Headshots.... is it all in our heads?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Now I don't know about anyone else, but I have already knocked heads off with the Pulsegun, the Minigun, the Flak Cannon, and even the Biorifle?

WHERE'S MY HEADSHOT?

I feel cheated every time someone's skull goes flying and I don't hear a headshot! I JUST WANT TO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE ANNOUNCER SO MUCH.....

*calms down*

Anyone else notice this? Why don't we get credited for headshotws dagnabit!!!!!!!!!11111

LittleFlower

Jun 14, 2000
NL
www.fce2.de
There are two separate issues:

1) headshots
These can only be done with the sniperrifle or the ripper. When your opponent dies, UT will check if you killed the opponent with one of these two weapons. If you did, UT will check where the last bullet/blade hit your opponent. If he was hit in the head (upper one third of the collision box), then UT will give you a headshot.

2) dying animation. when a player dies, UT will show a little animation of the person dying. Most models have multiple animations. One animation will show your opponent's head being blown off. When your opponent dies, UT will check where the last bullet/rocket/grenade/blade/etc hit him. If he was hit in the head, UT will play the animation where it looks like your opponent lost his head.

You should realize that 1) and 2) are not strictly connected. You can kill someone by shooting him in the head, but unless it was a sniperrifle or ripper, you will not get an official headshot award.

Did you play Unreal1 ? I loved it when you blew off the head of a Skaarj. He would use both hands to try and feel where is head was. Just when he was about to realize he didn't have a head anymore, he would drop dead on the floor. Lovely. :)

Oh, one more detail. When you make a headshot with sniper or ripper, if you hit your opponent in the head, he will receive much larger damage then when you hit him in the body (110 healthpoints vs 35 healthpoints or something). With all the other weapons, it doesn't matter where you hit him. Damage is the same regardless of point of impact.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
it doesnt matter if you hit them in the hit or other parts with other weapons? because I swore hitting a person in the head with any weapon does alot more damage.

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
nah, only ripper/sniper fo more damage if on head(upper 3rd), all other weapons it don't matter

I think i did notice though is if u aim for the toe, u will hit with sniper but not with enforcer

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
But what about hit-zones and armor? Don't thigh pads give more protection to lower body, while the breast-plate gives more protection to upper body? If so, shooting someone with armor in the head should result in normal damage, as opposed to reduced damage, so it is still an advantage. Only the shieldbelt provides full body protection.

I don't know how this is implemented. I've only read that the different armor types provide more protection for certain hit locations than others. Anybody know?

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
there is damage placement in ut, if you shoot some1 in the stumach, you won't c a headshot animation when he dies.
The armor does also work with damage placement, the hud shows it.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I would like to see the kinda weapon wound effects they had in soliders of fortune. :)

that is still the most violent game I have ever seen. and SoF 2 is going to more then triple the number of spots you can shoot a person, and make it FAR more bloodier.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Still though, 'tis strange how Thigh Pads give you full-body protection (which they do, I think). I would like to see 'wearable armour' someday, where you can actually see the character wearing the breastplate of armour (yes, armour ;) ). I think that would be cool.

Roll on U2 :)

Danny_Diplo

Death By Diplodocus!
Jun 11, 2001
Liverpool, UK
www.dipo.co.uk
Only the sniper rifle, ripper primary and chainsaw secondary are capable of inflicting true headshots - ie. a one hit kill when hitting the upper third of the bounding box surrounding a model. Don't confuse the animation with the hit-points.

Also, all armour protects all of the body - if you hit someone in the head who is wearing the thigh pads it won't do any more damage than hitting them in the legs.

Check out http://www.ocrana.de/utbible/ for the low down.

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
if you hit someone in the head with a enforcer it does more damage, i can take out a bot with no armor with around 3 shots if i hit thier head,otherwise it doesn't hurt them as much,im sure it will do the same with any other weapon

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Originally posted by Flare123
it doesnt matter if you hit them in the hit or other parts with other weapons? because I swore hitting a person in the head with any weapon does alot more damage.

yeah, but it isn't a guaranteed kill... so ut's not a "haedshot"

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
if you hit someone in the head with a enforcer it does more damage, i can take out a bot with no armor with around 3 shots if i hit thier head,otherwise it doesn't hurt them as much,im sure it will do the same with any other weapon
damage no matter where u hit em

T

Terminal {DTH}

yes you CAN headshot with the enforcer, been there dont that. espcially with the mutator. :D

altho my Favorite is Another mutator making crotchshots. :lol:

"Crotch Master!"
(as if i didnt do that already OUT of game in one way or another :D)

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by Terminal {DTH}

"Crotch Master!"
(as if i didnt do that already OUT of game in one way or another :D)

:con: :eek2:

So, I guess that should be called the "True Headshot" mutator?

/me has just risen the bar ;)

FrAnK CaStLe

m-m-m-monster skill!
Nov 11, 2000
sandiego ca
cosmicmonstersinc.com>
I think the reason why its not declared a headshot when you behead with anything besides sniper or ripper is because you cant get a one shot kill with any other weapon. Everything else is cumulative so its not really that one shot to the head that ends it.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
even funnier when you consider the thread author's name is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU..... :D

you can't possibly miss it :)