WTF is this?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
UT crashes as soon as I open the menu! I,ve tryed reinstalling and everything! Half-Life does too but only when you play it in 3dfx mode but not in software so I think it might be a graphic card thing (i,ve tryed reinstalling the graphics card drivers too) (its a voodoo 2). Heres a pic of the error message and the next post has the half-life one.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
It looks like .... for half life that there is a problem with that vgui.dll
(a .dll is almost always a graphical file)
I would do a file search on your pc to see where that particular file is located.
The location of this file would probably give you an insite to what is causing the problem.
If this just happened , than i think that perhaps you have recently installed something....or upgraded something that has corrupted or has conflicted with other programs.
Good ole win 2k and xp will tell you if there is any programs or system programs running in the background. I would take notice of what exact programs are running frequently. Be weary of the ones that you dont recognise. if you spot one that you dont recognise..... do a search for that file and find out where it is located.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
my bad...didnt complete my post.

If you find a file that is running that shouldnt be....shut it down....or uninstall that program. Its obvious its causing a prob.

LOL @ oosyxxx

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
I had similar problems recently when I installed a few older games on my new (WinME)computer. WoT-Ed and KHG-Ed wouldn't run because of missing or "outdated" .OCXs and .DLLs.
It's an issue of registry fuxxoration, while the old games don't install older versions of runtime-thingies than those you already have installed, they do at times change the alottet entries in the registry.
(re-)installing the latest version of directx usually helps fixing the faulty entries.
if that doesn't work, write down the precise name of the .dll or .ocx a program has problems with, and then search for that file on google. put it into window's system folder, and regedit manually.

Soldier of fortune platamin also mentions different files too (2 in fact :) ) annoying that i,ll have too renistall all my ut mods and stuff thinking that was the problem as I hadent tryed other games. I,ll try reinstalling the latest directx before I do anything drastic.

TheRealFluffy

Retired Attention Whore
OGOD IS THAT WINDOWS 95???????? ogod that's crap.. no wonder your pc crashes, ...

I think it's 95 because of the icons of my computer and the recycle bin... they have no multicolored icons... hm... maybe an increase of speed?????? if it has it's advantages I'll change them... Man this pc can be much faster... I feel it

No it's 98 i see it because of the title bar

Windows 98 is good
btw: I'm a tweaker

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
if you are a real tweaker you would know 98 sux :D

youre sure the card is installed correctly ? delete card from pc, and totaly reinstall maybe (only software offcourse), cause had this stuff too, that when isntalling some older stuff stays on the hd and gives conflicts, its gone here trough a format :)

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
98 good ???

well, lets do this

you leave your pc 1 week on, dont reboot it, and you run every day the daily things like surfing and mailing and other small stuff, and you run games, and progs like photshop, 3dsmax, unrealed, ... and after a week youll tell me how many times you chrashed or windows became fuxxored (prolly around 80 times)

i know my answer allready, it will be 0....

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
and besides that, i ont think i have soo much optionbs inw in98 as in xp and 2k, security options, speed, settings, perfect control over everything what happends, log files, everything, you dont have any of those in win98, and besides that, you cant run 98 anymore with fast pcs, it only supports 128 ram, i have 768 ram , win98 could never work with that good, it prolly chrashes on botting or something