The Unreal-Gears Connection

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Unreal Tournament and Gears of War have a lot in common. If you've followed the coverage with us over the years, you've most likely put the pieces together yourself. The elusive Unreal Warfare also figures into the mix a bit. Have I got your attention?

Penny Arcade's PA Report combines a lot of previously seen development footage, some rarely seen concept art, and lots of good insider info from Epic Games' de facto historian, Jim Brown, and connects the dots between the games of that time period. (thanks shoptroll)

Check out the GDC 2002 Unreal Warfare/Tech demo, for example, and see what assets, ideas, and concepts you spot from Gears and Unreal Tournament 2003/4.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Pretty sure there's some of the UT2 junkyard level assets in that video. Goatse reference not included.

Maybe some of the city environments used in UT2004's assault mode as well?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
That was interesting read, really like articles like these.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
scrapped as in MS going for the Gears moniker and the Xbox killing of any newer PC game.
Your getting me to play out Gears-PC which I shelved playing. pretty much like your XBox ports. How really far back does epic have their material on their server? I thought a lot was trashed, well, OK, saved and used elsewhere, well like RTNP, some cut Unreal levels re-used re-hashed.

Really...looking to their next game for the U4 engine, better be PC, as the consoles are draggin..Nvidia 600 series out and won't be that long you see a 700 series...

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
Ha, I remember looking into that GDC trailer years ago for the Liandri Archives. Almost all of the assets from that video have been used in UT2003/4. I believe there were 2 or 3 static mesh packages that were shipped with UT2003/4 that had cog or locust symbols in it, including one which has all of the assets from the cave scene at the end of the trailer. I don't remember those static meshes being used in any stock UT2003/4 maps however.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It ended up in UT2004, most of these assets you talk about, including the junkyard level stuff although one similar perhaps appaered in the UT2003 bonuspack already. I looked at that kind of stuff long ago already, so basically this is not much news to me at all. Or the sniper rifle scope etc.

Edit: I don't find the article accurate on too many points, after all UT2004 Onslaught was more similar to the mod psyonix was making, although it might have had influence from Uwarfare I still believe it was more like the mod than that, even though some assets were still used for UT2004, certainly not as much as it makes it sound like imo.

Well yea looking at the concept art some of that obviously went into it. Anyway
Epic keeps everything saved on their internal servers, including each build of every engine dating back to the early days of the company.
really? I was told before that they only keep now the 2000-later stuff. If that's the case then someone lied to me obviously. (or they keep only released stuff engine sources and not the beta stuff and builds, but maybe even that...)

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
What's with these characters in the article, it shows as "I didn’t" where there's supposed to be

But yeah I remember reading that long ago. No mention of warfare there at all.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
There's no mention of Warfare because I was pointing it out in reference to ONS. It wasn't a disagreement, but just a link to info on the roots of ONS to anyone reading this thread.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
There's no mention of Warfare because I was pointing it out in reference to ONS. It wasn't a disagreement, but just a link to info on the roots of ONS to anyone reading this thread.

Yeah, I did not say it was a disagreement, but still they never mentioned they got influence from Unreal Warfare and I still don't think they didn't much, apart from slightly being influenced here and there, maybe the UT3 version is more similar to the theme overall.