UT3 DM-Under][_beta_1

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Marsfyre

Aug 13, 2005
super cheap epic games thread copy paste action go!
Name: DM-Under][_beta_1
Version: beta 1
Compatibility: UT3 (1.1)
Description: Remake of my UT2k4 DM map. Send feedback on collision, bots, weapon / pickup placement, framerate and performance, and any bugs you encounter!
Screenshot: Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
screenshot00004gr9.jpg

screenshot00010ea8.jpg

screenshot00013qp6.jpg

Credits: Myself
Download: Link to download

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
Well I dont have a PC capable of running UT3 yet but looking at those shots its looking nice... its also one of the first maps Ive seen that doesnt over do it with those stupid bright white highlights... most of the shots of maps Ive seen so far hurt my eyes (retail maps included).

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
This is an excellent remake ... man it is fantastic just like the UT2K4 version which I loved to death ... I bet if you looked up that thread on the old Atari boards you would see I was drooling over this level. And it is no less great here in UT3 ... actually it is even better ... damn this thing is amazing. I think it is a little too dark ... just a bit .. I really was having a hard time seeing my opponent to blast him ... but at the same time this map is excellent for using a flashlight mod and that would fit it perfectly. The placement of the UDamage is perfect but right now bots can't get to it ... the pathing needs to be tweaked because it isn't hard to get to ... just use the jumpboots ... I would like to see the grating removed to that there is not a dead end but at the same time this does give the map a very slight amount of risk when going for the best pickup on the level. I am very impressed by how well you ported this over and improved it even. Really a great job and I am so grateful that you decided to port one of my favorite maps ever. I really hope other map devs follow suit and remake at least one of their maps ... if for no other reason than as practice to get familiar with the editor. Anyway thanks again Mars ... I eagerly await the final. I am going to post this on the Epic boards.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I love this level so much I would actually come out of retirement and cook this for you Mars if you want me to. Thanks again for remaking it for UT3. It rocks!

Grogan

Ahh this one. I had forgotten the name and didn't recognize it from the screenshots, but I did as soon as I started playing it. I have it, "Under Final", in UT2004 and it's one that I liked. (I have to admit that I have too many maps in UT2004 though and don't get around to playing most of them very often).

Great job, I just had fun playing it. I miss the thick atmosphere of toxic gas though, which is something that really made this map stand out in ut2004. It was kind of like being under a fluid, though it didn't harm visibility.

P.S. I guess it would be better described as particulate matter, than a fluid.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
^^^ I'm gonna play the original real quick .. be back with comments soon.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Pretty good map. The map was great in 2k4, and it's pretty good in this game too. Some quick suggestions though.

The lifts are way fast. Maybe lower the speed on those who don't require a lift jump to get to anything special (u damage, invisible, etc.)

The shock rifle spawn is really dark. A spot light from above should give it abit more 'umph'.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Didn't like this one in UT2004. Was way too camp-the-top heavy and the lines are sight were far too long. You could throw rockets at any doorway down below and be guaranteed a hit -- just imagine it with UT3's faster rockets. D:

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
This map is really, really dark. Probably the darkest i've played. Other than that it's still the same ol' under.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I will never understand why people feel the need to post when they don't like a map. Its pretty evident when you don't post you are probably not crazy about it but just to tell someone that you essentially hate their map is just pointless imo.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Why do you feel the need to post when you don't agree with someone who doesn't like a map? It'd be pretty evident you probably aren't crazy about what they're saying if you don't post. :p

I hear Epic's forums are a field of daisies with no criticism allowed!

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
Why do you feel the need to post when you don't agree with someone who doesn't like a map? It'd be pretty evident you probably aren't crazy about what they're saying if you don't post. :p

I hear Epic's forums are a field of daisies with no criticism allowed!

QFT

I never thought I'd say this, but damn I love you T2a.

@Anuban:

Dude I said great mapping, just a map I do not like. Notice I mentioned DM-Rankin in the same breath. That's a nice comparison, and a compliment in and of itself. Having said that, if you can't take the heat, GTFO of the kitchen.

The map is synonymous with TAM in UT2004, so maybe it's more fair to say I hated this map due to it proliferating TAM.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Sounded more like back handed compliments imo and pure trolling ... if you say otherwise whatever ... I'm in no mood to argue about something so insignificant just like you I merely voiced my opinion about the matter. Its now over and done with and the thread can hopefully get back OT and constructive commentary can be provided.

Marsfyre

Aug 13, 2005
alright everybody, I've gone in and addressed any concerns about the map that I felt were valid.

current change list:
-brighter lighting in many areas
-fixed up the collision near the shock rifle
-adjusted the speed of some lifts
-tweaked the path network a bit in some problem areas

This is how it will remain until final release, but I'm going to give the beta a little more time (approx 1 week) before cooking and uploading the final version. I've taken up Anuban's offer to cook for ps3, so that will come along with the pc version (hopefully, if all goes well)

Please continue to play the beta and offer up any feedback you may have, I will continue to tweak the map as needed until next weekend.

-Mars

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Maybe it's because it's day - but I don't see anything on those dark screenshots. :) Under LE was TAM map for me, that's the reason why I liked it - as a challenge. You either spawned at the top and you tried to overrule those underlings down there (or you were defeated by better team :-)) - or you spawned down there and you could be patient and somehow get them from down or be aggressive and... mostly die because the team up there was in advantage.

Never played it without TAM and I don't think the layout is that good for it. It's like long snake of corridors under and around the arenish center. In the category of arena/semi-arena maps it's probably refined piece though.