Is it possible to open .unr files in the editor?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2008
Stupid, noobish question, I know. Sorry, but I've already spent several hours searching Google with no luck. I'm also sorry if I put this in the wrong section- I wasn't sure where this should go.

Whenever I try to open a level in the editor, it will only open .urt files. If I select "all files" and try to open a .unr file, I get an error each time.

Is it possible to open .unr files in the editor? If not, what do I need to open them? I don't mind spending money if necessary, but for obvious reasons, I can't buy one of those official licensed versions of the editor, as they cost over $1,000.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Maps from other games can only be opened with the UnrealEd of the game they were ment to be played in. "URT" are maps for the Runtime, "UNR" are maps for Unreal and UT1. You will have to open them in UT's UnrealEd.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
If you really want to port the .unr level to a .urt level through the different eds, it can be quite challenging, especially if you're using the Unreal Engine 2 Runtime. If you're using the UnrealEngine 2 runtime, you'll need top myLevel all the textures into the exact category the main texture is from in the other UnrealEd, and then in UT's UnrealEd, select all brush, do a transform>transform permanently, and copy the level into your UnrealEngine 2 runtime. You have to remake the lighting, path nodes, and all other actors.

However, if it's the UnrealEngine 1 runtime, the engine Unreal 1 and UT runs from, you can copy the custom textures, sound, and what not into the Runtime folders, but if it uses no custom stuff, then you can select all, and then copy and paste into the UnrealEngine Runtime Editor :)

But if you don't already know what version you have (if you do, ignore this section ;) ), check too see if there is a help menu active...if it is, chances it will be the UnrealEngine 2 Editor, if not, the UnrealEngine 1 editor (I've never used the UnrealEngine 1 runtime, so I'm not too sure if the help menu bar is active or not, so either way, check to see in the About section for the help, and it'll tell you. :) But if you already know this, like I said above, ignore this section. XD

Also, follow Wormbo's little quote as well, he is a wiseman in the UT scene, listen to his suggestions, he knows what he's talking about (as well as quite a few other ones, such as Hourences for one, Angel Mapper, and a bunch more that would take too long for me to type. :)

Anyway, I hope this has helped you a lot. :) If you need any more help, just search the forums and see if it's already been posted, if not, post the question.

And btw, as a final thing, welcome to BuF! Enjoy your stay here. :)

Take Care,

«:MX:»RoninMastaFX

Edit1: I didn't quite word the UnrealEngine runtime 1 stuff properly, so ti may seem like you could have either. I actually meant to tell both to you so that if you ever get the UnrealEngine 1 runtime, you'll know hat to do in this situation. :)

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for your replies everyone. Sorry for my disappearance, I was studying for my final exams, and taking care of some things in my social life which involved the school year coming to an end and all my friends leaving the school for good.

I don't think I'm up to porting .unr files so they will run in UnrealEngine 2 runtime, which is the version I have. From what I gather from your replies, that leaves me with two options:

1. I buy the video game "Unreal 1" (buying UT would cost much more money correct?)

2. I open the maps directly with "Unreal and UT1"

Two would be the preferable option to me, since I can work directly with the .unr file extension, without needing to port anything when loading and saving. Are the prices of these editors affordable for a "normal person," or are they sold at a price meant for commercial, professional video game developers?

P.S. I did a Google search before asking, as I always do. Google DID yield results, but since this involves spending money, I need some clarification. Too many times I've bought the wrong thing because I didn't fully understand my purchase.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You should be able to get Unreal 1 and UT through Unreal Anthology. If you can find the games separately, they probably don't differ in price anymore. However, I really recommend using UT over Unreal, because it has a newer UnrealEd.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
You should be able to get Unreal 1 and UT through Unreal Anthology. If you can find the games separately, they probably don't differ in price anymore. However, I really recommend using UT over Unreal, because it has a newer UnrealEd.

Wormbo, my friend, there is a hack for UnrealEd 2 to work on Unreal 1. :) I'll PM you the source whenever I get the chance (sometime today) ;)

However, it is not well known, and has a lot of glitches. So I agree with you, and Wowfunhappy, use UT's UnrealEd. Plus, you can OldSkool Unreal 1 and the RTNP package with it, so you can run UT and Unreal 1 in one game. :D

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2008
So then, buying this will give me the editor I need? I know this is the stupidest of stupid questions, but I know NOTHING about this type of video game, and don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2008
What is the difference between the two items? I ask only because there is a $7 difference between the two...

DrStyropore

Nov 19, 2011
I didn't ever manage to make example maps from Unreal Development Network to work
neither in UE2 Runtime nor UT or U1 (or by file extension changing either).But all the stuff can be learned trough UT2004 tutorials,net is flooded with that kind of stuff.You just might get a little dissapointed when you discover that some of game specific content isn't there in UE2 runtime.But everything's so similar (or same).

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
I really recommend using UT over Unreal, because it has a newer UnrealEd.
One word: WRONG!

Longer reply:
Oldunreal.com definitely supplies with their - specially latest patches 227g and 227h a newer UnrealEd version, hence the name: UnrealEd 2.1.

Even if you make not use of the - so far Unreal 227 only - engine features, however you can use the - for 227 new - editor features like LightingOnly (known from UT2003 onwoards). Several stuff also got updated, being less buggy (unrendered lights can be moved without to worry an editor crash), the bsp tree has been updated and so on...

DAMN!!!!! The thread is actually already three years old..... just seeing it now, -_-
this retarded thread bumping, ...

Last edited: