Infiltration got indirectly posted on slashdot :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/08/12/163242.shtml?tid=133&tid=153&tid=186&tid=99

cshields2 writes "A recent post to the Gentoo mirrors mailing list passes along a DMCA violation claim that one of the mirror admins recieved. Supposively their bot saw the words "Pac" and "Man" in the filename INFMapPacks123FULL-MAN.zip and assumed it was an illegal copy of PAC-MAN. The file is actually for Unreal Tournament Infiltration. This is comical in one sense, but to be read by a hosting company who does not know any better can be frightening. Has anyone else ran into this with good (or even bad) outcomes?"

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
But there is a server listed :
>Infringement Detail:
>Infringing Work: Pac Man
>Filepath: /mount/3/gentoo/distfiles/
>Filename: INFMapPacks123FULL-MAN.zip
>First Found: 8 Aug 2003 09:38:44 EDT (GMT -0400)
>Last Found: 8 Aug 2003 10:42:12 EDT (GMT -0400)
>Filesize: 161,212k
>IP Address: 12.165.49.28
>IP Port: 21
>Network: FTP
>Protocol: FTP
>

Source the DMCA-mail : http://gauley.ucs.indiana.edu/~cshields/dmca_letter

*evil thought* anyone want to put the words 'Pac Man' into the source for Windows ... and then tell that bot to search the MS-servers ... ;)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
*eh* if it were up to the companies copyrights would last for an infinite number of years ... and given that it seems to be at least 25 years that might as well be as close to infinite as they can get.
That's why copyright-laws stink. The original creators/owners rarely get to see the money that's earned using that copyright after they've died (IMHO copyright should never outlast the author's lives).

I'd thought that Pac-man was public domain by now ... at least it ought to be.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
man whenever people make maps or anything add on related can they add a file in the zip's with the name of some famous musician or something :) just out of spite against those kinda ****ty spider bots

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
A_Rimmerlister said:
I'd thought that Pac-man was public domain by now ... at least it ought to be.
It is. A while ago, various arcade companies gave their romsets to the MAME project. Namco was one of them, you should be able to find pac-man on any mame website that distributes them...

w00p

Windows at its best
Doom, DukeNukem3D, Zelda, loads of things have recently became public freeware.
I've got a CD filled with over 500 of the best arcade games. OR the PC magazine it came with obtained copyrights for everything... wich happens alot.
They oftenly distribute full versions for free! :)
Proud abonnee, I am. </Joda>
If I take the time to install, I can have a full distribution of SuSe Linux OS...
An old version of photoshop even once came along. That sucked arse. :(
Why not 3DS max next month? :D

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
neither doom nor duke are freeware. the engine is open source but the game data, sprite and levels are still copyrighted. you STILL have to buy the game

Last edited: