Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Love the expressions !

Looks like you might be battling out with some sodium vapor light in that arena. Makes for poor skin tones. Dynamic range of colors are bad, plus the flicker is another factor. You wont get the full effect of the light unless you are using 1/60 exposures. Nobody does that when shooting sports. Kicked my ass back in the day when I was shooting college basket ball.

My solution was to take 4 strobes and point them up at the ceiling at full or half power. The flash will happen but its not blinding anyone and it brings out the colors in your shots. I rocked some SB26 back in the day. At $70 a pop, how can you go wrong?

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Oh wow, that is rather unfortunate for the boats. I like the story telling in this shot. So many questions come to mind.
Actually that's normal for Dublin area. Shores are very steep so when tide is at the lowest point, water goes as far as 500m from the shore. I just happened to take this shot at this moment.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Love the expressions !

Looks like you might be battling out with some sodium vapor light in that arena. Makes for poor skin tones. Dynamic range of colors are bad, plus the flicker is another factor. You wont get the full effect of the light unless you are using 1/60 exposures. Nobody does that when shooting sports. Kicked my ass back in the day when I was shooting college basket ball.

My solution was to take 4 strobes and point them up at the ceiling at full or half power. The flash will happen but its not blinding anyone and it brings out the colors in your shots. I rocked some SB26 back in the day. At $70 a pop, how can you go wrong?
The colour cast is coming from the reflection off the yellow mats (the lights don't help but the mats are the main problem).

It's swings and roundabouts, when red and green mats are used it costs a couple of stops as a result of the lower levels of reflection.

Whilst I like the idea of the fix, all the photos were taken from the seating area - I wasn't an approved photographer. :)

On a slightly related topic, I've been thinking about buying some LED lights (for on or adjacent to the camera). There seems to be a huge variation in price without any obvious reason for that. I can accept that the cheaper lights might be more fragile (but at 30USD a pop compared to 150USD+, I can afford to replace a few before I'm behind on the deal) and possibly less flexible/eat more batteries but I don't see that I'm gaining a huge amount by going for a Manfrotto light as opposed to a no name from Amazon.

Opinions or advice?

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Been lurking here for ages. Time to contribute. Those are pictures made by my friend Tomasz, he loves paragliding, traveling and rescuing people.

8167223422_713dec3eef_b.jpg

8542746903_480ae45103_b.jpg

6254122593_4b2a3e75a0_o.jpg

5408416577_1fbfce6c46_o.jpg

6281713272_914799c149_o.jpg

6140923034_bd415ed92e_o.jpg

more of his pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/atomch/

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
My wife and I went to Karuizawa in Nagano Prefecture last weekend to see foliage color change. It was pretty cold, but great light for taking photos.

Colors And Colors by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

It seems I'm having a shutter synch issue maybe on the right side of the frame. It seems that a small area is getting under exposed and this happens with all lenses. 007Mike, any idea if this is the cause? I'm going to have to take it in to the shop and they will take 2 months for sure to fix it. I want to make sure I know what is happening here before I take it to them so I'm not wasting my time.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
A friend from S.F. was in town a few weeks ago to shoot and hang out.

Charlie Lumanlan by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

In other news; one of my photos was selected for the Flickr Blog.

In even more exciting; a major music label stole one of my photos and used it as an album cover for a single. My lawyer is trying to settle it out of court for $6000, but we will see if they pay. If not we will be going to court and the price will go up I guess. Once this is finished I will give you guys all the details.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
In even more exciting; a major music label stole one of my photos and used it as an album cover for a single. My lawyer is trying to settle it out of court for $6000, but we will see if they pay. If not we will be going to court and the price will go up I guess. Once this is finished I will give you guys all the details.

Don't forget to tell you got me curious.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Hello folks!

Sadly it seems that BU has been fading fast. Without a new Unreal game to keep the flame alive this forum will fade along with gaming fan legacy.

I have enjoyed everyone photographs in this thread and hope to stay in touch. I'm super easy to get in touch with via FB. I have already reached out to a few of you, but everyone is welcome to find and add me.

I'll check in from time to time for old time sake. :)

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Recently I stopped carrying the DSLR around, cause it's really bulky and heavy. But hey, Nokia has enabled DNG photos on my Lumia!

P.S. if you read or played Metro 2033, this is one of the stations hero had to pass in the beginning of his journey.

Attachments

• WP_20140225_00_21_41_Raw__highres_lq.jpg
    WP_20140225_00_21_41_Raw__highres_lq.jpg
    901.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Recently I stopped carrying the DSLR around, cause it's really bulky and heavy. But hey, Nokia has enabled DNG photos on my Lumia!

P.S. if you read or played Metro 2033, this is one of the stations hero had to pass in the beginning of his journey.

I love when you visit somewhere that is in a game or movie. It's fun to see how it compares, or how much they changed it.