OT - soon to be in OT Forum, but... J ROMERO

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I just got this from a friend:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
6/19 Romero Canned?

Buzz has been pointing to the termination of one John Romero from the offices of Ion Storm to happen as early as Monday (hey, that's today!). Eidos has not been happy with the sales nor the overall management of the development of Daikatana. Word is Eidos' head of product development, Rob Dyer, will be dropping the axe on Romero personally. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I gotta say is... YEAH BABY!!

p.s. I'll let this ride for a few replies then move it to OT. :)

------------------
|C|Rooster|PuF
Defenseman for |C|ondemned

D

DSV_Selerox[PuF]

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :) About f**king time! Eidos should have done this YEARS ago!

bullet2.gif

The new, improved Soundoff will return...

&lt;[Ci]Skumboy|PuF&gt; And the moral of the story is..... pffffffft, what moral? i just banned Blender!

&lt;DSV_Selerox[PuF]&gt; Yes I'm LordKhaine's brother (unfortunatly)
&lt;RaptoR[PuF]&gt; but you're not retarded, how can u be related?

PuF|Hertston

Dec 23, 1999
Plymouth, UK
Visit site
Hmmm...

I've played the Diakatana demo, and it's crap. Most (not all) reviews say the game is crap. Fine.

But this IS the guy who designed Doom and Quake, without which there would have been no Q2, no Q3 and no Half-Life (and probably no Unreal and UT). And if anyone has taken the trouble to read up on it, a lot of the Ion Storm problems were not Romero's fault.

Romero CAN design games, and I'd rather he stayed doing it. Diakatana may not be much good, but his next attempt ? - who knows..

bullet2.gif

PuFs in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace........go 707th !!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Hrm... well, I can't think of a good non-computer analogy, but ... if a guy burns up all a companies resources for 5 years and ends up with total shît - I'd fire him too. I don't care if he was Einstein. You can't afford to keep someone around like that that can kill your income based on his name alone.

What he's done in the past is all well and good, but that doesn't mean he has the skills to do what it takes to take Eidos/Ion Storm to the next level.

bullet2.gif

|C|Rooster|PuF
Defenseman for |C|ondemned

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 06-19-2000).]

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
BTW - Daikatana was promised for Christmas 1997. No shit.

It might have been a decent game if it was released that early. The Q2 engine is severely outdated. SoF displays some of the same weaknesses, and it's better than Daikatana. I don't care how tweaked the engine is, the game looks like crap and moves like a drunken skunk in a vat of molasses.

I don't know if those "save gems" were pulled out of the full version or not, but they should never have done something so idiotic in the first place.

If John Romero truly was such a genius, he wouldn't have tried to float this turd in the punchbowl.

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
- Freelancer and Shock Rifle whore for ]LoL[

[This message has been edited by Wolf Blackstar (edited 06-19-2000).]

D

DSV_Selerox[PuF]

He could design games. No matter ho good a guy is, if he lets a game slip for 4 years and then releases it and it STILL turns out to be a joke, questions have to be asked.

bullet2.gif

The new, improved Soundoff will return...

&lt;[Ci]Skumboy|PuF&gt; And the moral of the story is..... pffffffft, what moral? i just banned Blender!

&lt;DSV_Selerox[PuF]&gt; Yes I'm LordKhaine's brother (unfortunatly)
&lt;RaptoR[PuF]&gt; but you're not retarded, how can u be related?

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
All I gotta say is the man ruined Ion Storm by taking so long to release Daikatana. Hopefully Deus Ex can save them.

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Okay, Romero may have worked with Quake and Q][, but wtf did he persevere with that damn engine when DeusEx is based on the UT engine and will be released around the same sort of date as Daicraptana?

Loyalty to your roots is quite often poor business sense (and in this case, technologically-wise also).

bullet2.gif

"Have I shown you lately what my clan can do?
Cos I own you arse now by rights, We got family!" One Big Family - Embrace

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Romero screwed up.
True it may not have been all his fault but thats the way life is. If you're incharge and something goes wrong, which in this case went FUBAR, you gotta pay for it. Romero is still a talented designer and I admire him for wanting to do something different but he tried to do too much in this case. He should take this as an oppertunity to step back and think about what he wants to do.
---------
{SeeD}OshadowO
Here but not here.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
What goes around comes around. I hope Eidos have learnt something from the whole Daicraptana debacle too.

Now I'd like to see Romero post a public apology on PlanetDaikatana for the length of time that the game took while in development, and the same on Through The Looking Glass over the demise of LGS, because he knows what caused it.

bullet2.gif

Ah, a 1978 Chateau de Zaccix. The perfect accompaniment to any meal!

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Sof and Daikata share both the Q2 engine, sof has his flaw due to the Q2 engine, but still if daikatana looked/played more like SoF it wasn't recieved so bad.

I liked SoF signle player mode, multiplayer it was crap. Daikatana is both. I never bought the game, but i tried the demo and warez version, and glad i did caus it was if i bought the game, a complete waste om my money.

I the games world it happens often that the leading name behind a game is fired/ditched, but John Romero his name is so big that now it happens to him, the whole worlds knows.

I think John Romero learned of this blunder and he will come back with an game that we all we be amazed off.
But he will have to work hard to clear his blunder away, and because he is so known, i doubt if he gets a second try as designer

bullet2.gif

Nominated by PuF as King of LPB's
Defense and Freelance player for [Ci]

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff , home of the world-famous Llama Farm!

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Dan hit the nail on the head. He will only be able to offer his services or get headhunted.

He doesn't have enough credability to start up another business.

bullet2.gif

"Have I shown you lately what my clan can do?
Cos I own you arse now by rights, We got family!" One Big Family - Embrace

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
This has rode for more than a few replies Roost :).

In my opinion, it's the fault of whoever let the game run on for so long. Whether that was Eidos or Romero I don't know. But they should have canned it instead of pressing on and hoping that the gaming world wouldn't have moved on by the time it was released.

bullet2.gif

"I wish to make a complaint about this here parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique."
"Oh yes? What's wrong with it?"
"I'll tell you what's wrong with it my lad. It's stone dead."
-Monty Python's Flying Circus