The funny pictures thread (new and improved)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
[GU]elmur_fud;2559701 said:
Under capacity it is clearly labeled 1GB in the specifications... :D

Nah man:

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_3380.html

the ability to store up to 2.52 billion characters of information

1 character requires 1 byte (minimum, can be more depending on format), ergo 2.52 billion bytes. 2,520,000,000 bytes is 2.34Gb. One of the two statistics is erroneous, because it lists it as 2.52Gb in the archive on page four.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Nah man:

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_3380.html

1 character requires 1 byte (minimum, can be more depending on format), ergo 2.52 billion bytes. 2,520,000,000 bytes is 2.34Gb. One of the two statistics is erroneous, because it lists it as 2.52Gb in the archive on page four.

Bottom center, very last line on paper, says 1 GB.
20yago.jpg

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Because there isn't one.

I don't know allot about large mainframes admittedly but 5 minutes in IBM's archives revealed several other models from that era with "1GBish" HD's (such as the 3310) I see no serial number so your certainty as to it's size and origin seems a tad odd.

Though it's not that I have never seen any stupid errors at museums. This was in the American Indian exhibit in the kids hands on section at Baylor's Mayborn museum. The museum guide said it had been pulled out of the banks of the Brazzos river and was probably some sort of bowl but of an unknown use and supior craftsmanship....
358cemo.jpg

... facepalm ... If anybody here doesn't know this is an insulator off a telegraph or power line from the early 1900's.

I informed them of this info and on our next pass through it was no longer on display.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
I have a few of the blue-glass versions of these. Actually, I think I just threw them out. yes, I did know what they were the entire time. They are all over the place here at flea markets.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I have a few of the blue-glass versions of these. Actually, I think I just threw them out. yes, I did know what they were the entire time. They are all over the place here at flea markets.

Irrelevant info you may know:
If they have "Bell Telegraph company" stamped on them they are worth a little money... or if they are purple and not blue. Though I still like the blue 1's... which without the BTC stamp are only worth $.25ish

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
@ [GU]elmer_fud: I used to use one of those insulators as a candle holder, worked pretty darn well.