Where's the best place to snipe in Face?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
D

Das Fragmeister

After all that, it seems many of us ignored part of the purpose of your initial question...finding the snipers that are taking YOU out.

OK...here's where they're hiding:

1) I've noticed on the red side of Face, if a sniper tucks themselves in real close to the rear wall by the spawn point, they're almost impossible to see (a guess/observation: ???). I don't know why. I've noticed that on different detail settings, it occasionally exposes them more. I had a guy taking me out constantly one night using this method, and I could never see him. The only way I'd hit him is if I sniped at the very edge of the wall itself.

2) Snipers need not be visible. On the roof, you can snipe at the opposing roof while still covered entirely by shadow. To combat this (my secret weapon), fire shots at the rim of the roof, skimming the shadows, even if you don't see anyone there. (Read: headshot, headshot, headhot, rampage). You'll see shell casings of opponents trying the same thing.

3) The flames. Occasionally, enterprising snipers will stand in the flame on their tower, where people don't think to look.

***4) X-ray vision: On certain low detail settings, stepping backwards to the rear of the tower roof actually allows you to have x-ray vision and see who's hiding on the opposing roof, behind the columns or in the teleporter nook. Of course, if there is someone there, and you're standing out in the open, you're dead, if they have any skill.

5) The shadowed side of each tower. Snipers will stand in the shadowed front of each tower, mostly obscured, picking their targets carefully so their shell casings don't call attention to them.

6) The shadows of the back of the tower. LLAMA tactic: To take a sniper rifle to the shadowed rear area above the spawn-point of their opponents' tower and spawn-snipe from above. WHOLLY EVIL TACTIC. I only mention it so you know what to do if it's used against you. This is the epitome of cheapness, but if you make a point of translocating out of the spawn point, or jumping like a madman, they won't get you. Plus, they're pretty trapped when you figure it out.

Some ideas of where they're hiding....

-Scott
[MUTTS] Das

bullet2.gif

Visit the MUTTS homepage at http://members.aol.com/andrew77777

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
A few minor additions to the Face sniping saga:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>The top of your base offers the most protection / best view.
<LI>If there's enemy snipers on top of their base: crouch, make sure you can just see the ridge on the opposite base and look for flying shell. Shoot where stey originate.
<LI>There may be snipers in the flames: shoot each flame once to get rid of them.
<LI>Do a quick downward sweep: start taking out the snipers on the high levels, end with respawn snipers on ground level. Unzoom, take cover and restart (only if nessecary!)
<LI>Set your monitor brightness to max. It hurts your eyes, but enables you to see the snipers on the side of the base, hiding in the darkness.
<LI>Get the armor first, then drop back on the ramp. Staying on the ramp makes sure enemies can only get one hit, and you'll be alive to retaliate (refill your health first).
</UL>

Yeah, that's about it. :)

bullet2.gif

disgust.gif
Don't make me kick your bud...

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
Duh, Lizard, I don't understand! Do you think you could make it a little clearer.

I just love presentations with visual aids.

Seriously, Lizard is right, If your getting sniped repeatedly, chances are, there lurking on the sides of the towers.

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
A few hints here for ya.
1) The ramp on top you can creep forward just enough that your not seen, only the ejecting shells.
2) on the sides behind the raised beams(only problem limits your field of view)
3) on the torch pillar in side facing the flag (you have to be quick though)
4) on the platform where the amp is

My favorite place is on top at that location I can cover our flag carrier, delete enemy snipers, reduce the # of enemies entering our base. But the most important aspect of sniping from there is this, if a enemy gets by my sniping I can immedently(sp?) switch to the R/L transport down while loading rockets and meet them at the entrance with a full load. Then go back up and resume protecting the fort. This way you are protecting your fort and supporting your team.
I only snipe people behind the front of their fort if they are activly sniping (I can see shells flying from their gun)If they have just spawned in and running I give them to the front of their base then they are fair game.

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name VaShooter{PuF}

S

[Switch]

Wow these are som really great tricks, I gotta try some out :)

Another nasty thing to try is to stand, not in your own, but in the enemys flames on top of the tower. Nobody really looks there unless you stay for a long long time. Might be a good idea if you're attacking and waiting for the armor to reappear :)

/Switch

Feb 15, 2000
members.dencity.com
Mmm I dislike Face, namely because of the snipers, sure it takes skill not to get plugged after sniping someone a few dozen times, but its annoying, specially when LPB's use it on high pingers, its not really fun for the HPB's. My clan has a simple rule, your an LPB, you don't snipe, your an HPB go ahead, this is because LPB's can hit a target their aiming at a lot easier than an HPB can. Afterall HPB's have to compensate for their lag, which may be fairly high.

bullet2.gif

"Obire Verus Dracos" -Motto of the 152nd Imperial Dragoons

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
bluesnipespot.jpg

When I decide to snipe, I usually go there... some games I've been up there for the entire game without dying once... The shadows hide your body and gun casings pretty well, but your muzzle flash could give you away.

Otter

Feb 8, 2000
www.splatts.com
I love sniping, theres nothin lame about it, to hit someone specially on a lagged server takes a lil skill :)

i make sure i swap positions alot, never in the same place twice when the opossing team has a few snipers

my job is to cover my team going into the base for the flag and to cover them on the way out, plus keep the oposing team away from our flag, but if they get it, im behind them with a rocket launcher thats fully loaded :) KAAaaaaaabooooooom heh

bullet2.gif

[PuF]scruff
insanity drool coming to shirt on you soon!

LIMITED EDITION SIGNATURE #1
(collect them all!)

M

My_Oozing_Eye

One Key.... Keep Moving!

I head to the top of the tower creep up and clear the enemies tower of snipers...

drop of the side to a ledge...squeeze of 2-3 shots...

drop lower...squeeze off 2-3 more...

The key is to make sure you have moved b4 the victime respawns grabs a rifle and picks you off...

Pluss by the time you reach the bottom you'll need more ammo.

MYE

bullet2.gif

Winston,... 2+2=5!

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Arzenal...you were being sniped from above. A strategy most people use is to infiltrate the enemies base, fall down a couple of ledges and wait for you to spawn. Often, if you run for cover, the sniper can't see you until you stick your head around to peak at the other base. I'll wager that is what happened to you.

Now, for an awsome spot: Inside your base, the small tower with two flames on either side. Grab the sniper, rocket launcher, and Shock. Xloc up to the lower or top flames. You will have a clear view of one avenue of approach all the way up to the apex of the paths. The lower flame allows a better view, but the enemy can see you sooner. The upper flame limits your view, but the enemy doesn't see you well. Now, I don't use the sniper rifle in that spot often...instead I use the shock combo or rocket launcher. Works wonders. The best way to use this strategy is for another person to position themselves on the opposite side and both of you shock, snipe or rocket everyone approaching the base. The only draw back is if someone telepunts to the top and sneaks in through the teleporters.

Try this...nice spot IMO.

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

CAPTURE! Home of CTF map reviews, strategies and Forums.

arzenal

Why do I post here?
Apr 19, 2000
Visit site
First I would like to thank all of you for these well thought out comments. The first few posts on this topic made me feel like an idiot for even asking.

You are probably right, I bet this sniper was right above our spawn point becase I wouldn't die instantly. I would grab the closest sniper rifle and try to find out where the sniper was, then I would die.

Anyway, I am in agreement with you all. Sniping is fine as long as you help recover the flag when it is in danger

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
OMG! All these newbie Arz thread popping out of the woodwork!

It must be Chim's birthday or something.

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
wtf :confused:
i guess the first post of this thread has been deleted by someone. hmm.. who might that be :rolleyes:

FrAnK CaStLe

m-m-m-monster skill!
Nov 11, 2000
sandiego ca
cosmicmonstersinc.com&gt;
I dont know if anyone has said it already but there is a spot on face that may be used by spawn snipers. Today I was playing the ctf4 version of face, the one that has teleporters in the back of the towers that leads to two adjacent towers, and my brother pointed out a little ledge underneath the meteor. He said that he had seen someone using that to snipe respawners. Now, maybe he was smoking crack but there is a definate nub underneath the meteor. It may only be accesible on face ctf4, but if you guys are being shot at and dont know where its coming from why not look there.

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
FrAnK!!! :) Welcome to the f0rums bud.

As for this mysterious ledge..I actually found it a couple of days ago on the regular face. I was running from one of the bases up the right path with the flag backwards and as I got near the "hump" I accidently fell of the outer edge of the path. (Might have gotten knocked there by enemy fire..) Well..here I am, all prepared to go "weeeeeeeeeeee" as I plummet to my death... but there I am..just standing there, up against the asteroid on an invisible ledge.

So I think..well..I'll wait til our flag is returned then tele and drop the flag into oblivion...so I toss my tele a few feet in front of me..and instead of going into the void, it just plops down! So I run over to it and use it to explore the rest of the ledge...and it's big! And from it, you can see the enemy spawn points.

I don't know how good it would be for spawn sniping, per se...but it would definately be useful to take out all those newbies who just spawn and then stand there and snipe..of course..I don't think the sniper rifle is on that side...so maybe it's of no use at all.

Is it just me, or is Face buggy as hell?