Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
A big difference is that you won't lose all your other games when banned through UTAN. Besides, you can still play the game, only not online on UTAN servers.

As said. I was just kidding. And the above goes for Steam too AFAIK. If the company/service stops business there will be a patch that unlocks your games for offline play.

Another nice side-effect is that the original UT will be available in Germany again (after having been "indexed" before).

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
epicsteamzt2.png

Guess what I added. :shy:

U

Unregistered

GoW2 for PC

Wow, I'd really like it if they'll integrate GoW II into steam as a PC game (microsoft's xbox gold/silver money wasters per month suck)

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Wow this is great:) I used to have loads of trouble with Steam but ever since getting TF2 I never had a problem with it. I like how it gives me access to my games from everywhere, updates easily. Wouldn't mind having all my Unreal games online some place. I just like to have them on cds as well :)

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
does this mean that when I go to the USA, I don't need to bring my UT3 DVD, but I can simply downoald UT3 to enjoy it wherever I am ? :D

we'll see what changes this brings. I hope it's more than jst an additional publishing method...

MeepZero

ph34r t3h m33p
Feb 4, 2003
Ohayo
Visit site
Can you have steam manage the UT3 install if you bought a shelf copy? It would be pretty cool if I could integrate my UT3 into steam so its all one program for all my games.

NeoNight

Lurker
Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Wow thats scary just yesterday I was thinking of this happening. I was thinking I wonder if epic ever thought of putting ut on steam.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I don't see how this will make much of a difference in the end really. Sure you've opened up Steam as an available service to buy your game, but with all the bad press from within the local Unreal community such as us, and the Unreal forums themselves (deleting threads etc, is not the simple fix to things, it's shoving complaints under the rug), I don't see why PC sales will increase.

Sure, some people may buy it because it includes many other games with it, but come on, seriously? It only serves a two purposes for me.

a) It's pissed me off because I bought UT3 for $110 NZD. i.e, I bought it when it was occupying shelf space. Games eventually shift to low price games, but not within this timeframe (unless they are really awful).

b) Please, do not include this within the sales figure of UT3.

At the end of the day, I don't see why people would nibble at this other than the fact that it comes with other Unreal games. I doubt people are buying this pack for UT3 alone.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
They have got to be kidding...

First they skip the premier MP Net Service on PC for a crappy service like Gamespy and let us explain to the n00bs how they need to use patches, mods, etc. And now they sell it on steam complete with the crappy Gamespy net service in it...

God, I hope Wartourist hasn't put me on his ignore list, cause I would really like to know the logic behind this one...

EDIT:
BTW, did anyone notice that they have an ad on the front-page that does two things that have never been done before?
1. It is double the hight of the normal ads.
2. No other front-page ad but the UT3 one.

They must have good fate in this one, because that must have cost allot.

Last edited:

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
Can you have steam manage the UT3 install if you bought a shelf copy? It would be pretty cool if I could integrate my UT3 into steam so its all one program for all my games.

There's an option in Steam called "Add non-Steam game", don't know how it will work though.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
There's an option in Steam called "Add non-Steam game", don't know how it will work though.
Yeah it is possible to put all your games in steam like in X-fire with the ad non-steam game function. Time to delete X-fire from my HD I guess.

BTW, it will be shown as UT3 Editor, but you can just add it and then rename it UT3, or whatever you like (the whiners can call it EPIC Failure :))

Last edited:

Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive - President
Aug 9, 2004
www.tripwireinteractive.com
I'm glad to see Epic finally did this. I really like the idea of not having to keep my old discs around and being able to play anywhere. I wonder if UT2k4 mods will work with the Steam version. Anyway, glad to see Epic moving into the digital age :)