Mark Rein Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Computer & Video Games talks with Epic Games' Mark Rein on a number of different subjects, including retail vs electronic game distribution, hiring at Epic, Gears of War, the Unreal Engine, and of course Unreal Tournament 2007.

Unreal Tournament, the original, is still our biggest-selling game ever. Because we sell our games now in instalments, no single instalment is going to sell in the same way as a single game across multiple formats. We're really recapturing a lot of the original, with less jumping around - it went a little crazy with the double and triple jumps. It'll be toned down and a little more skill-based.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Nothing really new about UT2007, but the discussion about retail vs electronic distribution as well as the talk about the Unreal Engine and some of its titles I found interesting.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
I hope they add electronic distribution to the new UnrealEngine series of UT2007........perhaps only on the PC platform.........currently, I have HL2 installed and am pleased with its automatic updates! For a serious game modding developer this is the best way to go........

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
Wait, so is double-jumping in or out? 'Cuz I don't even care about boost-dodging I just hate double-jumps >_>

And more on-topic: Meh, not too big a fan of electronic distribution. But hey, at least it's an alternative to the vile retail situation.

UnRealist

Lame_and_inaccurate_flak_ spammer!
Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
I don't know, I'm rather sceptical about electronic distribution - you really need a fast net connection and/or wait a long time before game loads, plus it is not so obvious to have a credit card required to buy games via net (in my country it is not easy to have one)... :rolleyes: But I guess this is unavoidable... So if UT2k7 is avaliable only via net, I won't buy it... :(

As for the jumping - it would be good if they threw 'double-crap' out totally, and brought back UT99 style of movement, it would serve game's feel (more creeping in shadows and using cover, less flying around undersized maps)... :) Well... It seems I'm only wishing... :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It would have to be something vastly better than Steam to attract my attention.

Apathy

The original
Apr 16, 2004
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I hope double jumps are gone, and take the adrenaline, lockdown and shield gun with you on your way out.
A system based on what steam accomplished would be fine, I think it would certainly help with the cheating as well, but steaming pile still holds the title of being the buggiest abomination since windows 95, I hope epic puts out something better.

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
The new game modes are pretty cool. If you took Unreal 2004, put it in Unreal Engine 3, upgraded all the artwork, I'd be the first one to buy it anyway. Clearly the visual improvements are exciting. That alone justifies the purchase, but there's a whole lot more.

Tsk tsk.... Gameplay > Graphics :D

Didnt he or cliffyB say their favorite part about UT2003/4 was the bot AI also..? I could of sworn...

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
Or moddability = gameplay?
>_>

Sir_Brizz said:
It would have to be something vastly better than Steam to attract my attention.

Bloody hell, that's saying, I hope, the LEAST.

I mean, this isn't Vivendi/Valve. My god no - you can only go up.

*jabs twenty more voodoo pins into his Steam voodoo doll*

It just won't die!

UnRealist

Lame_and_inaccurate_flak_ spammer!
Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
Ah.. Okay... Stupid me... :hmm:

(Which means: I've read it, I've understood it and I promise not to spam the forums with useless posts anymore...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Starry Might

bFemale=True
I hope that game developers DON'T do Steam-like stuff, myself.

Also, I hope they DON'T crack down on used/secondhand games, either! (I'm surprised that nobody here has pointed out THAT part of the interview yet! :eek:)

If they do that kind of stuff, they'll just hurt themselves BIG TIME. :eek: