I'm finally building an over-the-top gaming rig!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
15199940929_8932375952_c.jpg

15383511901_6cd0212abc_c.jpg

So far so good, got the fans set up. I'll have to tear it apart one more time to install the DEMCifilters but this baby's going to rock!

Yeah I'm thinking two 980 GTXs. :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Did you spend over $250 on fans alone?

I got a deal, they retail for $25-$28 but in bulk of 10 or more they were 17$ a piece. So just under $250.

Gotta have a good push-pull system, I'm going to drop 3 980GTX's, (overclocked) and an overclocked 5960x in there. And then I'm crunching nuclear magnetic resonance images for P and 13C chemical shift identification. :) Need to do some research first though to see how well those GTX's crunch numbers vs something like a Titan or such.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Is it odd that I don't give a crap about your opinion? I think it's more odd you'd go through the effort to respond to my build log. Maybe re-evaluate your actions before you type? If I could delete your post I probably would, it's interfering with my thread.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Not overkill on the fans at all. That monster will get warm inside and the radiator needs what....3 fans? Great!

At least we got you away from AMD CPUs! ;)

Great looking build mate. Can't wait to see it fully assembled. Congrats!

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Not overkill on the fans at all. That monster will get warm inside and the radiator needs what....3 fans? Great!

At least we got you away from AMD CPUs! ;)

Great looking build mate. Can't wait to see it fully assembled. Congrats!

lol, well hey that last time I was thinking of doing a build I was pretty lacking on the resources since I was footing the bill for my tuition. Makes me glad I stuck to the plan and maintained my GPA. When I was in highschool, I graduated wiht like a 2.3GPA, then I dropped out of college the first semester. UNR actually let me 'reset' my GPA there since it had been 10 years since I dropped out when I returned back in 2011/2012. I had been so broke for the past few years I was really getting down... Can't believe I've held a 3.97GPA for around 80 credits! (Chemistry and bio-organic synthesis/engineering is my major).

So in a sense I am somewhat treating myself to the computer I've always wanted, though I'm also taking into account that I'll be doing a lot of research with GCMS and NMR, which eats processing power. (Obviously I can't take a Proton or Carbon 13 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance unit home with me, but I can take the raw data home!) I want to try to figure out how well GPUs will process a thousan NMR scans as well :)

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Is it odd that I don't give a crap about your opinion? I think it's more odd you'd go through the effort to respond to my build log. Maybe re-evaluate your actions before you type? If I could delete your post I probably would, it's interfering with my thread.

I, for one, enjoy reading about your project. Don't let the "haters" get you down.

I like your case choice. It's tasteful, and not some LED festooned abortion. It looks solid and well made.

I personally wouldn't go with the over-clocking because the cost/risk/stability vs. the minimal performance benefits are not worth it for me. But, I also understand the fun in tweaking a system to its maximum.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I personally wouldn't go with the over-clocking because the cost/risk/stability vs. the minimal performance benefits are not worth it for me.
The performance gains can be fairly substantial on anything above Sandy Bridge and depending on what you're measuring. Yeah it's not going to affect your boot time very much but you'll definitely see a good increase in framerate and such. It's only when you really start pushing voltages and temperatures to the limit that it becomes risky.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Thanks guys for the support! It's definitely going to be trial and error with the sleeving of wires, but I'll try to write up a methodology to it. I know there are tutorials out there and stuff, but if anyone is interested, after I get the hang of it I'm definitely down to help out anyone who wants to give sleeving a try themselves. :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
My first set of sleeved cables. If you ever want to sleeve cables, be prepared *lion king song starts playing*.

Sleeving is a lot of work, it took me a few hours to get that set of cables sleeved. Granted this was the first time ever doing it, and I'll probably get faster as I go, it's still time-consuming and tedious, so be prepared to dedicate time to it.

Overall though it looks sexy.

15625596252_1e80b4b468_b.jpg

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Yeah, screw the haters, I like seeing you build this too!

What kind of sleeving is that? (Looks like Paracord)

Protip on sleeving; cut the sleeve to size, put it on the right place on the wire/pin and put a heatshrink around it. Then burn the heatshrink with a lighter, let it cool and remove it. The sleeve underneat will melt onto the pin. Works like a charm on most sleeves (Paracord, MDPC, Teleios)

306199_337541839634103_422005911_n.jpg

578427_337541796300774_1281776716_n.jpg

556448_368448646543422_489463627_n.jpg

Another solution is using solid wiring;

598578_371449836243303_335628245_n.jpg