Improvements with UT3 ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JWC

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
What are some opinions about improvements which could be made to the next UT to make it better? Gameplay wise....I like the idea of a "harvester" type game like in Q3...although their version isn't as fun as I thought it would be. And also little things like changing the shock rifle, to cut down on the shock whores...and maybe some anti-camping measures...also maybe limiting translocator throws in CTF?

Your thoughts?

Anisotropic

Dec 18, 2000
Visit site
I agree, but there's no reason to stop there...

I mean, look at the RL. 650+ damage?! That's way overpowered. And don't get me started on the aimless, spammy flak cannon, that thing really needs to be toned down. The minigun and pulsegun are WAY too powerful in the hands of an LPB. The shieldbelt absorbs too much damage and the damage amp makes it too easy to kill. And come on, the sniper rifle does 67 damage?! 40 would be more like it, with a longer re-fire rate... sniping is just way too easy. Then there's the ripper, a weapon practically designed for spam. That's ludicrous! And the goo gun, just fill up a hallway and you escape. BAH! All skillless I say...

I propose a new gameplay mode, for the real players. Using the remaining non-lame weapons (enforcer and IH) we can finally stop all the no-skill spamming. The selection is perfectly balanced, an enforcer for long/medium range (but without the lame one-shot kills of InstaGib) and the IH for melee fighting. Although we might want to tone down the IH a bit and get rid of that nasty jumping exploit associated with it (why hasn't Epic fixed that yet?).

/me discontinues the sarcastic tone of voice

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Ahh!! The smell of newbies in the air :) just makes you wanna chase them down a narrow corridor with that spammy flak cannon nailing their asses til they can't remember where their right arm is or their leg flew hehe either way UT is what it is so deal with it! When I bought UT I don't recall seeing Id stamped on the cover god forgive them for making quake, but when you have a team like Id that does nothing but bob for apples all day and right muck like they do well what can you expect :) But enough of that all I can tell you is learn defence man learn defence when you learn that my friend then offence will prevail.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
1. People who hate campers are the ones who fall victim to a camper.

2. People who don't like flak spam are the ones who can't figure out how to retreat.

3. People who hate damage amps are the ones who never tries to get the amp.

4. People who hate the ripper are the ones who camp in narrow corridors.

5. People who hate the Rocket Launcher are the ones who don't use a translocator correctly.

6. People who hate the shock combo are the ones who don't dodge out of the way.

7. People who hate the sniper rifle are the ones who orders everyone else to get the sniper while he gets the flag.

8. People who hate the redeemer are the ones who watch it approach and wave at it, then wonder why they got hit.

9. People who hate the goo gun are the ones sees the goo splattered a mile away and still walk forward and step on it

10. People who hate the mini gun are the ones who stand in the open and won't hide behind a wall or column.

Many reasons why people think the weapons are unbalanced, but it usually comes from people who don't use strategy.

As for anti camper enhancement, I agree with certain game types like LMS where a camper could have a disasterous advantage. However, it should be a mutator option and not hard coded into the game. Because in CTF, Assault and Domintation, there is no such thing as camping...its defense. Its kind of stupid to think otherwise, since these game types require you to DEFEND something.

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
A 'harvester' mod? What are you to do? Sow some seeds and the one with the most flowers in the end wins?

>>look at the RL. 650+ damage?! << interesing. Can I take out more than one person with the RL ?! :confused:

>>8. People who hate the redeemer are the ones who watch it approach and wave at it, then wonder why they got hit.<< hmmm... So I should stop waving at an incoming redeemer? (I usually start jumping & waving at incoming redeemers. Especially if my team has the flag and I just respawned and only have an enforcer :) ) I never wonder why I got hit, though :).

Stillborn

PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...
Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Prophetus][PuF][:

Now that was beatiful! *sob* (whiping away a tear...)

I like UT exactly the way it is! Played kwait a lot of Q3 (sorry guys...) But I always end up coming back to UT. You can't beat the gameplay, the weapons , THE PEOPLE!!! If you end up dieing all the time, well... you must be doing something wrong or maybe you just aren't that good! But don't blame the game! It's up to each and every one to figure out which weapon is good for what and when.

And this discussion about how much damage certain weapons make... I sure as hell would DIE from A sniperbullet in the chest or in the head for that matter... It gives the game more credibility and realism this way... don't you agree...?

JWC

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Hehe... well, I love UT the way it is, as well...but I wanted to hear from you guys on possible improvements. Sounds like nobody needs a new UT version, though...ever! :) I know the game is phenomenal (I play it every day, without exception), but there's always room for improvement. And yes, every spam weapon usually can be avoided, and yes, I love the weapons, but you guys are saying you never, ever want anything new with the weapons? :) C'mon... And one Q3 thing, the only advantage Q3 does have, is the speed of the rockets. It sucks that they are singular, but damn they move quick (kind of like a rocket ;) and even though you can't fire off 5 at once or anything, you can fire about 3 singles in the time it takes to fire one in UT. I would like to see Rocket speed increased ever-so-slightly in the next incarnation of UT... :p

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
i'd really like to see remote-detonation weapons for tactical play, like pipe bombs or mines of some kind, perhaps only in certain gametypes if there is some fear of these. IN GAME VOICE COMM!!

to enhance clan gaming, i'd love to see somewhere in there the option to outfit charactes with all kinds of nifty gadgets, weapons and armour prior to a match and have only ammo for selected weapons spawn in game: i think this would increase strategic play in team gaming, have one guy jack up his speed but lower his health or strength so he can only use light weapons or armour, etc etc.. and bigger maps. I guess unreal warfare is supposed to be a 'tribes'-esque take on UTand that gets me all funny inside just thinking about it :), mass team gaming awww yeah ....

also, add the 'dominator' mod to the regular lineup. it will attract CTFers as well as dom players i'm sure.. grab a flag you need to turn the cps your color, it's like a series of high speed totally intense flag runs! wild..

fix individual scoring!!! reward teamplay!!! there is a mod out that awards bonus points for 'defending the flag carrier' for example, and it's a great idea. for domination, make the cps stay a player's until turned by the enemy or until the player moves a certain distance away instead of being able to tag a cp at any time regardless of color to get the points... and make fraggin near a cp that isn't yours count extra for teamwork!

the biggest thing though is practice support. I want to be able to record actions in game and have a bot perform them; in short, to program 'scenarios', save them and run them back for practices. Then you can 'teach' your bots new tricks too so they use them when you are playing against them. overhead map views, and MUCH BETTER match tracking and analysis!!! for instance; how cool would it be to be able to see all your flag runs drawn out on an overhead map view, complete with where you died and how? how many points from a control point went to your team, anyway? how about sketching plays out on the actual map? things like this could really enhance the level of clan gaming... w00t.... imo..

hell, while i'm dreaming, how cool would it be to have preprogammed 'voice chunks', say, all common syllables, then layer the voice effects over it to get robot voices, male and female voices, etc etc... and allow you to construct your own voice messages? since all the components would be on board there would be very little bandwidth usage relative to voice comm and no download time either. perhaps something like the game commander could be used to actually speak but instead of streaming your audio online it just sends instructions for the game to say the stream of syllables that matches your voice?

how about a splitter to use two enhanced mice, one to control your view and one to control your weapons? or allow you to weild two one handed weapons and aim at separate enemies? and more one handed weapons would be cool too, so you could, say, toss grenades with one hand while plugging away with your machine pistol in ther other...

obviously some of these are more likely than others... just tossing out some ideas.

Morbo

The Unsure Alien
Jan 7, 2001
A House... duh.
Visit site
Prophetus, you sound like Sun Tzu in his book The Art Of War. He said:
"He who is intent on dying can be murdered."

"He who is intent on living can be captured"

"He who is quick to anger can be insulted"

"He who is self-conscious can be humiliated."

"He who is compassionate can be troubled."

Um Yes.

Merlin|BuF

Magically Delicious
Nov 3, 2000
Edmonton Alberta CANADA!
Visit site
rhakka

I think all of the stuff you said would be sweet in Unreal Warfare. that dom/ctf GT sounds like a f0cking intense game the cap limits would be at like 2 or 3 and that would be hard from what the game sounds like now. :D

as for anti camping you would have to split up those because in CTF and dom and AS camping is important and nessary.(just seconding your point I know thats excatly what you said in fact its almost a quote)

Y

Yellow5

/rant on

grrrr.. Unreal Warfare is not the next 'UT' title and I curse the person that started that rumor.

Next up is Unreal 2, then we'll see the next game from Epic (and it's not named Unreal Warfare!)

/rant off

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
UT ROX (as in ROCKS!!)

Wouldn't change a thing in UT. Well, I'd make FACE a little less spawn-sniper friendly (but Face-SE fixes that).
Ideas for UT3??? Scrap all the weapons and create brand new ones. Please EPIC, don't go id's route and rehash the same weapons, version after version after version.

FrAnK CaStLe

m-m-m-monster skill!
Nov 11, 2000
sandiego ca
cosmicmonstersinc.com&gt;
theres so many mods for UT you can practically have an entirely different game. And as for toning down weapon damage...you can do this with classic mode but as I dont see any servers doing this you can see what the majority of players want, realistic damage.

All I ask in the next unreal is for a revamped and superior engine. Something like serious sam that can hold a bunch of players on one screen without getting lagged out, facial expressions, the two hand capability would be cool. And I dont care about hardware limitations, just make it top notch.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Although I love the Art of War, I wasn't thinking of that when I wrote my previous post:). I was thinking of myself, because I used to be one of those people who complained.

It wasn't until I started to focus on strategy with a dash of fun that I discovered the weapons were balanced. I ALWAYS get fragged, so I'm not some super player. I just don't complain about the weapons or how they are used.

And yes, I used to stand there looking at the redeemer with an open mouth and dumb look:).