Top 10 game franchises

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
What are you your top 10 picks? Mine are as follows with my favorite incarnation of each in parenthesis.

1.Diablo(II)
2.Zelda(OoT)
3.Unreal(UT2K4)
4.Duke Nukem(3D)
5.Quake(3)
6.Mario Kart(double dash)
7.Sacred(2)
8.Gothic(2)
9.The elder scrolls(Morrowind)
10.Warcraft(3)

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
1. Thief (Dark Project, Metal Age)
2. Unreal (Unreal)
3. Aliens Versus Predator (AvP1 for PC)
4. Rainbow Six (Rogue Spear)
5. SWAT (SWAT3)
6. Infiltration (UT Mod)
7. I.G.I (Project I.G.I, Covert Strike)
8. Tomb Raider (all the ones I played)
9. Deus Ex (1, 3)
10. A game that has yet to be made...

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I hate trying to rate games that are equally good in their own right. It's hard to quantify how much you really really enjoy the games, or how "better" one is from the other, especially from different time periods or genre. And I feel top 10 lists in anything are too restrictive.

But, I'll attempt to rate them, so the following is not necessarily the correct order. And my list is only of franchises that I have played, and all are restricted to the PC.

1. Unreal (Unreal Tournament)
2. Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas)
3. The Elder Scrolls (Can't decide between Morrowind and Skyrim)
4. Half-Life (Half-Life)
5. Deus Ex (Deus Ex)
6. Doom (Doom)
7. Fallout (Fallout 3)
8. Max Payne (Max Payne)
9. Tomb Raider (Underworld)
10. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Shadow of Chernobyl. Although Call of Pripyat was the most polished gameplay-wise, SoC had the most compelling story and atmosphere.)

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Ah yes, time for this thread to roll around again.

1. Unreal/UT
2. Descent 1/2
3. Quake
4. Painkiller (only the first, so I don't know if this really counts)
5. Forza
6. Gran Turismo
7. Call of Duty 1/2
8. Elder Scrolls
9. Doom
10. STALKER

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Ok

1. Unreal (Unreal for content, UT for the entire package)
2. Serious Sam (The Second Encounter)
3. Castlevania (SC IV)
4. IIDX (always the last iteration of it)
5. Fallout (1)
6. Guilty Gear (always the last iteration of it)
7. Deus Ex (Human Revolution)
8. System Shock (2)
9. Zone of the Enders (2)
10. Silent Hill (2)

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
How does this work? What if you didn't like a game out of the franchise? What if you only like 1 game in the franchise? How could it go under one of your favorite franchises if it includes a game you don't like?

I can't really think of many franchises where I like every game in the franchise.

I liked a ton of LoZ games, but then there's those shitty LoZ games that were on that other CD console.

Mario is probably one of the only franchises I can think of that didn't have a bad game, but for all I know it does, I haven't played them all.

Edit: Okay after reading some of the posts, I can think of some, but not many.

1. Half Life
2. Thief
3. Portal
4. Mario

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
1. UT (3)
2. Age of Empires (III)

New versions of the above two would be must-buys for me.

3. Dragon Age
4. Darksiders (II)
5. Stalker
6. Civilization (V)
7. The Witcher

Above this point new versions are very-likely-buys.

8. F1
9. Mass Effect (2, haven't gotten 3 because it's not on Steam)
10. Bioshock

I have fond memories of the Elite games, Elite and then Frontier, but they are long gone.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
In creating this list I realized I'm having to leave out a couple of individual games that would be on my Top 10 list because one game does not equal a franchise. I tried to think about it in terms of the amount of playtime I've given each as well as the truly memorable moments that come to mind.

1. Unreal
Unreal and Unreal Tournament are the two tops for me. The amount of time I've sunk into custom content alone is staggering. Both games were watershed experiences in their respective sub genres.

2. No One Lives Forever
Excellence in writing, set pieces, and gameplay. Though there are officially three in the series I recognize only the first two with those being so superior that it more than makes up for the third.

3. The Elder Scrolls
Still the king of open world action-RPGs. Immense, beautiful, and entertaining.

4. Half-Life
These games really raised the bar for singleplayer first person shooters. While I've grown to despise The Canal part of HL2, I can still power through it to soak up the immersive experience and rich world it offers.

5. Doom
Wolfenstein aside... this is why we have first person shooters. The levels are packed with secrets and I love the intense action. It's one of the first games I recall really drawing me in with its sound. There's nothing like hearing a snort or growl coming from places unseen to get your pulse pounding.

6. Mario
This is a series in which each game just seems to get better and better. The critics always say "oh more of the same" but they're wrong. I'm always amazed at how a series spanning two and a half decades with each game filled with dozens upon dozens of levels can manage to deliver new things to do and see on such a regular basis. Sure themes are revisited but there's always something that makes you say - wow that's crazy. It's just pure fun and the gameplay is always spot-on, and the difficulty ramp is just about right for nearly everyone.

7. Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander
This was the RTS series that reeled me in to the genre. It's one of those games that gives you really cool toys to play with and then just gets out of your way. There's so much custom content for the series that it boggles the mind. I can always fire up these games and play for twenty minutes... or an hour... or two.

8. Star Wars
I love the franchise, but this one gets in more on volume than overall quality. There are some real clunkers if you listed them all out. But there's a bit of brilliance sprinkled throughout as well. Standouts for me include X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, Knights of the Old Republic, Republic Commando, and even LEGO Star Wars. Add them up and that's quite a lot of great SW moments.

9. Street Fighter
Like most, the second installment really got me hooked. I recall massive events that would take place in arcades when the game was released. You could just go and watch people play for hours and it was one of the first arcade games I recall having a second monitor set atop the cabinet just for spectators. I sunk thousands of hours into the series with standouts for me being SSF2:Turbo on SNES, GBA, and 3DO. Street Fighter 4 got me back into the series and it's a game I can pick up and play at any time.

10. Serious Sam
The Second Encounter is almost worth the price of admission to the series alone. The humor, the crazy secrets, zany gameplay, and wild weapons all come together to make near FPS perfection. Plus... in how many games can you find a secret area that allows you to find a miniature movie set featuring you in the finale of the previous game? And lets you zoom in on yourself with your sniper rifle and kill yourself in the current game by killing yourself in the past? :lol: Awesomeness.

Nearly made it:
The Legend of Zelda
Castlevania
Portal
Diablo
SimCity
BioShock
Metroid
Sonic the Hedgehog
Age of Empires
Final Fantasy

Not my personal favorites, but worth mentioning:
StarCraft
The Sims
Grand Theft Auto

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
This thread brings up some interesting games (which was all part of the idea). For instance I always wanted to play the No One Lives Forever games and Thief, but the games, money, and I, never wound up in the same place at the same time.

Also with Mario I narrowed it down too my favorite Mario games series. Just saying Mario seems a tad broad. Technically that could include the original Donkey Kong game even. Which I loved true. But I couldn't stand the Mario sports games. I guess I just don't really like sports games period. I also didn't really like Super Mario Bros. 2, It was just weird and Birdo is annoying...

Though a huge star wars fan... I honestly haven't played many of the games.
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and shadows of the empire were awesome and the only ones I recall playing atm.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Forza
Civilization
Unreal
Madden Football
Trackmania
Elder Scrolls
Serious Sam
Grand Tourismo
SimCity
Rock Band (yeah, I said it)

Edit - I had to move Forza up to the top. The only reason I bought an Xbox 360 was to play Forza 2. I spent hours upon hours hot-lapping and tweaking car setups, hours creating custom paint jobs, and hours and hours racing online. One of my fondest memories of all gaming is a 20-lap race where my RX7 and a Lotus were neck and neck the entire race. Neither of us ever led by more than half a second, and he beat me by .003 seconds.

Also had to add Trackmania, as I spent countless hours making maps for the game, 3 of which are still in circulation on ladders.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Doooo it!

Thiiiiiis!

[GU]elmur_fud;2572203 said:
If I can find them for sale... though I think Thief is still on store shelves in some places. Should be cheap enough to knock them off my still need to play list... unlike skyrim which I can't justify the $60 for atm.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/thief_gold

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/thief_2_the_metal_age

Both run (or should do so) on Windows 7, only for widescreen you should install the widescreen patch (run DarkWidescreen.bat to set res and fov).

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/thief_3

The weakest in the series, but rounds up the story.

All three also available on Steam.

Can't wait for System Shock 2 on Gog.com.

Thief are the most immersive games I've ever played. It was like a trip into a strange place.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Most played games, by order of appearance in my life:

1. Commander Keen (DOS)
2. ZZT (DOS)
3. Super Mario World (SNES)
4. The Secret of Monkey Island (DOS)
5. Pokemon Blue (Gameboy/emulator)
6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 (PlayStation)
7. Nerf Arena Blast (Windows 2000)
8. Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 (Windows XP)
9. Half-Life 2 (Mac OS X)
10. Counter-Strike: Source/Global Offensive (Mac OS X)

Last edited:

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
1.Call of Duty
2. Call of Duty
3. Call of Duty
4. Call of Duty
5.Call of Duty
6. Call of Duty
7. Call of Duty
8. Call of Duty