What will the basic story be?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
See topic.

Will we continue on with the war in UT3 or are we simply gonna go with a UT99 style cut-and-dried story? You're in a big sci-fi tournament and you need to win.

I'd actually prefer if we just went with the simple Tournament campaign. It matches the theme of the game and the maps don't have to conform to some throwaway story at all.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
There probably won't be a story. It'll be an arena shooter with optional bots.
So, I'm going to assume this game will take place in its own alternate universe away from the established canon i.e. Unreal Championship 2?

Apr 11, 2006
The only established canon I recognize is that there's a tournament, some vague Blade-Runner-esque megacorps, and some mythically undefeatable robot champion.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
The story is completely irrelevant. UT99 had it about right. That's the far limit of the level of story the game needs.

Yes; It just did enough to have a background without going too far with it.
Really for me they should focus more on proper art, gameplay mechanics, mod integration than storyline.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
A simple premise is enough, like controlling characters in some far away arena from somewhere else, and then build the UI experience and effects around that. Say yes to another derez!

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
A simple premise is enough, like controlling characters in some far away arena from somewhere else, and then build the UI experience and effects around that. Say yes to another derez!

That is pretty much what League of Legends is. I do like the concept though.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Hey, I have a cool idea for a background story:
In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-barred fighting. Liandri Mining Corporation working with the NEG established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise.

The professional league was formed. A cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament.

Now it is 2341, fifty years have passed since the founding of Deathmatch. Profits from the tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the Professional League by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best.

To crush your enemies.

To win the tournament.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Nothing fancy, really. Save that for a good true singleplayer experience. UT1 did have it right. A small introduction to the arenas, a short biography and you fill in the rest.
And have fun fragging your opponents to the far corners of the solar system.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
No.

There will be no story.
Dude, assuming your going to bring over at least some of the same bots from past UT games, that alone is a story decision. For example. Laura in UT is a normal human whereas in UC2, she's a Necris.

I'm just wondering why you're so adamant about having ZERO story and ZERO explanation. A tiny little introduction would suffice even.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'm not particularly adamant, it's just there's no real reason to. Characters from previous games will inevitably return, but they're just going to be character models. With no single player game, you're looking at no story inside of the game unless there's some kind of flavour text in the character selection menu, much like Quake 3 (whose 'story' and character bios didn't exist in the game and were an afterthought in the manual).

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
Altough UT shouldn't be a plot-oriented game, it still should have some story. Not quite plot, but something like "setting" or "back story" (like others already said).

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I think it would be very interesting to see an Unreal Tournament, where the player is not just controlling one of the big names, but the player is one of the big names, kind of like how League of Legends works.

For those who don't know, in LoL, the Leage of Legends is a sort of court system between nations and countries, which settles disputes through battles, instead of waging wars. The summoners (the players) connect with champions through magic, and the magic of the fields of justice allows the champions to die without actually dying. This means that the players are part of the lore, as they are seen as summoners.

UT works pretty much the same way already, except the actual players are not part of the lore directly, but instead just choose an existing character to look like. I think there's some potential in the player actually being part of the tournament, as an actual person who fights in it.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The Firetruce was one of the best lore assets ever written. It covers the weapons not all being godlike despite technological advancements, as well as tech in the same lore lines justifying dieing and respawning.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Lord Demoin Twoweeks and his army of dudebros from the planet AwwwSmaaack has invaded the territories controlled by the NEG and begun infesting them with chest-high walls. You are recruited to help fight off the invasion and take the fight back to the enemy.