where you can walk. If you fly, it means it is missing the gametype or such and thereby falls back to flying. So you did something wrong.

There is kismet in a UIScene too. You got Level Kismet and UI Kismet. The tutorial briefly touches this subject, and shows how to make a button open another level. That all happens through kismet. The resolution commands would work 100% identical, except the console command is not "open nameoflevel" but "setres 800x600"

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
That tutorial will get you a third person game where you can walk. If you fly, it means it is missing the gametype or such and thereby falls back to flying. So you did something wrong.

There is kismet in a UIScene too. You got Level Kismet and UI Kismet. The tutorial briefly touches this subject, and shows how to make a button open another level. That all happens through kismet. The resolution commands would work 100% identical, except the console command is not "open nameoflevel" but "setres 800x600"