Why the low UT3 adoption?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TehLlama

Aug 12, 2009
Minnesota
UT3 is obviously not as popular as the previous games, and as someone who's main UT experience is UT3 (I've played a bit of the original as well), I'm wondering why people haven't adopted it. What makes the other games better? I experienced a few bugs pre-2.0, but since then it seems to run very smoothly. Also, Which UT game has the largest player base right now?

zunnie

Aug 13, 2009
Holland
www.mp-servers.com
I think the way custom content is handled in UT3 is just plain stupid.
What is up with the download cache folder lol... Why is it not placed directly in the targetfolder for the file. This cache thing is just stupid.

Go compare the server browser UT3 has with UT99, i much more prefer the UT99 one, why
on earth did they change it so drastically.

The friends thing in UT3 doesnt work right as far as i am aware neither.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
I think the way custom content is handled in UT3 is just plain stupid.
What is up with the download cache folder lol... Why is it not placed directly in the targetfolder for the file. This cache thing is just stupid.

Go compare the server browser UT3 has with UT99, i much more prefer the UT99 one, why
on earth did they change it so drastically.

The friends thing in UT3 doesnt work right as far as i am aware neither.

Cache folder worked exactly the same way in ut2k4, I dont see that as a valid reason. The friends thing is/was annoying but hey, most of us are on steam now anyway.

@ TehLlama- imo a combination of a whole bunch of minor or percieved faults such as the above, along with it simply not being exactly the same game as ut/ut2k4 (delete as appropriate) with better graphics, making people realise that all their hard-earned leet skillz are now irrelevant and leading to massive amounts of BAWW.

In before the lock I guess :D

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
UT3 is obviously not as popular as the previous games, and as someone who's main UT experience is UT3 (I've played a bit of the original as well), I'm wondering why people haven't adopted it. What makes the other games better? I experienced a few bugs pre-2.0, but since then it seems to run very smoothly.

- New games require up-to-date hardware.
- People get older and busier.
- Lack of time.
- Other priorities in life.

Also, Which UT game has the largest player base right now?

Probably UT1 although this year has marked a sharp decrease in the number of online players.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
UT3 is obviously not as popular as the previous games, and as someone who's main UT experience is UT3 (I've played a bit of the original as well), I'm wondering why people haven't adopted it. What makes the other games better? I experienced a few bugs pre-2.0, but since then it seems to run very smoothly. Also, Which UT game has the largest player base right now?

It feelt cobbled togheter in the last minute, wich it probably was aswell, the initial release didnt win many favors by being highly unoptimized and having a terrible interface, not to mention the horrible attempt at a singleplayer story driven DM/CTF campaign.

If you ask me Epic is done with PC gaming atleast any serious atempt, theyve seen the dollar signs on the console market with a fresh franchise GoW, unlike Unreal wich has had a couple of questionable releases under its belt and slight alienated fan base.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
People play UT3, they just do it offline.

One of the great things and problems with UT3 is the bots. Since they're challenging enough for most people, many people don't bother playing online since bots don't ****-talk.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Well, two things bothered me enough to bring the hammer and some nails:

1. The GUI design and chat system bothered me a lot. Talk about ultimate failure in game interface design. I was really at a loss for words regarding the crappy interface experience they had settled on. Also, my ancient Amiga 1200 with a 14 MHz CPU could do the menu system more efficiently (yes, the Amigas have a coprocessor for graphics, but it's basic).--The chat experience had to be the pinnacle of crap in all of this. Still can't fathom how much the GUI experience sucked. Maybe they dealt with this in later patches, but it was dead to me after the first week..

2. Bias: I was already used to the crazy gameplay in UT2004, so naturally I found UT3 limiting in movement. With every jump I could feel the player carrying the burden of a whole planet.

That's just the way it is. :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
the UI was sped up a little bit and changed to a black/grey color scheme instead of the bright red... nothing drastic but it was ain improvement.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
rejecht said:
2. Bias: I was already used to the crazy gameplay in UT2004, so naturally I found UT3 limiting in movement. With every jump I could feel the player carrying the burden of a whole planet.
This is what killed UT3 for UT2004 players. By far the jump height was the most important, others like no dodge-jump weren't a big deal. It's not about losing their competitiveness, what nobody liked was losing the sense of freedom.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Starting off with making people pay for a unfinished beta didn't help, but It's hard to point on some single detail that killed the interest for UT3. They can all be summed up in; the game wasn't fun enough.

IMO they shouldn't have made a game that was almost as good as UT(99) but instead a better version of UT2004. :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
IMO they shouldn't have made a game that was almost as good as UT(99) but instead a better version of UT2004. :p

They tried with UT2007, I guess :D But they dropped the idea and here's what we got.

And I agree with SirTahngarth, it's fun to play offline, while online you get such annoyances like ping, idling, spam, server advertising and such.

TehLlama

Aug 12, 2009
Minnesota
If you ask me Epic is done with PC gaming atleast any serious atempt, theyve seen the dollar signs on the console market with a fresh franchise GoW, unlike Unreal wich has had a couple of questionable releases under its belt and slight alienated fan base.

This worries me a bit. Unreal Tournament started on PC and Epic used to be only a PC developer (I'm pretty sure). I'm sort of broadening the topic a bit here, but what are your opinions on the "PC gaming is dying/dead" statement? I'd like to believe it's not, but I'm looking for some evidence.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Cache folder worked exactly the same way in ut2k4, I dont see that as a valid reason. The friends thing is/was annoying but hey, most of us are on steam now anyway.

No, zunnie has it right. The map sizes in UT2K4 were typically much much smaller. You can only fit a handful of UT3 maps in the default 300 Mb cache. So, you are downloading the same stuff over and over. The largest maps are WAR and vCTF, many are >100Mb each in size. DM and CTG are usually smaller, but still larger than the UT2K4 variety.

So what if you increase your cache size to 200 Gb? That works fine until your ini file gets overwritten by the default and you cache gets erased before you can replace the ini file with your backup.

I doubt most players are on steam, I am not and none in my clan are that I am aware of. So details like playing musical friend invites may turn off some players.

The game had an awful rough start and just never recovered. Video card drivers were a huge problem for many vista users as well as many xp users with high end or newer cards. ATI and nvidia did a really poor job for the first 6-9 months after the game was released. If you cannot run the game due to crashes for a long time, well I guess you just give up. I know of many who walked away early due to incompatible hardware. That is also part epics fault for not testing the game properly before release and not pressuring ATI and nvidia to fix the drivers.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
This worries me a bit. Unreal Tournament started on PC and Epic used to be only a PC developer (I'm pretty sure). I'm sort of broadening the topic a bit here, but what are your opinions on the "PC gaming is dying/dead" statement? I'd like to believe it's not, but I'm looking for some evidence.
I'd say that PC gaming will never die. The fact is that PCs are a lot more customisable and upgradable, so they have a huge advantage over consoles here. The only pro of console games is the player base I guess. And, of course, that consoles are built with games in mind, that is, you buy a console = you get a gaming station out of the box, you buy a PC = you get a work station out of the box. So to get a *good* gaming station out of PC, you pretty much need to assemble it yourself, and many people just don't want to be bothered with such things.

ofc maps are bigger in ut3 than in ut2k4. dm-box_with_a_light_in_it in ut3 is bigger than a complete ut1 map :)
Indeed, and the latter looks a lot, lot worse. In fact, that's one of the reasons why UT3 never sticked: the graphics are not much of an improvement from UT2004, yet the performance is horrible.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004

PC gamings is far from dead or dying, however we are going to have to accept the fact that we will see more and more titles go console exclusive.

So are some developers collapsing the PC market?

With some wonderful examples like

Halo2 for Windows Vista only, thats one way to screw anyone with XP from buying the game.

Or what Activision is doing with Modern warfare2 against PC users, they hike the price, wont sell you the hardened edition or the prestige edition. just the ****ty game.

The prestige edition comes with some extras like functional Nightvision goggles, similar to Halo3 Spartan helmet or GoW2 Lancer. Essentially its just silly but cool gimmicks if you happen to really like the game. But the crutch is not avalible for the PC market.

What better way to combat piracy by offering something you cant download of some torrent for the PC but then refuse to sell it alltogheter?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/30/pc-owners-spared-modern-warfare-2-bundles-difficult-decision/