What do You Want from BeyondUnreal?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hey folks, it's been a long time coming, but a few forum comments and my own nagging gut feeling have brought to the forefront an interesting question. What do you want from BeyondUnreal?

Our mission from the beginning was to continue covering the Unreal series first and foremost and to capitalize on the budding licensee list to keep the news fresh in between Unreal titles. Well, the licensee list kept growing but the Unreal spigot trickled uneventfully to a halt.

My questions to you are these: do want more or less Unreal Engine Licensee news? Do you want news of whatever Unreal/UT/UT2k4/UT3 projects have been released, however small? What else do you need from BeyondUnreal?

Finally, to fulfill this mission should the outcry be for more Unreal news, we'd certainly be interested in working with someone who has a finger on the pulse of whatever projects were happening out there. A simple news report at news@beyondunreal.com would be nice, but if you're interested in writing about it for the front page we'd be glad to talk with you about it.

Your feedback regarding the direction of the site is important.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I would like to see a broader spectrum of UE titles covered. Things like mmo's, non-games, etc. stuff that gets little to no coverage around here.

Maybe add a classification system with a legend on one of the sidebars for people to tell if it was an FPS, MMO, RPG, etc. Also Maybe a hot topic category for things that affect gaming as a whole like major game releases, console launches, and laws aimed at the gaming industry. Possibly even a gaming tech category for things like major hardware releases or cutting edge peripherals.

On the subject of journalism I have no experience and though I feel my grammar is above par my spelling is not. Additionally I think my writing is droll and often overly elaborate. Also my thoughts tend to wander.

I certainly could submit more stuff too news@beyondunreal.com and it wouldn't bother me in the least to actually write the articles, however due to the reason listed above it is my opinion that that would not be that desirable.

Also a system were people could submit their maps/mods/etc. for community review could give people something to do as well as provide exposure to new stuff. Say maybe with a forum for poll topics of 'should this hit the front page' threads. As many people come and skim the front page every so often but never enter the forums. The frequency of their visits increasing with the amount of news that's rolling obviously.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Interesting discussion is forthcoming, I'm sure.

For me personally I'd like to see more emphasis on the "unreal" part. Sadly the actual game discussion part of this entire site is only a small fraction when compared to the healthy and vibrant off-topic section. With the problems Unreal Admins is having lately there is a need for a solid legacy forum with news, downloads, development discussions, anticheat, etc in one spot.

Although I enjoy some of the off-topic discussions I wish there was a way to filter them from showing unless I wanted to see them. Often you have to page through a couple of screens when checking the new posts and the flood of them can become numbing when you are looking for Unreal-related things.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The inability to filter the New Posts link has long been a complaint of many people (including me).

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Switch to UDK coverage. It's the only way to stay relevant. Forget the big wig developer games, they get covered EVERYWHERE so there is no point. I'd go as far as hosting UDK mods and maps. You wouldn't have to change the name of the site either.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
By relevant I mean giving people a reason to stop by besides off topic. This site in its hey day when I was helping you guys out had tons of news coming in about UT2004 and UT3. It was the go to place to get all the info in a structured manner. If we change it to a place to find all the UDK news in a structured manner then people will start showing up. I go to one of the few colleges that is actively teaching UDK as part of the curriculum and if I spread the word to my fellow students they will flock to this place to learn and share.

I could see this site as a place come and develop some truly great games that a free to play. Why wait for Epic and others to come out with new games we actually like when we can just do it ourselves?

Also, hard work deserves compensation. Start getting paid fools. Sponsorships, relevant ads, all that fun stuff.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
I´m thankful that the unreal licensee articles have kept beyond unreal running, but I yearn for the ut2k3/4 vibrancy of the community.

I think that died a bit due to ut3, not due to the site itself (ie UT3 is long gone from my hdd, though ut2k4 still gets played every now and then).

I would definitely love to see more mod stuff... that is what attracted me as a pc gamer all those years ago to the site in the first place... seeing the works of Ed Duke Cox and Neoduck, etc.

Hmmm maybe ut3 has some cool mods that would make it worthy of being reinstalled again! I would prefer those news from you guys than from moddb or places like that!

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
I've been coming here since before it was even BU, and its cause I like the unreal engine and want to know whats going on.

Any kind of mods or releases for unreal games, news about epic, etc.

Basically what you guys have been doing lol, just not as much going on with consoles getting a lot of the games and no new unreal game to mod for. UDK is great, but it/we need a Unreal game to go along with it imo, an active community online playing that we can play stuff we make with.

Keep us updated on any Unreal engine games, support mods and UDK, and lets get a new UT game dammit!!! Or at least get 3 free with UDK.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
This is my default website, and has been for years.
I use it to stay informed about what you usually post.

I like unreal engine game´s post, any new on any unreal game, and if you want, use it to talk about udk mods or something.

Keep the good work.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I would like to see a game section for phones.
I don't know if the UDK has all the toys to make games for phones.
But it would be a great start for the kids making games, as it should only take a couple of months to make a game. Vs 2 years for a PC Mod/Game.

O.
We should have badges, lots of badges.
That way, we know were people are posting.
And, people would start looking at other sections of the forums ;)

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
I'd like to have less news about UEngine licensees, these are covered on every game sites. I mean, every 5th game is made on Unreal engine now, why should BU make emphasis on this?
I'd like to see more news about classic Unreal franchise games, especially more Unreal1 news.
It's interesting to read news about some UDK projects as well. But I'm really tired of news like "Borderlands this, Borderlands that" or the whole month full of Batman bull****.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I'd like to have less news about UEngine licensees, these are covered on every game sites. I mean, every 5th game is made on Unreal engine now, why should BU make emphasis on this?
I'd like to see more news about classic Unreal franchise games, especially more Unreal1 news.
It's interesting to read news about some UDK projects as well. But I'm really tired of news like "Borderlands this, Borderlands that" or the whole month full of Batman bull****.

Couldn't agree more with this actually.
Gone are the days where the mapping community kept the franchise alive and kicking - for me, that died years ago and I'm no longer involved in anything Unreal related.
I don't honestly think we'll see the explosion on the modding/mapping scene like we saw at the back end of the 90's - hell, a lot of us guys carved careers in the gaming industry off the back of that and that's what I miss most.
This site and a few others built a massive fan base through that alone - I think of sites like Unreal Playground, Nali City and Unreal Ops that were good barometers of what was going on - they're gone and so did my interest at that point.
I'd like to see more stuff regarding PC gaming make it's way to the front page - give old PC games a little bit more spotlight and if they're now free, get a short review up and a download link to where we can get them - chances are, most people have already tried them, but some might not have - so bring them out and let's take a look.
The other day I re-visited old classics like Quake and upgraded that using the Dark Places mod and I had a blast playing that.
There's probably tons of other stuff I've either never heard of or never got around to playing and I'd love to hear about these games.
Console stuff has it's place but I'd love to hear about more PC gaming related news personally.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
One thing I would say is that, I would LOVE to give tons more coverage to UDK projects and stuff. But if we are going to do that, we NEED help from the community. There is no possible way we could find all the interesting projects, follow them well, post content on them, etc. on our own.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I'm curious if pageviews would tell you what you want to know. How many people are really even looking at the front page versus how many skip directly into the forum? Is posted news getting the clicks to encourage more of it? My guess would be no but I'd love to be incorrect.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'm with those who would like to see more Unreal series related content. There are still lots of interesting mods under development or being released, plus there are some other news that are worth mentioning. Things like the 227 patch for Unreal, Draft League for UT, weekly games of U2XMP, Betrayal being ported to UT2004, FragBU for UT3 etc. Every game still has life in them in one way or another.

You could even make something like a weekly "week in Unreal" news post and outline the most interesting things that happened in the Unreal scene that week.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010

I completely agree. Like it has been said, there are still maps/mods being made for the older games. Some exposure by BU would get more people to take a look.

You could even make something like a weekly "week in Unreal" news post and outline the most interesting things that happened in the Unreal scene that week.

I really like this idea. It'd be great to go to one place to see many of the new projects for all of the Unreal games.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
I would like to see more news about games and mods. A lot of it seems to be about sales or deals on Steam/Impulse/D2D/whatever. Deals are great, but I'd like to see more news about mods or patches for the Unreal series. News about upcoming UDK games would be nice too.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
UDK creations for sure. :)

also, unreal related news/articles would be great : I've been on the UT forum and there's been plenty of activity with modern patches, uber high res textures and stuff. where are the news about such releases and some big fat how-to install what in which order ?

hope that it's not asking for too much.

oh and I agree with the general "no need for information about every unreal title as UE3 is used everywhere". :)