UT buddy system... the wait is over!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
UTbuddy version:: 1.2beta

Want to find your Unreal Tournament friends?
Want an in-game buddy browser?

...the wait is over.

For the sake of sounding too much like a commercial :p ... I originally posted a message in the forums last year to find out if people would be interested in using UTbuddy, my buddy system for UT. Well, I have decided to release it to the public and let people test it out.

Use the links below to find out more about it (screenShots, info, etc)...

::Links::
- official UTbuddy web site
- UTbuddy FAQ

::Info::
A FREELY available alternative for finding UT friends...
Before you launch Unreal Tournament, run UTbuddy...then run Unreal Tournament.
Basically, the UTbuddy client checks your UnrealTournament.log file to see if you are playing an internet game. If you are, it collects the server IP, map name, and the name you are playing as. It then sends this information to the UTbuddy server where your friends (who are also running UTbuddy) can add you to their UTbuddy list and look you up (and vise-versa). In addition, the UTbuddy client browser acts as an interface to allow you to add / remove / search for other UTbuddy users. Finally, we built an in-game UTbuddy browser to allow you to pull up your UTbuddy list and connect to games from within UT! (never cut and paste a server again!)

A link to the original post

...much thanx...

dEAdly_sIn

kIng_0f_hEAdsh0tz and Leader of Clan -=IFH=-
Jul 24, 2001
USA
www.crosswinds.net
Wow.......

Holy ****! sounds cool, but I can't use it! None of my friends use UT at all, so I'm stuck kicking their collective asses in TFC.....
Oh well.....
sIn

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
UT Player Search mod!

Answers & Comments ::

Odie|PuF:: YES! If your buddy is playing somewhere on the internet, it will let you know. Then you have the ability to connect to the server where your buddy is playing.
You can also view your buddy list and launch games from within UT using the in-game browser.

AriTheDog:: We already have the in-game browser for UT integration. I was going to make a tab for it, but I decided to put it under the "mod" menu item instead. Some folks have alot of tabs already.

Requesting Ideas and Comments about UTbuddy::
- Do you think UTbuddy sucks ass?
- Do you think UTbuddy needs a chat component?
(chat with your buddies..)
- Do you think UTbuddy could be better??
- Do you think I should shut up?

Try it and tell me:: UTbuddy@hotmail.com
http://www.phused.com/UTbuddy

...much thanx...

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
There are two dogs in this thread..... :)

now that sounds like a neat utility I would get, but 98% of my gaming is done offline. So unfortunately it would not be of much use to me.

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
Adding Buddies!

Odie-

To add/remove buddies to your list, run the windows client, (start->programs->utbuddy!->utbuddy!)

Now, for example, to add yourself to your buddy list...

- click 'configure'
- then click 'search for UTbuddies'
- In the 'Search String' space provided, type 'Odie' (with out the quotes)
- then click 'Search'
This will show you a list of all UTbuddies with the string 'Odie' in their name.

- Click 'Add to buddy list'
- Then click 'show list'

If you wanted to add Me to your buddy list...
- click 'configure'
- then click 'search for UTbuddies'
- In the 'Search String' space provided, type my UTbuddyID '8' (with out quotes)
- then next to 'search by' select 'UT buddy ID'
- then click 'Search'
This will search for me by my UTbuddy ID. When it finds me...
- Click 'Add to buddy list'
- Then click 'show list'
You will see the last game I played, the server and the player name I used. Then next time I play UT and you run UTbuddy, you will be able to see where I am playing and join my game.

--- The best thing to do is get one of your friends to also download and run UTbuddy, then you will be able to add each other to your buddy lists and locate each other when you play UT.

The 'New User / / /' stuff you saw was when you view your buddy list in the in-game browser. First add buddies to your buddy list (outlined above), then view it through the in-game browser.

Odie|BuF

May 31, 2001
independence,mo
rsuodie.homestead.com
okay yeah i added yours an it showed what youve done..the prob is my buddy (SOB)Devils Advocate is #9 user id i've added #9 to my list but wont show him he can see me in his though thats where im lost sorry..can you try to add #9 to your list an see if it works? btw im #10 or (SOB)Odie

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
Help is here! Plus other thoughts..

Odie|PuF ::

Did you get my email I sent?? Hopefully it helped out. Remeber:: you need to run the client while you play UT for it to report where you are. That way you have a choice:: should I post where I am today, or should I not.

FYI:
Other thoughts for UTbuddy...
- Really try to hack UTscript and make the whole thing an in-game mod so you don't have to run the client.

- Work with the guys at Free-Source : http://www.free-source.com/~jon/ and http://www.free-source.com/ try to put the UTbuddy client into an ActiveX control.. which mean you don't have to download and run the client.. It automatically runs when you hit a web page.

Im looking for input... Thoughts, comments, hate mail?? Talk to me..

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
ActiveX == trouble

I hear you... Others feel the same way you do regarding ActiveX.

I would like to do the whole thing in Uscript.. But the extent of my Uscript talent is in making Uwindows and the UTbuddy in-game browser (Ubrowser). Anyone with knowledge of the networking inside UT with regards to Uscript please shoot me an email:: UTbuddy@hotmail.com

So, NO ActiveX ...Hey Bill, get bent!

..much thanx..

Make Unreal Tournament BETTER! Input is good!! Please keep it coming!

. ..:: StonedMonk {CiC}
. ..:: UTbuddy@hotmail.com
. ..:: UTbuddyID: 8
. ..:: http://www.phused.com/UTbuddy
. ..::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

M4dm4N

InstaGib Man
Jul 20, 2001
Visit site
Can't use in-game browser! I get an error similar to the one in the picture. This isn't the only UMod that doesn't work.