Builds and Commit Updates

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Virtual machines - use them.

Also I hang out on a forum where there's still people clinging onto 16-bit machines running Win 3.1 at its best, but they're not bratting for UE4 to support them.

Also is it normal for two of the test maps to crash?

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Your apparent hardware setup (8 core CPU, 8GB 2400mhz DDR3, 7950GTX running a 32-bit Vista) is making even less sense to me, considering that GPU is a notebook set.

It saw use as a notebook set later in life.
Mine is 7950GTX non-OEM card it was originally a nvidia distributed benchmarking card.
It looks like this:
Pr0lfVb.jpg

Except in my PC and not bolted to a wall at a trade show.

And yes I know in the sub print on the image it also calls it a GX2 but in the nvidia control panel on my PC it says 7950GTX. Although anymore it randomly tries to apply an OEM to it.

However the 7950GTX was originally marketed as a desktop card. Without doing to much digging here is a thread about one.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/nvidia-7950-fan-to-wide-for-asus-p5n32-se-mobo.16529/

If I recall it was quickly replaced by the 7950 GT/ GT OC and the GX2.

As I said multiple times I am looking to replace it. Though to beat it's performance capabilities (even now) I need a pretty high end card. Not a titan (not spending that kind of cash anyway) level of high end but something still generally in the $250+ range. I am however loathe to spend that much if I don't have to so I am still investigating my options.

I also mentioned that it wont play UT4 (I had to barrow my wife's 650ti) due to shader model 10 not being supported by cards prior to the geforce 400 chipset. So I have to decide on a cheaper card or put a crowbar in my wallet before UT4 alpha launch.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
That's talking specifically about the editor. The editor does require a 64-bit machine and simply can't run without it.

Game binaries should theoretically be able to be compiled for a 32-bit platform, if they aren't already by default.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/21807/can-you-run-ue4-for-windows-8-32bit.html

The package thing simply doesn't have an option for it. Maybe the underlying command line tool has an option, but seriously this game won't perform well in 32 bit. If you find a way to do it then post it. Otherwise I will ask that future posts about this subject be deleted as they are off topic.

:lol: peace man. It's not like anything ever stays on topic around here. The second somebody disagrees with something it turns into a flame war. Why do you think this place has the rep it does?

However your blackmailed info was a quick google search away.
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linking_Static_Libraries_Using_The_Build_System

IMO if it wasn't for all the attempts to lynch me over my original comment this thread would have been pretty dry and died long ago. I'm all for more 'on-topic' convo, but it just isn't happening. Hell I am like 1 of 10 people who have posted in this thread and only 1 of maybe 2 that have expressed gratitude. Sincere btw, because I don't have a UE4 lic. and I am definitely curious and want to check things out. I have dled and played each build on my wifes PC and have yet to have an issue that was something you could do anything about. I.E. no relevant info directly about the build to add. Most of these guys were just here to disagree with me by all apearances.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, packaging to Linux isn't working great yet otherwise I'd have one up already.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Something on-topic for you TWD:

Your thread died, guess it didn't get watered. :p ;)

Side note whenever I said shader model 10 I meant dx11 feature level 10. My bad. :eek:

Also can you tell yet from the builds (cause I can't) but does UT4 have UT3's file structure (were everything is spread out), is it more reminiscent of UT99/2k4 (were everything is under one root folder), or something altogether new?

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Seems to be all stuck in an uncompressed pak.

EPIC WHY YOU TAKE ID TECH2'S FILE EXTENSION :(

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
That is not exactly what I mean. So for clarification...

In Ut3 all standard custom content went to My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Custom...

In Ut2k4 it all went in the folders for that content type be it stock or custom (unless otherwise specified by the custom content of course).

Personally though I understand the concept of keeping stock vs custom separate to avoid corrupt files, I find UT3's convoluted implementation cumbersome and I hope for something more streamlined and intuitive.

So yes I can go look in the folders and see Content/Paks/bigfatpakfile.pak. But there is no way that all content would be bundled into a single pak file and almost as unlikely that it would be multiple pak files in the same root directory when launched.

My question, to be more clear, is for those that have UE4 engine access and quite simply is whether you can tell from github or even in editor how said custom content will be arranged?

@leilei I realize that was a joke but here is a (partial) list of games that use .pak files:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAK_(file_format)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's all in the pak file. There is an option to have it output the full files, but I will not distribute in that Janet as it violates the spirit of the license. If you want to see that stuff buy the engine.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
[GU]elmur_fud;2609903 said:
My question, to be more clear, is for those that have UE4 engine access and quite simply is whether you can tell from github or even in editor how said custom content will be arranged?

It's too early to say yet. It will probably just be a big pak file you drop where ever, though code based mods is a complete unknown.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
It's all in the pak file. There is an option to have it output the full files, but I will not distribute in that Janet as it violates the spirit of the license. If you want to see that stuff buy the engine.
:facepalm: Yeah... again not what I was asking at all.

It's too early to say yet. It will probably just be a big pak file you drop where ever, though code based mods is a complete unknown.

Thanks for the input;) I certainly hope not though, as I find it illogical to think that every custom player model, map, mutator, etc. will get pushed into one massive pak file. The use of pak files in and of itself is logical based on what they are wanting to do with the ability to sell your own content on their market. But the file extension aside the game will have to have some kind of organization. Though I can see where it might be to early to tell.

Apparently what I thought should be a simple question that required a simple byline answer, isn't. After all it doesn't even have its own custom content creation tools yet. So just never-mind. Back to the dust of oblivion with this thread.

Last edited: