Cube size?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
I am some what new to mapping, and I made a few rooms but I wanted to find out the dimensions of the cubes, so I can keep the size the same and what not.

I know there is a way, I remember reading it a while back; but unfortunate for me, I am unable to find it again.

Please help,
Thanks
Skillz

tdwkillgasm

[[Iillegal userR]]]
Jun 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
You mean u wanna find out how big they are? the way i do it is just to work it out by counting the number of cubes in there, might be easier using a larger grid size to make it a bit simpler. Dunno if theres any easier way, hmmmm :O

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
No, that would take too long.

There has to be a way to look at the properties somewhere that will tell you the dimensions. I just do not remember where. I do remember reading it like last week sometimes, but I'd be damned if I can't find that post/site again! I thought it was posted here somewhere, but that's like finding a needle in a hay stack! (Haha, old saying...)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Well in case you don't already know this, you should always use brush sizes of multiples of powers of 2. (eg. 64, 256, 384, 768 etc.) This will make brushes line up nicely with large grid sizes like 32 and 64 and you are infinitely less likely to get errors later on in your map when you start adding more detail.
And of course, if you do this, then it tends to be really easy to tell how big a brush is, because most corridors tend to be 256 units high and so on (notice how easilly a brush that size lines up with grid lines).
If you want to create a brush that is a similar size then you can just estimate roughly how big it should be. So for example, you could make the red brush 64 units long, but if it turns out you actually want it 32 units longer to align with some other piece of geometry, then you can easilly vertex edit it to be a bit longer (96 units).
This just generally makes your map much much easier to construct and these scales are tried and tested in the UT engine (for 5-6 years!).

After a bit of experience you can just glance at a piece of geometry and tell the dimensions just by looking at it. I could tell if a corridor was 256 units high or 192 units high with my eyes closed!

Ticalion

Yeah baby, I like it RAWWW!!!
Jun 20, 2003
UK
geocities.com
If you highlight the brush, then go to properties, I think its under Scale, it tells you the maximum dimensions for that brush :)