Question for those who speak highly inflected languages

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"That's not "modern" german, but 'dialect'"

"Modern" as in teenager language. But it's usualy only used when joking... and (then not only by teens) at least where I live :D
___
"The only German you will ever need is "Ach!" "Halt!" "Halten sie!" "Mein leben!" and "Commen sei fühlstein!""

The um... "german" in Wolfenstein was realy great! I needed to listen >10 times to the most of em to understand what they where supposed to mean :D

This one took some time for example:

Wienerschnitzel! <---- "Most unexpectet thing a boss ever said in a video game" award :p

(That's IIRC, damn a long time passed since I played Wolfenstein)

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Heh... for many years I thought the SS guys were saying something like "Haupt-Bubble" and even now I can't help but think that every time I hear the sound...

WOFFEN: Thanks for the article... I've yet to get a copy of The Languages of Pao, though, I've still got a crapload of other reading to catch up on... :hmm:

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Originally posted by FiringAimlessly

WOFFEN: Thanks for the article... I've yet to get a copy of The Languages of Pao, though, I've still got a crapload of other reading to catch up on... :hmm:

It is one of his smallest book, almost a novel. You should be able to read it fairly quickly and won't regret it. It is one of my favourite author who had an epic life in his youth (he was mining engineer, journalist, captain of a cargo vessel, etc,...) and you can feel it in his books (he describes very rich cultural backgrounds). Try to put it at the top of your priority list if you can... ;)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I was searching for Wolf3D waves to solve the riddles but I didn't have luck :(

I found this however :D (on the 3drealms page)

Translation of what the guards are saying
The meaning of the german sayings are as follows:

German
English
German
English

Actung!
Attention!
Die, Allied Schweinhund
Die, Allied pigdog!

Schutzstaffel!
Elite Guard!
Scheist!
S**t!

Mein leben
My life!
Eva, auf wiedersehen
Eva, good-bye!

Spion!
Spy!
Eine leine Amerikaner!
A little American!

Nein, so was!
Well, I never!
Donner wetter!
Good heavens!

Guten tag!
Good morning!
Kein Durchgang!
No Trespassing

Mutti!
Mommy!
Mein busse
My repentance!

Mein Gott in Himmel!
My God in Heaven!
Erlauben Sie, bitte!
Allow me, please!

Tot hund!
Dead Dog!
Roseknospe
Rosebud

But only guards stuff :hmm:

PS. Don't try to use this to learn some german words...