UE1 - UT Footstep texture integration

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Which unreal 1 engine game is it that you are working with, and is the source script available for download? From what I can tell your only problem is being able to access what texture you are standing on, everything else can be handled in Uscript.

[edit] Nerf Arena?

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Cheack this: Bitmap/Texture/FootstepSound

PS: you can export script (.uc) yourself, unless you loocking for engine source - that's impossible...

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
@VendorX: the problem is not that he can't set the footstep sound for each texture, it's that there is no way to access that information via a texture reference (which texture is being stood on/walked across).

@Rajada: VendorX does have a good suggestion though. You can try to use UCC.exe to export the scripts (if they have not stripped out the text buffers containing the source) or you could download the UT Package Tool by Antonio Cordero, it may be able to decompile the source unrealscript code (it works for a bunch of UEngine games, and says that it supports Nerf Blast Arena). That way you would at least have something to go by in searching for a solution.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
...and for what he needs that information?

In event WalkTexture, texture is not an output...

In FootStepping():
if(!deathmatchgame(level.game).bGameIsAfoot)
-> return;

Rajada, you whont to expand posibility of playing footsteps or engin dont paly any at all?

Ps: that featur is not implemented in U1 and is no way to do that.

Last edited:

Rajada

Jan 21, 2008
rajada.tumblr.com
Alright, this is beyond my experience, bear with me and let me ask several questions and make terrible researched assumptions real quick... remember I can define default footsteps, but I wish to detect the texture a pawn is walking on so I can make environment based footstep sounds (IE Snow sounds different than stone when stepped on).

I'm guessing that even if I knew the source code behind WalkTexture() it would be useless because it wouldn't be encode able to UScript and probably isn't even implemented at that.

So that leaves the decal idea. NAB does not contain the decal actor class. If I just copy paste ALL the code from decal to a class in NAB that I added, it cannot compile it because it is 'not a dll' (assuming this has to do with native functions). I'm also going to guess that there is no way to adapt that code to a point where it will compile without removing its functionality that I need.

But the decal really is the only function to contain a function that returns feedback between an actor and a surface texture.

So, can I find another way to get these functions into another game?

Can the class be exported and imported or will that just result in it not being able to find functions (AttatchToSurface or whatever it is called).

Can I crack into these functions and find their base code and create a similar function in an add-on manner?

Is that even legal, or is that kind of code protected?

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Still you don't answer for my question: for what you need this informations?

Update:
Egsist many possibilities to implement sommething what is not implemented. Loock at other games code, maby you can find way out, but i've seen that code and i say 'no chance...'.

Last edited: