Stand Off & FF??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
L

[L.I.F.L]JoeLos

Why not Friendly Fire(FF)in Stand Off?

After playing Inf 2.6 for the many hours this weekend in LAN I just miss out on one thing "FF".

Today you don't have to look what your firing at. If it moves shoot, friendly or not. I can't call that realistic, make it an option in v3.0.

Anyone else miss "FF" in Stand Off?

When talking about M16 i think it's much better now, easier to hit and less ammo needed.

D

DaddyBone

Well, the only problem with that is the new skins... most peeps now have a hard time judging team-mates. Friendly fire is fine when you are bright red or blue, but different shades of khaki? I think if I turned it on, I'd get tons of complaints and have to turn it back off right away...
I alway s liked it in real ctf tho... kept the idiots from firing wildly! lol...

G

I also think that FF would make it much better.
And with the new models in V3 there shouldn't be any problem.

Z

zeug

I vote for ff as well. When I first got infiltration I looked for the option in the menu like in real_ctf but no go /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I like difficult stealth games and ff just adds to the gameplay as far as I'm concerned. And with the option to turn ff on or off you get access to another style of play. When aiming you get the players name so there's a built in 'identify friend or foe' there anyways.

T

TheViper

Another vote for friendly fire in 3.0, as long as the enemy is reasonably distinquishable from one's own troops. I thought about suggesting it for 2.5 (which became 2.6), but I figured it had probably been debated to death here before my time.

I had supposed one reason FF had not been included was because it would be likely to flare some tempers when some newbie didn't know better or, worse, some jerk started doing it on purpose, as with some of those who repeatedly respawned though they darned well knew better. When those tempers flared, the obscenities flew fast and furious, and that, as I recall, is against SOB server rules. The way the game is set up now, there is not a lot to piss people way off (people taking too many weapons right off the bat is still one).

Bottom line is, FF would add to the realism, but would need easier identification of friend/foe or it would become much too commonplace. FF casualties should be some reasonably small fraction of enemy casualties.

------------------
TheViper

T

The_Mad_Monk

As an option FF is a good idea, but for online play it is a very bad idea. Here's why : Some jerk-off-looser(pardon my french) decides hes gonna have some fun by killing off all his team-mates by shooting them in the back. It will happen, trust me. It happens in every other game with FF (Rainbow 6 anyone?).
As an option I am all for it. But it would be best to keep it off for online games and the SOB server in specific.

B

Billdog

If the FF shooter gave ½ damage and the one shot gave full damage, corruption might be discouraged.
The other option is admin policing.

Once on the SOB Inf server a teammate went beserk on me, he didn't even realize that I took no damage, only the intermission broke his assault 3 minutes later.

Z

zeug

Hey, team mates going berserk is a risk you take. If you run around with a bunch of strangers carrying guns then you're asking for it. Personally I love it when someone goes rogue... so long as I'm not the first one to take a hit /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Vote FF option for v3 now!

H

Hodag

Hey, if its good enough for the US Air Force-- In all seriousness though, Yes to FF. Wasting your own people should be possible, make sure of your target and your backstop...

------------------
Adam C.
-------
Oh Christ... another Mac
fanatic...

B

Billdog

It is more like I don't get it, why? What made him fill me with phoney lead enough to kill a Titan, 1. time I saw the guy.

It would however be an easy thing to hunt him down "hey guys we got a backstabber". The backstabbing kills teamspirit, which is a important aspect of Infiltration. Don't Team damage work online?

J

J. SLICK

hey just a thought,
i was playing today and some team member who i will leave unnamed took every weapon in the area consistently for over 2 hours. you dont know how much i wish that FF was in today. He deserved a good fragging.
HAHAHAHA....
No seriously it would be cool as long as skins change in 3.0 to make them more separatable (sp?) sometimes its necesary
slick

T

TheViper

Penalizing the fragger 1 point for wounding a teammate and 2 points for every FF kill would be a big incentive to IFF (identify friend/foe) before pulling the trigger. If you send an AT4 into a group of 5 of your teammates, and you only have 2 points to start with, that would leave you with -8 points, and looking pretty incompetent.

------------------
TheViper

H

Hodag

Using the AT4 in general, usually is a pretty good sign you're incompetent...

------------------
Adam C.
-------
Oh Christ... another Mac
fanatic...

B

Billdog

Do ppl really go that hard after frags? I usually sacrifice my self in the interest of the team.

On that point stuff: Why award suicidal players? A frag gives 2p and a suicide -1p. In botmatches a FF kill also gives 2 points like a enemy frag.

D

Doccers

I dunno about AT4 users being "Incompetant", you just have to know WHEN to use it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In one of the maps (the one with the moving tank turret, can't recall it) but hitting the side of the tank with a summoned AT4 took out the folks inside it (Hey, antitank rocket, who'da thunk)

in a few other maps, if you wait, you can find 5 of the other guys in a bunch, whammo. AT4 time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kinda like in the houseassault pack, (GREAT map! GREEAAATTT map!!!!), I stand behind the garage and pitch grenades through the open window, I usuallly splatter 2 or 3 at once. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (the best I ever did was when there was a pitched battle to hold the stairs, when it went off I was shocked - 6 frags with my name on it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and a LOT of cursing!)

mind you, in a map that small the at4 is useless.
but in the larger maps, well. Here's my trick: First I use a sniper rifle (robar's my fave, better range for the scope), and pick say, a window on the other side of the map of a building that's 'owned' by the other team. then I select the AT4, and since I had the crosshairs on that window with the snipey, the AT4 crosshairs will automatically be on that window unless I'm stupid and touch the mouse. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif WHAMMO! AT4 through a window a mile away!
Fast Fraggin Fun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

or if you want to scare the bajesus out of an oponent before you launch an assault, just fire an AT4 ahead of your guys. the explosion's colors and sound will have them running for cover, while your guys run up and blast em. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's just SO not fair. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T

Talieson

There are times that I really could have used FF. Such as, when I'm playing on the SO_Teeth map and its a full server. Ever have trouble finding a gun? Ever get this --><-- close to a decent gun before some bozo teammate with a speedy fiber line darts in front of you and grabs it? Ever just want to unload your pistol ammo into his back? FF would make it SOOOOO much more gratifying! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Your millage may vary. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Tali

[This message has been edited by Talieson (edited 10-11-1999).]

L

Loki

I think that the FF is a good thing. It forces player to be sure of who they are shooting at.
Which brings me to my point why not replace the taunts with hand signals to use with your team?

B

Billdog

Can nobody figure out why suicidal players are awarded? Will losing all points by a FF kill, or changing team if below 1 point be fair?.

A set of handsign animations combined with a sort of teamtalk and a compass would be fun.
If all that saw the signs would have them on there HUD in txt, and we had a way to show relative direction (compass), could it work?

But why would we use it when we have a headset/language only our own team can use?
What would happen if you could pick up the enemys headset(post-mortem), or get a decoder?

M

MaCmAnIaK

Hmmm I think that FF will cause a lot of tension In games, only because we have those few but
significant amount of "Idiots" who make It their mission to go out of their way to aggravate other
players. For example you got your "shot you into the enemy jerks" then you have your "let me take all
the weapons and let my team be slaughtered dumb asses" moving on to the " I don't care If you were
waiting for that weapon first Im taking It anyway pathetic fools!" and last but not least there are the " I
can't play 4 shit losers that seek revenge for their own failure by spamming on the console which In
turn disable your ability to proficiently communicate with your team members. Now the only reason I
am babbling on about this Is topic Is to point out these negative elements which Im sure we've all
encountered, and I don't know about the rest of you but these people really tick me off.
I mean I know It Is just a game but Is that any justification to let these bad apple's ruin the Ifn
Community ? In conclusion I think these things should be dealt with first before bringing In something
else which will undoubtedly cause tension between team players. Other wise Ifn. might as well go
Death Match instead of team play, Which personally I would not like to see happen. either way Inf Is a
kick ass mod which I will not trade for any other.

Great job guys!
The MaCmAnIaK
{M.a.C}
-Think Different Or Don't think At All! -

------------------