Which do you think is the best UT from all series?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which do you think is the best UT game from the series?

• UT 99 / Classic

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • UT2k3 / UT2k4

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • UT 3

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Yeah I remember Unreal classic used to have an option for Deathmatch but I didn't put it in cuz the Unreal series is something else.

I have to say UT2004. UT99 was superb for its time, but once I became immersed in the unlimited universe of UT2004 and modding, it just seemed dull in comparison. UT3 just seems like a repeat of UT99 with eye-frying graphics and 'console' plastered all over. It crashes within 30 seconds of loading a map on any computer I've played it on. Not only that, but I don't get the same exhilarating feel from the mod community as I did in UT2004, maybe partly because 80% of the posts in the mod forum are 'plz cook [mod] 4 ps3 kkthxbye'.

UT1 is superb and still for nine years. UT2004 was only good with mods (never liked its vanilla gameplay and its stock vehicles), but its easy modding kept me playing it.

I rather not explain UT3 being console-fied (do not tell me how is it consolized). The only time the game crashes my computer was that I had 1 GB of ram (now I have 2 GB) and tweaked the ini settings (it seems UT3 is more on editing INIs than the past series). Before the ram update, the game did crash on DM-Heatray and large maps.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
UT1 is superb and still for nine years. UT2004 was only good with mods (never liked its vanilla gameplay and its stock vehicles), but its easy modding kept me playing it.

I rather not explain UT3 being console-fied (do not tell me how is it consolized). The only time the game crashes my computer was that I had 1 GB of ram (now I have 2 GB) and tweaked the ini settings (it seems UT3 is more on editing INIs than the past series). Before the ram update, the game did crash on DM-Heatray and large maps.

Wish I had your luck with UT3. Atm, none games can keep me entertained because I have a ton of stuff going on and am constantly depressed :(

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
hmmz i disagree with Unreal being something else, UT came forth out of unreal1 if im not mistaken =o still i was 4 yrs old when unreal1 came out.. so i cant really know :p

«:MX:»MadSniper

I didn't survive SuperCrash '08: The BuF
Jan 22, 2008
I live where I live.
Wish I had your luck with UT3. Atm, none games can keep me entertained because I have a ton of stuff going on and am constantly depressed :(

On a side note: Yo G! What's up man? Haven't heard from ya in weeks. Get better man, really. (Pop on xfire so we can talk someday)

On original topic:

UT2004 is the best game. Here's how I see it:
2004 -> 99 -> 2003 -> Halo 1 PC(blech) -> UT3

Just it's vast ability and engine power for not only it's time but today's time still makes me <3 it. It's just harder to <3 it now then it used to be, having my 8600 GTS makes it laggy and hard to play on certain maps.

Edit:
I think polls like this are going to usually depend on what game you entered the series with, since this is going to be the game that you grow to love dearly, and any game that deviates from this is going to feel like it's 'loosing what made the original so great'.

While this factoid may be true, its not the entire truth. For the record I came in with UT99, started '00 I believe.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
And some ppl think that ut2003 or ut3 is best while ut2004 is worst of the series, but I think it got something true in it and i personally find ut2004 to be worst as well, sure it's fun with some things etc, but it eats too much of space (my ut2004 is 12 GB big and I don't even have all the stuff from the editors choice edition, the bonus mods, only chaosut now and tried two other mods shortly but had to uninstall them and they didn't seem much good to me, plus some other mods downloaded from net under certain people's advice but not much of it) with loads of useless and mediocre stuff and the basic gameplay until you activate tons of muttaors suck pretty much, it's slow paced, much slow paced than ut2003 base gameplay which was more fast paced and more towards first quake style (That morbias style map gael or hows it called really rocks online in ut2003 and even offline and that is with default stuff).
Not to mention the cartoonish graphics suck and even more than it was in the end with ut2003 or during ut2003 developement, I mean ut2004 is extre,e in that, sometimes it can be good but it's certainly not IT.
I think the best is still the original UT(GOTY).

And Invasion like style games you can have even at first Unreal with certain mods downloaded and with much more fun, the invasion is only fun at ut2004 with classic ut mutator, ut2003 style, species statistics and quadjump i think, otherwise its boring as hell.
The most fun i found online to be vehicle ctf which didnt contain any maps at first too. :rolleyes:

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Good and hard question.For some weeks I got my new PC and finally I'am able to play Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears Of War,GOW is a game which doesn't need many words to describe it,it's just awesome,at the moment my favourite game forever.However,UT3,sure the game looks not that bad,more good,but I don't understand,but the gameplay isn't that good,of course,the game is faster,but the weapons are a little bit too strong and the space where you take damage by these weapons a little bit too big,too.Like GOW,the game looks good,GOW looks alittle bit better,but the gameplay of UT3 isn't that good,I prefer more the feeling of UT2004 and UT,that is better,I don't wanna say that UT3 is bad,it could be better.Anyway,I've been a fan of Unreal for a very long time,like many of you guys and I can't decide between UT and UT2004,both games are and were great,but UT2004 looks better and the gameplay is just a little bit better,so UT2004 is my favourite UT game,but it can't beat Gears Of War,UT2004 and UT FTW.:)

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
Given the choice to play any of the UT games at this point in time, I would choose UT3 9 times out of 10. However, in terms of how much enjoyment I got out of a UT game during its peak years, UT99 wins hands down. Perhaps it's the nostalgic effect, but I really miss the fun times that were had with UT99 in the pre ut2ghey3/4 era. So I voted for UT99.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Unreal1
UT2K4
Unreal Tournament
Unreal2
Unreal2 XMP
UT2K3
Unreal Tournament3
released on some console Unreal Championship something...

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Despite the fact that I was a better UT2004 player than I was a UT player...

UT was the perfect mix of gameplay, features, maps and atmosphere right out of the box.

UT2003 was a mess. UT2004 was a lot better, but was still broken at the core.

IronMan(Erie)

May 31, 2005
Erie, Pa
I'm torn between UT and UT2004 but voted for UT. I like both alot and I even like UT3. UT just plays different than the newer ones and I suspect I have nostalgic feelings for it since I played it first. I played UT first, then Unreal Gold, then UT2003 and so on. I just recieved Unreal 2 last week and I picked it up used for about $2. :rolleyes: So I cannot comment upon the gameplay of that one yet.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
I think polls like this are going to usually depend on what game you entered the series with, since this is going to be the game that you grow to love dearly, and any game that deviates from this is going to feel like it's 'loosing what made the original so great'.

For myself, and probably many of the longer-running UT fans, it's going to be the original UT by a long shot. I'm no hater of newer UT's - I play UT2k4 and UT3 a fair bit (when I can be bothered to boot into Windows), but they're all great on their own merits, not as sequels to UT.

The original UT is still my favourite FPS of all time. There has been no game to replace it, and I play it daily. No game plays like it, no game manages to capture the sheer style in my eyes, every single damn level is dear to me, it was the last FPS to have truly memorable music. Irreplaceable.

Then again, I know people who started with 2k3/4, and honestly don't see why I make such a fuss about the original UT. This is simply because everything I mentioned in the previous paragraph about the original UT, they can apply to 2k3/4. The best game is the one you hold dear.

Somebody can see through the nostalgia, though. I grew up with UT, being it my favourite and most played game from 2000. If I close my eyes I can still see Xan on his spaceship and remember the great fun I had. It definitely holds a place in my heart.

But if I look at it without nostalgia, I must say that UT3 is really better than the original UT.
UT3 just plays better. I never had so much fun in a DM, Duel, and CTF, and I played all the series...A LOT.
UT3 I like it's fast action, the powerful and balanced weapons, the bot that gives you the best challenge of the series and I like its style. The gameplay its outstanding.
And please note that I left out the vehicles (even if we should count them in, they're an addition) and of course the graphic. I'm comparing the core game only, and I say that UT3 it's just better.

I understand that you (like me) have a personal attachment to UT, but try to look at it objectively. (note that I don't play UT from years so I might mistake something).
- Do you think it's right that the shock rifle primary does 60 HP being it more of a sniper tool than the actual sniper rifle (that shoots faster)
-Have you ever killed somone in a duel with the biorifle?
-Long ray of the pulse rifle that make it useful even at medium distances, so not having to switch weapon
-Rockets so slow that make actual skill almost useless as it's more of a random bombardment (and with 6 rockets)
-Flack that do not bounce enough and it's not useful around the corners, it just leave shrapnels
-Ripper that is most useful to spam
-Enforcer (single) that easily owns RL and Flack at medium distance

Well, the following UTs have fixed all of the above.

The bots then, well, were just crap compared to the UT3 ones.
In UT CTF (and Assault) does not work offline, the bots are too easily ownd because they behave like dummies.

I know it holds a place in you heart...every gamer has a beloved game.
I'm convinced that Doom II is still the best game of all time, for example.

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
UT2k4. Has all the best Gametypes, I even like Bombing Run against Bots! :lol:

UT was great back in the day, but lacks Vehicles.

UT3, well, WTF was Epic thinking? I don't care abbout "Interface/Menu", but where are the Gametypes? Reminds me of UT2k3 when it came out and people were dissapointed. I'm also finding that the Art Direction is getting less interesting. Sure it's detailed, but I much prefer the believable to the increasingly bizzarre that it's going.

Not that it matters much, because I have never actually released a Map, but I'm seriously considering learning Hammer and Mapping for CS:S. Perhaps would never release a Map for it either, but I just find myself getting less and less interested in all things Unreal.

MrE

Jul 4, 2008
I went (and still go) for UT.

After it was released I played the hell out of it with my (in those days already old) Voodoo3 card and I'm still enjoying it most.
I have very fine memories of those days :)

Some mates keep calling me crazy because I put the GOTY box with some 3dfx cards into a showcase. But well ... ;)

Personally UT2k3 was just a graphics update until UT2k4 came out which I still enjoy when playing it from time to time.
As for UT3, well ... the art direction is great but I hardly play it.