server redirect problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spark

Oct 28, 2005
We're running the latest registered runtime (2226.20.02) and have http server redirects working (finally!). Unfortunately, it does not seem to want to work with compression.

We've stored the map, texture, and static mesh packages on an IIS web server, set the u, .usx, etc. MIME types, and set the appropriate lines in the .ini files according to the various posts you'll find if you google for "unreal server redirect".

In the following section in the ue2runtime.ini file:

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://ourserver.at.gatech.edu/
UseCompression=False

you'll notice that we've turned off compression. Our server redirection does NOT work if we turn on compression! Runs like a champ without it, but with our packages getting larger and larger this is becoming a serious problem.

If we "ucc compress" the appropriate files and put them on the server, set the "UseCompression=" line to "True", and restart the server we get

DevNet: Received invalid file request

errors in the ucc.log file. The webserver log shows that it transfers about a quarter of the map file before crapping out, and it CONSISTENTLY transfers that same amount every time. It's almost as if there's a line in an .ini file somewhere that says, "MaxFileSizeToTransferViaHTTP=65000" or something.

Can anybody confirm that they got server redirection working with compressed files?

Thanks!

spark

Oct 28, 2005
El_Muerte_[TDS] said:
Make sure the filename case stays the same

We're not using Unix, so I don't believe case matters. Regardless, the case is the same.

eblade

Jan 29, 2006
I have an engine game, that uses UE build 2226, and we've had MANY people try to get redirection to work. One person has managed to get the redirection working, but without compression. (And for any resources larger than 6mb or so, the client crashes with an infinite loop error)

It would appears that it does not deal with virtual hosts, or it cannot deal with IP names, and only IP address .. as we have been wholly unable to get it to communicate with any server that we've referred to by name ..

(ex: redirectserver=http://lotd.swgcrimesyndicate.com/ .. when i try and connect with the client, i get "Invalid URL: http://lotd.swgcrimesyndicate.com:80/INStation.dz" even though copying that URL directly to my web browser loads the file just fine ..)

I did get it working specifying a direct IP address, but that eliminates a LOT of hosting options. Sure, we can run the redirect on our cable modems, but that doesn't give us much faster downloads than just doing the channel download.

If we try the compression on the redirect, the client's log simply states "Error renaming file", and the client complains that there is a file size mismatch, and crashes. I'm not sure if there's any way to diagnose this further, or if it would somehow be possible to replace the IPDRV.DLL with one that works somehow ...

spark

Oct 28, 2005
I actually got confirmation from some developer folks that the server redirect stuff is *broken* in the runtime version. It will work with either Unix or Windows web servers for uncompressed files, but will *not* work with compressed files.

We're running gigabit ethernet here, and transferring uncompressed 100 GB texture packages goes relatively quickly. ;-)

steve

eblade

Jan 29, 2006
spark:
I don't know if maybe we might be able to help each other out here, somehow .. I've -finally- managed to get Land of the Dead (UE build 2226) to redirect .. but we're having problems on the client end when trying to use compression.

The game gives the error "Downloading package 'mapname' failed: File size mismatch" .. while the client throws in the log:

Warning: Error deleting file '../Cache0000.tmp'

I'm wondering if there's something that I might be able to hack to fix this .. is it calling ucc improperly to decompress? what is it trying to do that it fails to move this cache0000.tmp file? (which is the correct size, by the way)

I just tested, and if I rename the cache0000.tmp to cache0000.tmp.uz2 , then ucc decompress will work on it...

Last edited: