Builds and Commit Updates

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
[GU]elmur_fud;2609942 said:
I find it illogical to think that every custom player model, map, mutator, etc. will get pushed into one massive pak file.

I think you've missed the point completely. Each map and it's associated assets would be one pak file. It makes perfect sense, since what's easier to install than just dropping a single file into a directory?

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
... and what about sharing of assets between maps? They will be duplicated? If true then this 'perfect sense' for me is very fuzzy ...

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I think you've missed the point completely. Each map and it's associated assets would be one pak file. It makes perfect sense, since what's easier to install than just dropping a single file into a directory?

I didn't miss that point, because it was never said. You said:

It's too early to say yet. It will probably just be a big pak file you drop where ever, though code based mods is a complete unknown.

However your above info was already obvious.

[GU]elmur_fud;2609903 said:
So yes I can go look in the folders and see Content/Paks/bigfatpakfile.pak. But there is no way that all content would be bundled into a single pak file and almost as unlikely that it would be multiple pak files in the same root directory when launched. ...

For example; Let's say I release a version of Deck for this new game. We'll call it 'FudsDeck' for arguments sake. So I release DM-FudsDeck.pak so everyone can now play with my Deck (titled DM-FudsDeck.pak) simply by stuffing my Deck in their folder. So basically in my mind people should stuff my Deck (titled DM-FudsDeck.pak) in ../UT(or whatever it gets called)/Maps. Not C:\Users\‹user name›\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3/UTGame/Published/CustomMaps Like it was with ut3. I don't want people stuffing my Deck (titled DM-FudsDeck.pak) there. BTW if I made a Deck map my Deck (titled DM-FudsDeck.pak) would be hard, it would always be hard. Oh yeah.

One reason this interests me is the same one that you defrag your hard drive. Even if the seek time issues are in the milliseconds on modern HDDs/SSDs. Another is that it just makes more organizational sense to me.

mutators in the /Mutators folder
Player models in the /Models folder
etc.

If all assets are crammed in a single pak file all the better.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
You didn't have to do that with UT3. You also wouldn't have to do it in the new UT either. You can put the files anywhere inside the content directory.

I know there were work arounds but that is the default. Clearly I didn't like it and so I fixed mine. (I personally just cut and pasted all of mine into UT3's root directory). The system confused a lot of people though if the complaints on the UT3 forums were any indication.

It does occur to me now though, that with the content market place it may push the files to the appropriate location eliminating the need for installing it manually.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2610015 said:
I know there were work arounds but that is the default. Clearly I didn't like it and so I fixed mine. (I personally just cut and pasted all of mine into UT3's root directory). The system confused a lot of people though if the complaints on the UT3 forums were any indication.

It does occur to me now though, that with the content market place it may push the files to the appropriate location eliminating the need for installing it manually.
It really shouldn't matter. Hopefully the new UT will have a content manager and even if you download something outside of the marketplace, it will be like a "umod" or something and put the files where they need to go.

In this game, who knows what it will do. Technically, it is wrong to install user files to the Program Files directory. Simple solution: don't install there by default. :p

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Package locations are irrelevant. You can reference any asset you want.

Yes, I know but ... this will create unnecessary dependencies.
e.g.
If I use in my map two different textures from two different maps, my map will be dependent on these two huge map packages instead of two much smaller texture packages - maps, in which not necessarily I (or others ...) will want to play. Not to mention ReadMe.txt: 'Sorry buddy for inconvenient, but in order to play this map you need to download these two other maps too.'
... still fuzzy ...

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
UT3 and all previous UTs had the same issue, unless you wanted to:
a) Put every asset in it's own package.
b) Duplicate the assets.

You could try and create a dedicated asset package that you reuse.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Is there a place or procedure to report errors?

Just got around to build from the latest sources, discovered weird collision issues with projectiles.

It's easy to test: Open the default test map. Use the bio rifle, fire the pri on the wall left of the "Press Enter to spawn bot.." message. They won't splatter on the wall, but fly through it. Strangely, if you fire the alt on the same location, it sticks. It doesn't apply to the entirety of the wall, so maybe weird BSP issues, or really weird collision issue?

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Actually.. It must be the BSP. :lol: No sane level designer would have made that map; the brushes overlap like crazy. I just deleted that wall and added a new one, solved it.

(I did do a rebuild of it before I posted here.)

More likely to be a difference between the collision flags in either projectile. Would be an easy fix.

Just curious, because I barely knew how to vertex edit bruhes 5 min ago, but collision flags wouldn't be valid for parts of a single BSP brush, though, at least it's not something that would fit my mental model. (I thought it was a deeper engine issue, but the simplest answer was a BSP issue.)

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
https://mega.co.nz/#!XVwU3LjD!Z5BZJ19FD3t0oe6TVLQSzFzxZz8qhUe8nloDdjdfbz0

Looked up making a 32bit. Unreal Engine 4 simply doesn't support it.

Just to dance on this threads official grave...
https://forums.unrealtournament.com...-Playable-Build-Instructions-(new-build-9-12)

To quote flak:
We put a new build up on 9/12/2014 - now including Win32 client.

Officially I posted this comment because I am an ass. Unofficially I posted it because; Shouldn't this thread be locked or deleted as there is an official build or in the least the old build links in this thread removed?