Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I said "fuck it" and spent the $30 on the VIP pack.
Got about 6 classes unlocked and spent the last 6 hours playing with the cash/xp booster running
So much more fun when it doesn't feel like you're just dragging along on the unlocks

Definitely worth the $30

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Try out the game, see if you like it, and buy the booster pack if you do. Less trouble than buying a $60 game that turns out not to be fun at all.

Kyllian

Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
If anyone wants to give the beta a try I have been given 3 beta keys to hand out to people
You'll have to install their HiCommand service, but it isn't too bad(and you can link it to Steam for the steam overlay)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's a service like MMOs have that does all the patching and everything. Stupid piece of crap even on MMOs if you ask me. If you ever played Global Agenda, it has the same sort of launcher thing.

Kyllian

Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
It's a service like MMOs have that does all the patching and everything. Stupid piece of crap even on MMOs if you ask me. If you ever played Global Agenda, it has the same sort of launcher thing.
Well dur, same developer
There's an issue going on with it now where you seem to lose connection or authentication after leaving it sit for extended periods, but it doesn't affect the game

Like I said, isn't too bad, tho it does like to add the "HiPatchService.exe" running
It can be set to Manual vs Automatic in Services(in XP at least) so "meh"

All in all, T:A is fun, tho you really need to get the hang of skiing to stand a chance and there's such an unholy amount of bitching over hitscan weapons(op, out of place, noobish, etc)

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tribes really should have allowed carrying different weapons, also: hitscan weapons are weak compared to the projectiles, i.e. discs and toob nades.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I only played Tribes 2 but ... evade a hitscan weapon lol. Did they add a teleportation wrist watch to the game?

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The assault rifle that people have been 'bitching' about it being 'overpowered' is so inaccurate at range it's not even funny. Most kills/deaths occur via spinfuzor. AKA the deadly disc launcher.

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
tribes player here, but my computer isn't powerful enough for t:a so i haven't played it yet. I've been following ascend since it's inception, and so far they seem to have borrowed many concepts and code ect from tribes: vengeance, logical as both are run on different versions of the unreal engine.

there was only one non-hitscan weapon in all the other tribes games, and that was the sniping weapon, and it still wasn't even hitscan in tribes: vengeance. it was a very fast moving projectile. whether these new hitscan weapons are accurate or not, they're still going to overpower the other weapons because of the main game mechanic of hand eye coordination.

two equally skilled players in the same armor types, one with a spinfusor and one with an assault rifle, the one with the assault rifle would win, because he wouldn't need to rely on splash damage or prediction, it just becomes point and click, especially because of the linear movement of players. they're meant to be easy to use for kids coming over from games like call of duty.

on top of that, there are videos on youtube of people who merely borrowed ut3 aimbot hacks and implemented them to t:a.

so i dunno how to feel about the hitscan weapons, but along with neglect towards the other classic weapons like the now impotent mortar and the spinfusor's low rate of fire, and with all that the whole stupid reload mechanic, i'm not too positive. I'm not too fond of the no choice 2 gun loadouts either. it all makes the game look like halo or enemy territory with jetpacks instead of a proper sequel to tribes 2.

but that's all i have to complain about. everything else looks excellent. skiing looks good, and the maps look marvelous.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I just got a beta key for this from a friend today, it's actually really fun, especially when playing with friends. An absolutely brilliant LAN game, especially because it'll be free to play and it's a team game with various fun modes.

The balance in weapons (hitscan vs projectile) is very much like UT, which I love. I like the upgrading system so far, you don't need to play one billion games in order to get basic upgrades, only for the huge weapon replacements that don't really matter too much.

On the subject of hitscan weapons being OP, I don't think they are. The shotgun is really good, but only on close range. Unless you've gotten people low with the spinfusor, or spot someone low, the shotgun can't really kill people on distance.
The assault rifle isn't hitscan. The projectiles fly maybe twice as fast as pulse/link gun projectiles. I haven't seen too many snipers yet, but seems like it would put you at a great disadvantage to have a massively reduced field of view while moving at 100km/h. Standing still is naturally also pretty bad.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
What the hell is up with all those 1 hit kill weapons? i don't think i've ever gotten a game any more less then i get this game. Someone is over a hill and shoots me with auto through mountain? green shots from a jugger obliverates me easily? Game used to be fun, now all of a sudden so many weird shit kills happen. :/

Kyllian

Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I've got a problem. I can't launch the game anymore.
You got the latest nVidia drivers installed?
There's a bit of a problem with people paying money to get the totally overpowered last armor thing with the guided rocket launcher and then camping at a flagspawn with it tho.
Doombie? Key to avoiding SaberLauncher is being on the ground, making the rocket smack terrain or shooting the missile down
Tho I do agree they need to tweak the thing. Make it harder to lock on players and easier to lock on vehicles
green shots from a jugger obliverates me easily?
Mortar or MIRV? Both are facking annoying

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I had to roll back my PhysX drivers. That was causing the game to crash on launch.

Also: Raider can hold a flag like it's nobody's business. You should add me on Tribes. My tribes handle is the same as my forum name.