Why is the Stinger Alt-Fire is underrated?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Is the stinger underpowered?

• Yes, it's a terrible weapon and I would never use it.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No, it's a perfectly fine method of getting kills.

Votes: 59 81.9%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Stinger alt fire is underrated because people can't use it correctly. There's a time and a place that it is perfect for. At a recent Ci practice I got a multi kill with the alt while defending the flag carrier. I almost got a Monster Kill with an amped alt stinger on that UMG server last night.

It's definitely effective when used properly. :p
I killed you a few times with it at FragBU last week :) Oh, I killed other people with it, too :)

SparksterºSanjulo

Mar 28, 2008
??

it seems to be similar to the U1 version, if i recall correctly it seems the secret to the weapon is making sure every shot hits, atleast thats how i used kill crap with that, but if you've got people flying across the map like bunnies with fireworks up their butts it's a lost cause, unless you have some sort of crazy leading skills

then again i might be thinking of the actual U1 version and not the UT3 version, but as far as i remember there isnt much diffrence between the two

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
It's actually pretty easy to generally hit people with, just lay down a spread in the general area where you think they'll be going, and if you connect it'll knock them back away from you (which means they're not moving forward or back), so you can just start juggling them with hits.

The knockback on the Stinger Alt fire doesn't knock back people, or doesn't stop their momentum?
I'm confuzzled. I've read this whole thing, and now have to go test and practice with the Sting-Alt a bit more than I've been doing.

This actually turned out to be quite informative for a guy like me who's having trouble adjusting to UT3.

I'd love to find somewhere where people are discussing much more strategy and play-style points of view.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
then again i might be thinking of the actual U1 version and not the UT3 version, but as far as i remember there isnt much diffrence between the two

The Unreal version's projectile-based fire is incredibly quicker, yet easier to use in my opinion, than the secondary fire of the UT3 Stinger, although it isn't as damaging and has no knockback.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Pings them backwards considerably.
In most cases it is pretty much unnoticeable since forward and backward momentum do not change drastically over time. The best way to see this in action is to hit someone who is dodging exactly perpendicular to you in mid air. They will get thrown back, but will also complete their dodging motion.

So, yes, it does a ton of knockback, but it also carries through whatever other momentum they had (which means you can throw them even farther by hitting them when they are moving in the direction of the hit).

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The Unreal version's projectile-based fire is incredibly quicker, yet easier to use in my opinion...

"And" I believe is the conjunction you were looking for ;)

Juggling with the UT3 stinger is a bit tough, because you really have to anticipate the hit. I usually scatter a "every other shot" type pattern, where I put one where they'd go if the last one hit, and the next where I think they'd go if it didn't. I also usually switch to the other fire after I get a couple in them to finish them off.

It's really weird to find the sweet ranges for the two different fires. The projectile fire is extremely accurate, so you'd think it'd be better at range, but the time to target hurts a bit, and the cone and rate of fire on the scan fire makes it feel much more devastating up close, but because it's instantaneous you wanna use it at the longer ranges...

I think that's the problem. It's hard to really get a good feel for the projectiles, because it's a constant debate as to which one is more effective at what ranges. I tend to think they are equally effective at each range, and it really depends on how much damage you gotta do, and or what weapon you are facing. VS rockets or flak, I'd say goto to projectiles to create space between you and your target. VS link, sniper, or shock, the primary is the way to go. Primary VS weaker targets as well, secondary if they are belted, and you don't feel like trying to steal it.